O/T conspiracy theories

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

O/T conspiracy theories

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Following on from this post:

Wakefield White wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:a) Why do some people think the virus is a hoax and

b) Why are 100% of those people politically right wing?

Appreciate that this was rhetorical, but I recall reading that people use conspiracy theories to add an illusion of order to things that they can’t comprehend on an intellectual and/or emotional level.

This shit fascinates me and I thought it deserved its own thread.

I get the conspiracy theory stereotype as above, and I gather that the majority of such types tend to believe several. But then there’s people like a Facebook friend of ours, got to know through kids and bump into her once every year or two. Given all other measures you’d say she was perfectly normal, rational outlook on life, liberal left politics. But when it comes to one issue only - 5G - she’s absolutely tinfoil batshit and we’re all going to die. I don’t get it. If we knew her better I’d ask where this came from, but I’d rather not go there. Just weird.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Re: O/T conspiracy theories

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 pm

Can someone explain this 5G thing, seen it referred to but I'm not sure I've understood what these masts are supposed to be doing to me, and I think I should know :burnley:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 am

One of the biggest more recent conspiracy theories was that Obama was not a US national - and this fact was being covered up numerous government agencies, the church, etc.
Its most vocal proponent was of course Trump, who promised countless times that he had info and would let us all know.
Of course, he never did.

So... come the last election 46.1% of of voters chose to overlook the fact that he is a chancer and a liar - who had been lying to his own voting base for years - and elected him president.
I think this means that anyone will give voice to (even if they don't really believe it) any conspiracy theory that either covers over cracks in their preferred candidate or is part of their echo chamber.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:45 am

Serious Right wingers think they should be in the tent pissing out but they're not so they invent a reason why not

Serious Left wingers are already living in a Fantasy so don't need to

Both are deluded;end of thread

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 am

Blackwhite wrote:Can someone explain this 5G thing, seen it referred to but I'm not sure I've understood what these masts are supposed to be doing to me, and I think I should know :burnley:

You wouldn't understand. As I'm under the impression you may have more than 2 brain cells to rub together

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:13 am

Chemtrails theory cranks have been discussed on here before, and I did spend an amusing hour having someone lay that one out for me, asking questions about the logistics of how this shadowy World Govt was getting this done etc.

Amazing the contortions these folks will get into.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:16 am

Blackwhite wrote:Can someone explain this 5G thing, seen it referred to but I'm not sure I've understood what these masts are supposed to be doing to me, and I think I should know :burnley:

Isn't it just the repetition of the "cell phones give you cancer" bull, but because 5g is shorter range and needs more masts, that equates to a higher carcinogenic risk. Or because 5G is that much faster, you get it more quickly?
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:32 am

Aren't they blaming the miley on it?

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:35 am

Amongst other things. Cancer, autism, infertility, Alzheimer’s, and avian culls.

:roll:
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 am

Ok when I get bored later I'll wander down that hole. Cheers Devi.

Edit to add cos it's just popped into my head, BITD Swans had a mental soundsystem on one of their tours and were playing around with deep sub frequencies, and I heard apocryphal stories of birds flying in front of the stack and falling stunned to the ground.
Gira you dirty 5G bastard...

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 am

Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:46 am

I posted for the picture. But, having read the tweet I’m calling Poe’s law.

Edit - no it’s parody
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:51 am

Makes a lot of sense. Mind. Blown.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 am

Weaponised 5G Bat would be a great name for a thrash metal band
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:21 am

i'm calling bullshit on that. there's no pangolin. everyone knows it's there fault.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 am

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:58 am

I do have genuine concerns about 5G as it goes, and as follows:

It is clearly utterly unsustainable to install a 4G network and then watch it become obsolete in a few years. And then know that 5G itself will become equally obsolete in a few more years. At one point will we say, ‘Our phones are fast enough’? It’s mental.

But I don’t think it’s going to fry my brain - unless you count Don Goodman’s commentaries.
HM Collector Of Parcels

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 am

We never landed on the Moon either. Sting is a fucking bullshitter.

I'm surprised people like Brett buys the cunts music :thumbd:

No doubt he also listens to ELO, McCartney, Collins & Meatloaf :shake1:

Have a fucking word with youself, B.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:02 am

welshwhite wrote:We never landed on the Moon, Sting is a fucking bullshitter :thumbd:

There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:16 am

eric olthwaite wrote:. And then know that 5G itself will become equally obsolete in a few more years. At one point will we say, ‘Our phones are fast enough’? It’s mental..

5G isn't really about phones even if they expect us all to upgrade, its about connected devices and a connected society. The dream of companies like Ericsson is pretty much to have everything connected, and in that world 4G just does not cut it.

https://www.ericsson.com/en/5g/what-is-5g

Return to “The Square Ball”