Happy Thanksgiving!

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Terre Harte II

Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby Terre Harte II » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:59 am

It is Thanksgiving here in the States. I am thankful to be a part of this fascinating Square Ball collective, so cheers to you all! I will be eating my fair share of turkey (dark meat > white meat by a wide margin), stuffing, etc., thankful, among many other things, that Bielsa and company have Leeds contending instead of pretending.

I’m not sure what the UK thinks, if it thinks at all, of Thanksgiving, but when I went on my honeymoon in Paris 20 years ago, they laughed at it on a morning news show. I laughed back because it does seem a weird tradition from afar, rife with the contradictions that checker much of American life and our traditions.

In line with that, I will eat turkey today, even though the Native American tribes who shared it with the Pilgrims were eventually wiped out by disease and repression brought by the Pilgrims. I will be thankful, even though the tradition is tied to what amounted to a wackadoodle, Calvinist religious cult. I will watch football even though the NFL is the most venal of all American pro sports conglomerates and not worthy of the holiday.

(I’m also not pleased right now with the Leeds 49ers for tarring-and-feathering my Green Bay Packers on Sunday night.)

All of the above are uncomfortable truths, but at the core of Thanksgiving, is getting together with family. So I’ll live with the contradictions and enjoy the more wholesome tradition it’s evolved into.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

the flying pig

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby the flying pig » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 am

ha.

well, yeah, we're all on some level the descendents of folk who successfully invaded and/or subjugated/massacred some other folk, i suppose thanksgiving is that bit more controversial because the genocide was relatively recent & this is a specific celebration of it.

enjoy your turkey.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:06 am

Some light reading for you this Thanksgiving, Terre Harte II.

Interested to know which of the seven American tribes identified in the research you most identify with.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:21 am

Vampire wrote:Some light reading for you this Thanksgiving, Terre Harte II.

Interested to know which of the seven American tribes identified in the research you most identify with.

are you more of an 'invasion day' or 'sorry day' kinda chap?

FER

Postby FER » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:37 pm

How hard is it drummed into US kids to 'be thankful' on Thanksgiving? Every time I hear about it, there's always some Yank talking about how they're thankful for some bullshit or other! I mean, 'Thanks to my MOM for pushing me outta her clunge' is fine if you're happy with life, but what about those who don't feel they've anything to be thankful for?

Maybe I just don't get it.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Fuck the yanks and fuck thanksgiving.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Not sure if Thanksgiving is something that would ever take off here ....though saying that we now have Black Friday , a relatively new thing here ...and Halloween has overtaken Guy Fawkes night in terms of popularity ( though I don't see someone failing to blow up parliament as reason too celebrate ....commiserate more really :D . Guess the world is changing though and things pass us by as time goes on .

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:40 pm

I have to go over again very soon and I just hope by the time I get there that the lazy fuckers are doing some work again.

Thanksgiving pardoning of turkeys apparently going ahead even though neither of them ever stabbed an Iraqi boy in the neck and killed him while laughing. Standards slipping for the orange cunt.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:11 pm

What the fuck is this Yankee Doodle shitefuckery all about

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Clacton white wrote:Not sure if Thanksgiving is something that would ever take off here

When I were a young lad - several billion years ago - we used to take Harvest Festival (mid-September?) quite seriously. I guess that's what Thanksgiving is really: thanking the sky fairies for the harvest and all that. It basically involved taking a tin of beans and a few apples to school and then down the church for onward distribution. But no one fucks about with churches these days, so I'd have thought the chances of Thanksgiving getting a foot in the door here are pretty slim.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Ah, Harvest Festival as a kid... All those corn dollies in a draughty church are so fucking Wicker Man it's untrue.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Well, this took a turn, but I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

For the record, Thanksgiving started as an English tradition in the Reformation. The Pilgrims brought the tradition with them over here. Guy Fawkes Day has its roots in the original Thanksgiving tradition. So the notion of giving thanks, which I see nothing wrong with, comes from you. Thanks?

And being lectured about subjugating other cultures is a extremely rich. Almost all of the subjugators in the first 150 years were first or second generation British, especially regarding the New England and East Coast tribes. The UK had direct control over Canada in the same period of our westward expansion and enacted similarly genocidal policies in theirs.

And I think it’s fairly well-documented the British Empire wasn’t exactly enlightened when it came to dealing with the native peoples it encountered in the three continents it held sway over parts of.

For every shitheel like Andrew Jackson or terrible act of slaughter like Wounded Knee in our past, there’s (at least) a Cecil Rhodes or Armritsar in yours.

So let’s not pull a muscle trying to claim the moral high ground. Neither of our countries has any claim to it in terms of how we treated native peoples in our territories.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:16 pm

'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:24 pm

My ears hate you.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Its about family.
A colleague is taking her grandchildren to the family get together because she feels its important for them to stay connected to their cousins, and this is the day to reinforce that (her daughter has to work).
For those of us who don't have family here its 2 days off and an opportunity for some online shopping deals - unless its time for a new tv, in which case we head to costco (or walmart, but no i couldn't).
I am often asked if i celebrate it, if i have turkey for dinner, etc. No i never ever bother with a turkey - tho ham, stuffing and brussel sprouts are on today's menu.

There is always a sense that the powers-that-be push this holiday as it reinforces conservative (small c) feelings.
And you see the sentiment that even those that are truly struggling should be grateful that they live in the US, and not anywhere else. And now Trump has even come up with a new 'war on Thanksgiving' myth for his faithful.
But really, the folks here seem to enjoy it for their own reasons - and you get the family dinner out of the way early to enjoy the rest of the long weekend.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:28 pm

I saw the thumbnail and thought very hard before playing.

Weakened.
Cunt.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:32 pm

moscowhite wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BqghR8sjKJV/

OK. I take back everything I said above. Thanksgiving is a scourage.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:03 pm

I trust and respect the views of my fellow 'ballers and will not be playing.
Thankyou all.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:41 pm

How many times has this happened for firefighters to feel the need to do a demonstration?

Nation full of muppets.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Terre Harte II wrote:Well, this took a turn, but I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

For the record, Thanksgiving started as an English tradition in the Reformation. The Pilgrims brought the tradition with them over here. Guy Fawkes Day has its roots in the original Thanksgiving tradition. So the notion of giving thanks, which I see nothing wrong with, comes from you. Thanks?

And being lectured about subjugating other cultures is a extremely rich. Almost all of the subjugators in the first 150 years were first or second generation British, especially regarding the New England and East Coast tribes. The UK had direct control over Canada in the same period of our westward expansion and enacted similarly genocidal policies in theirs.

And I think it’s fairly well-documented the British Empire wasn’t exactly enlightened when it came to dealing with the native peoples it encountered in the three continents it held sway over parts of.

For every shitheel like Andrew Jackson or terrible act of slaughter like Wounded Knee in our past, there’s (at least) a Cecil Rhodes or Armritsar in yours.

So let’s not pull a muscle trying to claim the moral high ground. Neither of our countries has any claim to it in terms of how we treated native peoples in our territories.

TBF that was always going to be the response and knowing the ballers a lot of it is just Tomfuckerry.
I think you lot have some way to go in the hand wringing, sorry my ancestors fucked yours over in the past but let me spend my remaining days trying to atone stakes. We are getting really good at that.
Do you do friendsgiving or is that a young thing? Not that I know how old you are.
My son had 28 round his last week for a friendsgiving dinner.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Return to “The Square Ball”