VAR the fuck?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
jackos

VAR the fuck?

Postby jackos » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm

Watching Malmö v Wolfburg in the Europa League, Wolfsburg were just awarded a goal after a VAR decision. Wolfsburg are attacking, ball is knocked in, Lino raises his flag off, offside, Wolfsburg continue playing and [fuckknowsWho] scores a very nice goal from outside the area. Offside so no goal. Malmö players saw the flag and stopped playing. Ref then signals for VAR. VAR awards the goal. Malmö fans go ballistic. Half time.

Not a big fan of Malmö bit fuck me Id be pissed off if that was us, even if the Malmö plagers shouldnt have stopped when the flag went up. Fuck VAR

Pontus is not happy

Translated without the swearing by the man himself

welshwhite

Re: VAR the fuck?

Postby welshwhite » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Goal-line technology is fantastic. VAR is right 19 times out of 20.

I'm all for it, we more than most will rely on it when we go up for any dodgy decisions in our games.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Seems crazy - but its always been ignore the lino and play to the ref's whistle.
This is no different.
But yes, the VAR reviewers tend to produce some shit outcomes.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:Seems crazy - but its always been ignore the lino and play to the ref's whistle.
This is no different.
But yes, the VAR reviewers tend to produce some shit outcomes.

They need ex pro footballers to review it, for the big games at least.

Sniffer
Hot-shot
Big Jack

For our games :thumbl:

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:15 pm

welshwhite wrote:Goal-line technology is fantastic. VAR is right 19 times out of 20.

I'm all for it, we more than most will rely on it when we go up for any dodgy decisions in our games.

All for goal line technology, but VAR is shit, at least together with the offside rule. If you need a computer to help you figure out if someone is offside then they’re not off friggin side. In this case the Wolfsburg player definitely was not offside, but VAR decisions like this definitely give teams that are used to it an advantage. The Bundesliga players played on, half Malmös Allsvensk defence didn’t.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:17 pm

Just had a look. Malmo didn’t stop playing so I can’t see that the flag going up made any difference.

It’s an issue though, it’s going to get to the stage where the Lino will only flag for very obvious offsides. Will end up like rugby union I imagine, where the ref will let play flow and will get clarification on goals after the event.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Lino is supposed to keep his flag down unless he's 100% sure then put it up when the move is over if he thinks it was offside but close.

Players are supposed to play to the whistle.

VAR is supposed to actually get things right when reviewed.

Was it Newcastle who scored a goal earlier this season when every fucked had stopped because of a flag and the goal was given? That one really was a farce.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Wakefield White wrote:Just had a look. Malmo didn’t stop playing so I can’t see that the flag going up made any difference.

Don’t know which footage you’re watching, but Bachirou and Christiansen definitely stopped playing, and I guess it influenced other as well.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Lino is supposed to keep his flag down unless he's 100% sure then put it up when the move is over if he thinks it was offside but close.

This is what Swedish papers are saying, Lino should have waited if he was uncertain, so he was at fault, but what if he was certain it was offside?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 pm

jackos wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Lino is supposed to keep his flag down unless he's 100% sure then put it up when the move is over if he thinks it was offside but close.

This is what Swedish papers are saying, Lino should have waited if he was uncertain, so he was at fault, but what if he was certain it was offside?

Incompetent?

Regardless of what mistakes the officials made, the players are responsible for their own actions and must carry on because they know VAR can overrule the officials, they've got to assume the lino is wrong in that situation. The Newcastle goal was right to stand, as ludicrous a situation as it was. I haven't seen this one but if he wasn't offside and no other offense was committed then tough shit, the goal is right to stand, it's what VAR is there for.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:48 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
jackos wrote:

Incompetent?

probably just an honest mistake, ironically the sort that people seem to be hankering for because they don't like VAR either.

dunno if you've ever tried running a line or reffing but in real time with the human eyes and human brain, it's very difficult, you're never going to get it all correct, hence the refs trying to get VAR to help them out. so long as people can accept it's never going to be perfect (and more often than not you can see players showing they get it wrong by appealing for all sorts of crap), then people may see it's an improvement.(if you define an improvement as more decisions being correct)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:58 pm

jackos wrote:
Wakefield White wrote:Just had a look. Malmo didn’t stop playing so I can’t see that the flag going up made any difference.

Don’t know which footage you’re watching, but Bachirou and Christiansen definitely stopped playing, and I guess it influenced other as well.

Just the BT sport app on my phone... player who went to block the shot and the keeper didn’t stop from what I saw. No one else was in a position to influence play, I’d be surprised if there was more than a second from the flag going up to the shot being taken.

Be interesting to know if the Lino is from a league which has VAR?
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Quiffy wrote:probably just an honest mistake, ironically the sort that people seem to be hankering for because they don't like VAR either.

dunno if you've ever tried running a line or reffing but in real time with the human eyes and human brain, it's very difficult, you're never going to get it all correct, hence the refs trying to get VAR to help them out. so long as people can accept it's never going to be perfect (and more often than not you can see players showing they get it wrong by appealing for all sorts of crap), then people may see it's an improvement.(if you define an improvement as more decisions being correct)

I've found myself as near full time lino for the boys team as it happens, there's 3 of us prepared to do it, down from 4 last season but 1 of the others works away a lot and the other is practically always carrying some sort of injury (hernia op, now something with his knee).

It's definitely changed my viewpoint, I find I'm more tuned in for when to glance over at the lino. It's also helped me appreciate the difficulty in certain situations. Sometimes I forget who played the ball when it unexpectedly goes out of play because someone misses the ball. I expected long basis over the top to be difficult but they're surprisingly not, the difficult ones are the ones down the near touchline due to the need to watch for throws as well as the line if the last man.

VAR would likely prove I'm worse at it than I think I am but as they're all 12 I can keep up with play (though last weekend they had a quick winger and made good use of him, I was fucking knackered!).

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm

Just imagine if VAR was around for our European Cup final in 1975 or even if it were here for the Wes Brown og. Then there was the WBA goal that was well offside that stopped us winning the old first division title.

There is no incident in my memory where we have gained anything by foul means.
A few history changing things against us though.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:25 pm

welshwhite wrote:There is no incident in my memory where we have gained anything by foul means.

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
welshwhite wrote:There is no incident in my memory where we have gained anything by foul means.

Throw your medals in the bin :thumbl:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:37 am

welshwhite wrote:Goal-line technology is fantastic. VAR is right 19 times out of 20.

welshwhite wrote:Just imagine if VAR was around for our European Cup final in 1975 or even if it were here for the Wes Brown og. Then there was the WBA goal that was well offside that stopped us winning the old first division title.

Spot on, Rhys.

VAR would have been handy for some past World Cups too.

The winner may well have been different in 1966.

Not to mention 2006.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:59 am

Vampire wrote:
Not to mention 2006.

That was a shocker, B.

Hopefully when VAR is sorted correctly things like that will be a thing of the past.
That's the type of thing that would happen to LUFC in a play-off final.
It has no place in football.

Return to “The Square Ball”