Panic buying .

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Clacton white

Panic buying .

Postby Clacton white » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:35 am

I don't know what its like in the majority of foruim members area's here , but down here in Essex its bloody insane . This infection has bought out th every worst traits in humanity - every man ( or woman ) for themselves as people panic buy almost every essential for life , and in alot of cases not so essentials . I mean - what are you going to do with 8 or more weeks of toilet rolls worth in your house - enough food to feed a small army . If only every one thought - do everything pretty much as normal food & provision wise we would all be getting on a lot better right now . Asda , Tesco , Maorrison , Aldi , Lidl - all sold out of toilet roll , pasta , milk - down our way .
If we had WW2 right now , we wouldn't have a hope - that old thing where everyone helped each other - a thing of long ago . IMO anyone piling up stocks of stuff should be fined or jailed .... I have heard of a few people buying toilet roll and selling on at a fair old profit . Good job they probably won't have car boot sales for a while to get rid of their stuff . Hopefully things will return to normal soon er rather than later and they're stuck with stuff they don't need .
Any thoughts ?

Vampire

Re: Panic buying .

Postby Vampire » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:40 am

Supermarkets applying limits on how much you can buy here - but of course that doesn’t stop some folks just loading the car and going back for more.

PM called panic buying “un-Australian” yesterday. You can’t use stronger language than that.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:45 am

Almost as bad as Panic Thread Starting, imo.

Ponte!!

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 am

It's been relatively tame in Wakefield, from what I've seen: the shelves are mostly stripped of pasta but you can get pretty much any other foodstuff. Everywhere seems to be having the toilet roll problem: the problem with that one is that now hoarding makes a certain amount of sense as it is actually scarce due to hoarders! Not sure what everyone thinks they're gonna need all this loo roll for.

Both Sainsbury's and Asda have announced plans to ration purchases today (something like max 2 or 3 of any given product) and I imagine all the other major supermarkets will follow suit.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 am

I have stocks of stuff, lots of different things. I have been getting extra stuff for years and have not bought anything in a panic. The reason I have stocks is because years ago I had a pretty shit time financially when the recession was on, so getting something as simple as some washing liquid smashed a huge hole in my benefits. I think I got something like £62 a week - from that I still had all my bills to pay including my mortgage etc. When I managed to get out of the mess I vowed that I will never ever be in that position again, it was soul destroying and made me pretty ill with stress and worry.

So when I do my monthly shop I always buy something extra, might be bog roll, deodorant, cooking oil - anything that is on offer and it wont go off.

Asda had an offer on Mac3 razor blades a few years ago, the recommended price was £30 but they were down to £10, I bought enough that I will not ever have to buy anymore, washing liquid was half price, I got ten years worth. Tin foil, bin bags, bog roll the fucking lot but I have not had any impact on anyone else as when I got stuff it was plentyful and I make zero fucking apologies for having loads of stuff. If anyone I know needs owt, I will gladly sort them out.

Poshwhite

Postby Poshwhite » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:48 am

This part of South West London is the same. Toilet roll, pasta, rice, tins, flour all missing from the bigger supermarkets for the last fortnight or so. Yesterday lunchtime the vegetable options in the local Sainsburys were aubergines, spring onions and mushrooms. The twats were also panic buying petrol at the Sainsbury's petrol station as well.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:49 am

We can't get nappies for the kids, obviously soap and pasta in short supply. Let's not mention bog roll.

Hopefully in a week or so the stupid cunts will see the shelves keep getting stocked and calm down

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:49 am

dirty leeds wrote:Almost as bad as Panic Thread Starting, imo.

Ponte!!

He needs to calm the fuck down, during times like these we need to maintain a sensible approach to forum etiquette and starting threads on subjects being covered in other threads is certainly not the way to go about it.

I hop he is thoroughly ashamed of himself.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:49 am

OWETB wrote:I have stocks of stuff, lots of different things. I have been getting extra stuff for years and have not bought anything in a panic. The reason I have stocks is because years ago I had a pretty shit time financially when the recession was on, so getting something as simple as some washing liquid smashed a huge hole in my benefits. I think I got something like £62 a week - from that I still had all my bills to pay including my mortgage etc. When I managed to get out of the mess I vowed that I will never ever be in that position again, it was soul destroying and made me pretty ill with stress and worry.

So when I do my monthly shop I always buy something extra, might be bog roll, deodorant, cooking oil - anything that is on offer and it wont go off.

Asda had an offer on Mac3 razor blades a few years ago, the recommended price was £30 but they were down to £10, I bought enough that I will not ever have to buy anymore, washing liquid was half price, I got ten years worth. Tin foil, bin bags, bog roll the fucking lot but I have not had any impact on anyone else as when I got stuff it was plentyful and I make zero fucking apologies for having loads of stuff. If anyone I know needs owt, I will gladly sort them out.

Nothing wrong with that; we've always tended to buy stuff like pasta, beans, tinned tomatoes etc in bulk every couple of months rather than every week. Wouldn't do it now, though, obviously. Needs must.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 am

yeah, some of this recent panic buying has been a bit coontish.

but i do hope/think things won't get *that* bad provided you're flexible.

e.g. i wanted to buy some cereal last night, went to sainsbury's, a row of shelves that'd normally stock at least a couple of dozen boxes each of a couple of dozen different types of cereal was almost entirely empty, but they had one or two bits left including a really big [maybe 0.75kg] box of bran flakes, not somethign i'd normally choose but i was perfectly happy to buy it & it'll last me a month.

London_White

Postby London_White » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 am

Will try the local supermarkets later as WFH, where I work the Morrisons and ASDA (yep it's a high class part of London) were out of bog roll,kitchen roll, pasta*, tinned toms, passata and ready made pasta sauce - I didn't need any but just saw the empty shelves - madness.

*except gluten free pasta - even in a crisis people won't buy that shit!

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:54 am

Ponte wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Almost as bad as Panic Thread Starting, imo.

Ponte!!

He needs to calm the fuck down, during times like these we need to maintain a sensible approach to forum etiquette and starting threads on subjects being covered in other threads is certainly not the way to go about it.

I hop he is thoroughly ashamed of himself.

I hop so too. Sage words.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:54 am

The funny thing about our local Sainsbury's - a pretty big one - is that the pasta aisle was completely bare apart from the most expensive, bronze-died pappardelle, which was almost untouched. You can scare people into panic buying but you can't scare the tight out of Yorkshire.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:55 am

They’ve had to put security on the food bank donations bin at Hove Tesco because folk were robbing it.

Cunts.
HM Collector Of Parcels

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:56 am

i am hoping to use this opportunity to lose a few pounds, consume a bit less.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:59 am

Posted the below elsewhere, but fits in this thread...

Seen more than a few posts on FB from parents not being able to buy stuff for their kids like nappies, wet wipes, formula etc. I understand others buying extra to make sure their own kids don't go without but doing it to the detriment of others show just how fucking selfish this society is.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:The funny thing about our local Sainsbury's - a pretty big one - is that the pasta aisle was basicaslly completely bare apart from the most expensive, bronze-died pappardelle, which was almost untouched. You can scare people into panic buying but you can't scare the tight out of Yorkshire.

We live 200 yards from Waitrose and the fresh pasta in the fridge isn’t overselling at all. Just nip down there before I cook. C’est la vie.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Poshwhite

Postby Poshwhite » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:The funny thing about our local Sainsbury's - a pretty big one - is that the pasta aisle was basicaslly completely bare apart from the most expensive, bronze-died pappardelle, which was almost untouched. You can scare people into panic buying but you can't scare the tight out of Yorkshire.

Our Sainsbury's only having Chardonnay or a Hungarian white wine on the shelves yesterday amused me. Can't stop SW London being snobs!

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Poshwhite wrote:Our Sainsbury's only having Chardonnay or a Hungarian white wine on the shelves yesterday amused me. Can't stop SW London being snobs!

There’s some good Hungarian whites.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:They’ve had to put security on the food bank donations bin at Hove Tesco because folk were robbing it.

Cunts.

Heard from staff at Pinderfields in Wakefield that some people have been breaking the sanitiser off the end of beds and nicking them.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”