Tetley's Adelphi Assassins Annihilate Matthew Brown's Boys CK

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Tetley's Adelphi Assassins Annihilate Matthew Brown's Boys CK

Post by eric olthwaite »

Anyway, results below us were all handy enough today.
Member of a clique
Quiffy

Post by Quiffy »

last week i remember being told that my opinion that we'd may concede an equaliser was bollocks by DL, which prompted a rethink this week. i stopped this negative, leedsy, nonsense and believed we'd not concede in that sticky period mid second half.

basically our defence is pretty fucking mint now. as well as being very good players they've played together as a unit enough times to have real understanding and communication. they seem to be making the right decisions more of the time, they're pragmatic as well as talented.

clean sheets :salute: :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.
Quiffy

Post by Quiffy »

a bit of googling shows that after 20 games we've conceded 20 goals, the second best in the league. the best is leicester with a pretty remarkable 12. considering the mixed start to the season where we conceded 7 in the first 4 it's looking like we've got a solid foundation, it feels a more solid foundation than the bielsa years (haven't checked this, so phil can kick me later).

edit... phil took too long. after 20 games in the 2019/20 season we'd only conceded 10 goals! :shock:
please disregard my earlier positivity.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.
AmarinderBedi

Post by AmarinderBedi »

It’s hard not to feel we’ll finish 3rd with a points total which would have won the more league in most previous years and 20 points ahead of 6th who’ll fluke past us in the play off semi (with Southampton waiting to beat in the Play off final if we somehow come through the semi).
Quiffy

Post by Quiffy »

AmarinderBedi wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:37 pm
It’s hard not to feel we’ll finish 3rd with a points total which would have won the more league in most previous years and 20 points ahead of 6th who’ll fluke past us in the play off semi (with Southampton waiting to beat in the Play off final if we somehow come through the semi).
i don't find it hard not to feel that. we're not even halfway through the season, we've seen how it can all fall apart in the last quarter of a season when we looked pretty indestructible in 2018/19. things will change. the championship has got some jagged rocks to negotiate before port is reached. have faith amerinder*.

*injuries aside.
Phil LUFC

Post by Phil LUFC »

Quiffy wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:35 pm
a bit of googling shows that after 20 games we've conceded 20 goals, the second best in the league. the best is leicester with a pretty remarkable 12. considering the mixed start to the season where we conceded 7 in the first 4 it's looking like we've got a solid foundation, it feels a more solid foundation than the bielsa years (haven't checked this, so phil can kick me later).

edit... phil took too long. after 20 games in the 2019/20 season we'd only conceded 10 goals! :shock:
Had we really?! That's Ben White for you! Actually, my memory of that season is we looked like we'd concede every time we lost the ball but somehow it never seemed to translate to shots. The difference between god Bielsa defending and bad often felt like luck.

My only nervousness today came from the pink kit, I'm pleased we've got over that (Ampadu tweeted about it so the players clearly knew).
Billy Casper

Post by Billy Casper »

AmarinderBedi wrote:
There speaks experience. I have that too, however I’m trying to be far more optimistic. I’m really trying very hard. Really trying.
Bueno!
Poshwhite

Post by Poshwhite »

AmarinderBedi wrote:
The only thing I’d quibble with is that I expect us to hammer the opposition in the semi and completely crumble at Wembley. Not being promoted with the highest ever points total not to be promoted sounds very Leeds to me.
Bobbycollins

Post by Bobbycollins »

Earlier, I read Eric's post at the top of this page about results for the teams below being handy and I thought that I don't really care about those below us, as apart from Southampton, they are are consistently inconsistent, so I went and made our tea.

As regards play-offs, I've already sent my letter to Santa, in which I asked for an Ipswich slump for Christmas (and I like my Christmas presents early). I've been to far too many losing finals and semi-finals to regards the play-offs other than with dread.
Trumper

Post by Trumper »

Ipswich play us just before Xmas then play Leicester twice in four weeks. I don’t think they’ll be able to maintain this all season. Less experience and depth than us
Rob

Post by Rob »

Phil LUFC wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:06 pm
Quiffy wrote:

Had we really?! That's Ben White for you! Actually, my memory of that season is we looked like we'd concede every time we lost the ball but somehow it never seemed to translate to shots. The difference between god Bielsa defending and bad often felt like luck.

My only nervousness today came from the pink kit, I'm pleased we've got over that (Ampadu tweeted about it so the players clearly knew).
Doesn’t the kit we haven’t won in away for more than 900 days refer to our change trip and not the third option ? Good though to win in the rhubarb and custard number and not just when wearing white away.
Phil LUFC

Post by Phil LUFC »

Rob wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm
Phil LUFC wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:06 pm
Quiffy wrote:

Doesn’t the kit we haven’t won in away for more than 900 days refer to our change trip and not the third option ? Good though to win in the rhubarb and custard number and not just when wearing white away.
It was Brentford away for any none-white kit, the purple was 3rd that season. It's been reported that Burnley away the season before was the last away kit win (blue/green stripes). But I don't think it matters at this point, I think it's the non-white kit but rather than a specific kit which matters, given they're all new every season. Another chance to make it an irrelevance at Sunderland, where we'll be in blue.

Clearly its superstitious bullshit but as long as it was a thing there was a slim risk it was in some players heads.
Ponte

Post by Ponte »

dirty leeds wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:54 pm
Apparently when he woke up, his palms were sweaty.
Wakefield White

Post by Wakefield White »

Ponte wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:01 pm
[quote="dirty leeds" post_id=548958 time=<a href="tel:1702140858">1702140858</a> user_id=47]
Apparently when he woke up, his palms were sweaty.
[/quote]

:salute: :lol:
Matt White

Post by Matt White »

Do we really think the players give a flying one about previous stats while wearing a particular kit ?

Anyway I saw the second half and we looked veery comfortable thank you. MOT.
Terre Harte II

Post by Terre Harte II »

Bobbycollins wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:22 pm
Terre Harte II wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:54 pm
Bobbycollins wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:27 pm
Good away win against the team 7th in the table. We still have to play 6 of the top half teams away and each of those teams is cabable of beating us if we don't turn up, so we need to be more clincal when chances arise and hold the ball better in midfield. Nice to be able to watch the rest of the results today, without a feeling of disappointment.
Another way to look at it is that we only have to play two of the current top eight away, and those two are before the month ends, so we’re in a good spot in that regard with our direct competition largely having to come to Elland Road.
Typical of you Terre - glass full to overflowing and cascading down the stairs :roll: .
That's me, the fountain of optimism!
"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa
Bobbycollins

Post by Bobbycollins »

Terre Harte II wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:46 am
Bobbycollins wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:22 pm
Terre Harte II wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:54 pm

Another way to look at it is that we only have to play two of the current top eight away, and those two are before the month ends, so we’re in a good spot in that regard with our direct competition largely having to come to Elland Road.
Typical of you Terre - glass full to overflowing and cascading down the stairs :roll: .
That's me, the fountain of optimism!
You'll never make it as a Yorkshireman.