Trevor Cherry. RIP.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
welshwhite

Trevor Cherry. RIP.

Postby welshwhite » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Needs his own thread. RIP.
399 games for us in a ten year spell.

Among other things he won the title with us in 1973/4 and also played in our semi-final win in the European cup against Barcelona.

1975 was a mixed year for Cherry. Injury curtailed half of his season, but he recovered in time to help Leeds in their European Cup campaign as it progressed towards the semi-finals and a game against Barcelona. Cherry marked Dutch legend Johan Cruyff out of each leg as Leeds reached the final,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Cherry

OWETB

Re: Trevor Cherry. RIP.

Postby OWETB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:48 pm

This year can get to fuck.

AmarinderBedi

Postby AmarinderBedi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:48 pm

welshwhite wrote:Needs his own thread. RIP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Cherry

Good grief! Excellent defender - underrated.

RIP Trevor

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:51 pm

OWETB wrote:This year can get to fuck.

Was just going to post the same thing.

RIP Trevor. Far too young to go. Fuck 2020.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:07 pm

The lufcfilms series, even though it covers the back end of Trevor Cherry's career, demonstrate how good he was and allowed me to experience his contributions, at least from afar.

RIP Trevor Cherry.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:10 pm

during the 100 year anniversary you looked at all the old players and saw how they'd aged, trevor cherry had gone grey but looked really fresh and well. this is a sad shock. RIP trevor.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:13 pm

Quiffy wrote:during the 100 year anniversary you looked at all the old players and saw how they'd aged, trevor cherry had gone grey but looked really fresh and well. this is a sad shock. RIP trevor.

Yeah, he did look in decent nick. Very sad. A later addition to the great team that deserved to be there.

Tommy

Trevor Cherry. RIP.

Postby Tommy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Absolutely out of the blue. Very sad.

Great photo of him with Cruyff from the famous semi-finals against Barcelona. By all accounts did a number on him in both legs.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Boyhood memories. Another one of the greats passes. RIP Trevor and thanks for some fantastic times.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:34 pm

:thumbd:

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:45 pm

When I started going to matches, this man was captain. Very very sad. Somebody posted this on Twitter.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:31 am

Another sad day.
A few things stand out in my memory - tho one may be false.
I remember him coming with that other bloke Ellam in what seemed like a package deal, although I am sure Revie must have have rated Ellam also. But at the time I did not understand why we needed Ellam.
Very proud for him when he was picked for England - he quite simply deserved it.
And the first thing that came to mind was Brian Moore shouting (excitedly saying, at least) "Trevor Cherry" - presumably scoring an important goal, but I have not found it on youtube yet - the few I have found were Motson.

RIP Trevor Cherry

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:05 am

Nice photo of him and Hunter in the 74 Charity Shield in the graun

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:16 am

Tommy wrote:Absolutely out of the blue. Very sad.

Great photo of him with Cruyff from the famous semi-finals against Barcelona. By all accounts did a number on him in both legs.

Ooh I'm having that. Cruyff is my favorite non - Leeds player. I hope that those semi-finals will be shown somewhere.
RIP Top Cat (that was the nickname we had for him in Swinnow Moor primary class of 70-74).

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:33 am

Another I never saw play but a big piece of our history and very sad to hear. RIP Trevor, guess my scarf is going back in the window.

Matt - Why top cat? That was always Cooper wasn't it? Was it some sort of left back thing given that he replaced Cooper?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:53 am

Blackwhite wrote:Nice photo of him and Hunter in the 74 Charity Shield in the graun

Looks like he missed the tackle, though . . .

Steve Heighway for the bins?
HM Collector Of Parcels

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:11 am

Guessing they'll put it on Youtube as well like they did with the Southampton one.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:28 am

Thing I remember most about Trevor Cherry was his ability in the air and the fact that he was always reliable in whichever position he played. Not sure about the bit in bold however, which I've seen attributed to Leon Wobshall. According to Lorimer "There was never any question of detailing someone to shadow Cruyff all over the pitch, but as soon as Barcelona got the ball anywhere near our half, we were on to him. Whether it be Norman Hunter, Big Jack (Charlton) or Paul Madeley, it didn't matter. Nearest man would get tight on him so that, if the ball was played to him, he had no space to turn and run at us."

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:12 am

Bobbycollins wrote:

Thing I remember most about Trevor Cherry was his ability in the air and the fact that he was always reliable in whichever position he played. Not sure about the bit in bold however, which I've seen attributed to Leon Wobshall. According to Lorimer "There was never any question of detailing someone to shadow Cruyff all over the pitch, but as soon as Barcelona got the ball anywhere near our half, we were on to him. Whether it be Norman Hunter, Big Jack (Charlton) or Paul Madeley, it didn't matter. Nearest man would get tight on him so that, if the ball was played to him, he had no space to turn and run at us."

if i was going to quibble about details i might point out that charlton had retired before cruyff joined barca [good old hotshot] but, still, that's a grand tale indeed :salute: .

barry white

Postby barry white » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:19 am

RIP TC

1 of my faves as a kid

Return to “The Square Ball”