La Liga To Stage A Match In The USA?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

La Liga To Stage A Match In The USA?

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 am

Phil LUFC

Re: La Liga To Stage A Match In The USA?

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 am

Yeah, saw that the other day. I'm not a fan. I don't care what happens in the NFL or how well that might work, I imagine I'd be against it there if I really cared about the sport.

This sort of shit is what pre-season tournaments are for isn't it?

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 am

They're just trying to compete with the PL, both them and Serie A realise they've fallen a long way behind in the global market, same reason they have facebook streaming their games in India, will probably work as well unless the PL ups their game. The smart teams are the Bundesliga who don't seem to give a fuck as long as they pack their grounds and can compete in Europe - probably because fans have a lot more control over how clubs are run in Germany.

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 pm

jackos wrote:They're just trying to compete with the PL, both them and Serie A realise they've fallen a long way behind in the global market, same reason they have facebook streaming their games in India, will probably work as well unless the PL ups their game.

I can't see it being much of a success. The only games the US watching public would be bothered about watching would be between Real, Atletico and Barca. They've already ruled out having an El Clasico over there too. If they plan on having a full round of games, will the US really turn up to watch Eibar vs Huesca? Might get a decent crowd if its just the one game, but then how much an impact is one game per season going to have for La Liga?

Even the 'popular' International Cup's attendance was down by large amounts this pre-season.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Hispanics constituted 17.8 percent of the US population 2017, that's nearly 60 million people, I'm certain a lot of them couldn't care less about football, and others probably don't give a fuck about Spanish football, but equally there must be a market among that group for La Liga, especially given the number of central and Latin American players in Spain. Equally the population of India is over 1.5 billion, a cricketing nation and very few of them watch anything but the PL according to a program on the world service I heard a few weeks ago, but the experts were sure that the availability of La Liga on fb would dramatically increase it's popularity since that's primary source of entertainment for a lot of a lot of folks in India.

Suppose they have to try meet the PL dominance in some way.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Plenty of interest in the US, especially after getting WC2026
However football will never be the main sport in the USA as in Europe, at the grass roots level there is a lack of opportunities presented through Scholarships at High School & University compared to the NFL NBA, the money in NBL & Golf
kids just dont have the interest.

50K plus showed up to watch Shiek Citi kids v Bindippers, total BS there there was a lack of interest in the friendly games this season.
Even the Spuds had a successful US tour, why because the Club Owner Joe Lewis, insisted - He knows the power of the US market from his golf interests with his company Tavistock. Harry Kane, & the spuds turned up the Albany Golf Club Bahamas, chilling out after the World Cup, away from the UK media, transfer hype etc- Albany is owed by Joe Lewis, Tiger Woods & Ernie Els.

Ok the US wont host the El Classico but anyone thinking the big clubs will turn down a the marketing opportunity is simply unrealistic, plus there will be pressure from the sponsors. The game, especially the large clubs are so dependant on the large funding no one can ignore the US market, especially as TV is potentially huge.

Who knows Lufc preseason may take in SF on the West Coast next summer! Whilst the puritans may prefer the trips to Forest Greene dat aint putting the green backs in the transfer kitty!

ps Have a thought for the overseas fans who also get a rare opportunity to see the teams- there is no one more Die hard the Leeds United Supporters North America LUSNA or Dubai Whites, all over the globe fans cram in to bars at stupid hours of the night to follow their team.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:46 am

Players threatening to go on strike if this goes ahead.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:23 am

This is one of those things I know we're supposed to give a shit about as football fans but I really don't. It makes little odds to me where most matches are played, let alone one or two here and there.

I'd go to a Leeds match over there, it would presumably be a great laugh.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:02 am

Tommy wrote:This is one of those things I know we're supposed to give a shit about as football fans but I really don't. It makes little odds to me where most matches are played, let alone one or two here and there.

I'd go to a Leeds match over there, it would presumably be a great laugh.

Really? You wouldn't mind if The Premier League [hopefully soon including Leeds] played a round of fixtures in a country thousands of miles away? Where 99% of the usual fans would be denied access to the match for reasons of geography/expense? Because that's the reason I stuck this thread up here - for what it might mean to the rest of us in the fullness of time. I really don't want 'our' kind of football to become like the American thing, whereby visiting Wembley for American league games is an every season thing. Fuck that shit. What next? Inviting Chicago Brown Trousers to join the EPL too?

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:56 am

One or two league games out of approx 45 game season plus cup competitions is not a big deal.
Fans in the Europe have plenty of opportunity to see games.

Fans overseas also have right to get access to games, just as much as home fans. Their support, their TV subscriptions their purchases of merchandise are a massive contribution to the cash cow that is now Football.
When clubs take the sponsorships that give them the funds to buy the players & pay the salries that satisfy the fans demands for success there should be a pay back.
Grow with with times, the market the game or get left behind.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Barca & PSG are expected to play the odd in game in Qatar but there are no complaints when they shell out 150-200M for the best players, & lift the trophies.
There are all it in the EPL Scum, Shiekh Citi, Bin Dippers, Spuds were all in the USA chasing greenback investment
Clubs are also going in to Asia, forfieting the summer break yet complian about in winter break.
Spanish players going on strike, absolute horseshite, see how long the greedy b@sterds last, see how honourable they are without their mega wages, signing bonus's & endorsements. Absolute joke.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:01 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Really? You wouldn't mind if The Premier League [hopefully soon including Leeds] played a round of fixtures in a country thousands of miles away?

One match though? I can't see the big deal.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Some overseas games pulling 50K+ crowds for friendlies with kids getting a rare opportunity to play.
Sorry but thats far better experience & business than an away day in Forest Greene or Guiseley and look at the standard if opposition.

The NFL in London has been a fantastic success, again a rare change for tens of thousands of UK or European fans to get the real experience, not a meaningless exhibition, its a full competitive game in a sport that only has 16 fkn games in a season, 8 homes games! The NFL players and fans don't piss or moan they travel anyway all season, they embrace it!

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:11 pm

sunshine whites wrote:Some overseas games pulling 50K+ crowds for friendlies with kids getting a rare opportunity to play.
Sorry but thats far better experience & business than an away day in Forest Greene or Guiseley and look at the standard if opposition.

Fans losing interest in these friendlies though: http://thecomeback.com/soccer/has-the-i ... ourse.html

Comparing it to the NFL is a bit ambiguous. As you say, there are a limited number of teams in the competition so it is more likely to have an elite game when played overseas.

You might get decent attendances for the Barca, Real, Atletico games, but you won't for the others (and I'd be willing to bet those three team's attendances would fall year on year). So, you'll have teams playing in half full stadiums, knackered after a long season and flying half way across the world - doesn't sound appealing to me.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm

The beauty of a league structure is it's simplificity. So it's a no from me.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Mr Reality wrote:The beauty of a league structure is it's simplificity. So it's a no from me.

Exactly, every fucker plays every fucker home and away. We don't need the Super League style magic weekend bollocks either.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:49 pm

The NFL has bye weeks and massive amounts of air travel already so coming to London to play is not so far from the 'norm'. Dolphins v Seahawks for example is a 3,500 mile trip - like Madrid to Moscow say.
There are 32 teams in the competition which is still more than any Football top division - they just play 16 games per season so it might appear there are fewer. With so few games in the regular season every game matters so much more than in a 38 game season, that's why the games over here will always be hard fought and not like glorified friendlies

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:Comparing it to the NFL is a bit ambiguous. As you say, there are a limited number of teams in the competition so it is more likely to have an elite game when played overseas.

Ironically the biggest grumble about the U.K. NFL games is that they usually end up sending duds over (a bi-product of the cyclical nature of the sport, in that what looks like a cracker when it’s arranged in 2017 turns into a stinker when it’s actually played in 2018). Still sell out every game within minutes.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:22 pm

An English league needs to play its games in England, so English fans can travel to it and it feels like its theirs. Everyone else can watch on TV. The idea is you play home and away, not in New York against Arsenal or LA versus Man Utd.
I have zero interest in American football. Couldn't care less what the fuckers do. I don't want our football structure copying them.
If the Spanish thing is a gateway to any of that, I don't want it.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:32 pm

dirty leeds wrote:An English league needs to play its games in England, so English fans can travel to it and it feels like its theirs. Everyone else can watch on TV. The idea is you play home and away, not in New York against Arsenal or LA versus Man Utd.
I have zero interest in American football. Couldn't care less what the fuckers do. I don't want our football structure copying them.
If the Spanish thing is a gateway to any of that, I don't want it.

Yeah, I agree. I love NFL and have taken in a few of the Wembley games over the years but I don’t mind being a hypocrite.

Seems unnecessary anyway. The NFL needs to do shit like that to expand the sport outside it’s obvious geographical frontiers whereas the EPL is already huge everywhere. Small sample size I know but I listen to a few NFL podcasts and I’ve noticed that ‘Premeeeeer League’ is almost a bi-word for football in those circles - eg ‘I like watching Baseball, Basketball and Premier League’
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Return to “The Square Ball”