Is that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football good enough for Leeds United

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Is that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football good enough for Leeds United

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 am

Devi wrote:Top facting from the Beeb: "George Weah is the only serving world leader to have scored in three competitive fixtures against Gillingham".

That’s outstanding. Need to know more details though now. IIRC he was never much more than a bit part player in England?

ChairmanMeaow

Postby ChairmanMeaow » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:02 pm

FA Cup for Chelsea and the both legs of a League Cup tie for City. think he went to Chelsea on loan when Vialli was there but they didn't take him on at the end.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Luke reckons we won't fold against Millwall: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9344699

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Luke reckons we won't fold against Millwall: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9344699

so that's ayling, klich and jansson who have all admitted to being forced to lose half a stone. i presume the rest of the squad have had to as well and they've become better footballers for it. i'm thinking i need to lose half a stone, see if it helps me.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:35 pm

If only there was an inadvisably long walk you could go on, that sort of thing.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:51 pm

That Long Balls stat particularly cheering.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Son of Leeds

Postby Son of Leeds » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 am

Those stats can't be right. They're wrong because pundits on Sky say, It's not how much possession you have, it's what you do with it.
Leeds United is ruining my life.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 am

Seems that what we're doing with it is winning four, drawing three and being top of the league by a point, after seven games. Best goal difference, too. Decent enough whether you're a Sky pundit or no.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:29 am

Son of Leeds wrote:Those stats can't be right. They're wrong because pundits on Sky say, It's not how much possession you have, it's what you do with it.

There's a lot to be said about that , BUT , if you have the ball the opposition can't do anything with it either . Well , unless O'Kane has the ball which he won't for Leeds any more - actually he won't have for anyone for a fair old while now ( broken leg for Luton) .

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Quiffy wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Luke reckons we won't fold against Millwall: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9344699

so that's ayling, klich and jansson who have all admitted to being forced to lose half a stone. i presume the rest of the squad have had to as well and they've become better footballers for it. i'm thinking i need to lose half a stone, see if it helps me.

Another example of the lack of discipline last season.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Quiffy wrote:

We've now got a workaholic in charge, he's leading by example. I expect the players now have someone they can respect.....at last.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Quiffy wrote:so that's ayling, klich and jansson who have all admitted to being forced to lose half a stone. i presume the rest of the squad have had to as well and they've become better footballers for it. i'm thinking i need to lose half a stone, see if it helps me.

Can't comment on Quiffy's lack of discipline although have noted your comments although it's not down to me to monitor his weight.

welshwhite wrote:
We've now got a workaholic in charge, he's leading by example. I expect the players now have someone they can respect.....at last.

I like the fact that he is kinda detached and imagine he delegates a lot.

He's like the big cheese just like the Don but without the soapy massages I would imagine. Times have changed but the foreigners are leading the way now anyhow :salute:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

JohnGiles

Postby JohnGiles » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Ontolly wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:
Quiffy wrote:so that's ayling, klich and jansson who have all admitted to being forced to lose half a stone. i presume the rest of the squad have had to as well and they've become better footballers for it. i'm thinking i need to lose half a stone, see if it helps me.

Can't comment on Quiffy's lack of discipline although have noted your comments although it's not down to me to monitor his weight.

welshwhite wrote:

I like the fact that he is kinda detached and imagine he delegates a lot.

He's like the big cheese just like the Don but without the soapy massages I would imagine. Times have changed but the foreigners are leading the way now anyhow :salute:

Infirm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:06 pm

I've been thinking of starting a thread for news stories that are blank statements of the obvious. Or like this, for instance.

"We have at our disposal more data than what we can work on," Bielsa revealed.
I identify with this man so much...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I've been thinking of starting a thread for news stories that are blank statements of the obvious. Or like this, for instance.

"We have at our disposal more data than what we can work on," Bielsa revealed.
I identify with this man so much...

Ouch!
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:42 pm

watching a bit of fulham watford reminded me that last season fulham were doing a very similar thing to bielsa at the back. their centre backs last year were tim ream and dennis odoi. ream's a typical (and very decent) centre back but odoi has the build of a full back, pretty small and keen to take the ball out of defence, he was the one who'd take risks with the ball. when they had the ball in their own half you'd see the centre backs split wide and big kevin mcdonald sit in as a central defender, just like kalvin does for us, so that it gave the appearance that their defence was a big set of bastards. when they attacked you'd see macdonald push on a bit and get the ball to cairney and the other more creative players.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Fellah calling himself Samuel Becchio over on Waccoe does regular reports on the press conferences. Today's was a good one, so here [thanks to Sam], it is:

Bielsa's press conference starting. On whether Birmingham was a good learning curve: "It's not a responsibility of the players. A decision I took was a wrong decision. The reality of the game indicates that I didn't take the right one.

"We had two options - building the line of three with Ayling or Phillips. I decided to do it with Phillips, making him moving forward and backwards, and with this I thought I could keep all the good things that happened against Preston. I wanted to keep these positive features.

"This was a mistake I made. I thought it would work and it didn't happen. That's why the players are not responsible. I will try not to make any more mistakes."

Bielsa on whether he learned more from defeat than from a victory: "We had a problem. We conceded two goals and we couldn't change the situation. What we did was not enough. In spite of this, I don't think we deserved to lose. I even think we deserved to win."

We didn't play well but it was difficult to play well. These are my conclusions.

Bielsa on the derby against Wednesday: "Whenever you lose, you always want to win (you're next game). If it's a derby, the will power to win increases."

Bielsa on preventing poor results from setting in, as they did this time last season: "It's very difficult to make comparisons because I was not here last year. I know what happened, I know what you're trying to underline, but I don't think it's a good idea to compare."

Bielsa on Forshaw, and whether he's ready for a more prominent role: "Adam is a player who's ready to play. Before getting injured he was the best player in the team but that was because he had six pre-season games to get fit. He has not played for a month-and-half."

Injury latest: Bamford and Brown won't be ready "for a long time". Roofe is close - "not immediately but close". Berardi and Hernandez also close, but not as close as Roofe. Shauughnessy will be a bit longer. So none available for Friday's game.

Bielsa straight up on his team for Hillsborough: "I won't change any player

Bielsa: "After the game we lost, we asked some questions together. We built our conclusions. We've had two training sessions where each player can express himself and the conclusions are positive ones. I have a lot of hope for the game on Friday." #lufc

Bielsa on how Wednesday will approach Friday's game: "I couldn't tell. What I can say it they're a team who have many possibilities from a tactical point of view." #lufc

Bielsa talked at length about combating the tactics Birmingham used (deep and men behind the ball). Without criticising them, he said he tries to play in the "sprirt of the game" and is always looking for the "beauty" of it.

Bielsa on replacing Phillips early for the second time: "I would not want to hurt a player as noble as Phillips. We could say 'poor Phillips'. But people who know football say Bielsa made a mistake." #lufc

Bielsa said it was clear that Peacock-Farrell made a mistake for the first goal on Saturday. Said he'd played better in previous games than he did against Birmingham. #lufc

Bielsa on derbies in England: "What I saw in Argentina, the emotions I got there, I can't have the same emotions

More from Bielsa on Forshaw, and Klich: "Forshaw can play as Klich and Klich can play as Forshaw. Klich is a complete player. He can play at each level of the pitch. He defends, he attacks, he can play on the sides. Forshaw is the same kind of player. Very dynamic and flexible."

They are not players who can make the difference themselves. They make the difference by associating with their team-mates. They cannot do what Saiz does. The only player who can is Saiz himself.

he's said previously that he has no exact replacement for Phillips.

Bielsa on whether he tries to protect his players from blame: "I don't deserve this question. When the coach says he is responsible but doesn't give arguments, what he is really doing is blaming the players. I reject this practice. I explained why I was responsib

Bielsa: "I never say something if I cannot put arguments behind it. Otherwise people will suspect me. When I say something, I feel that I'm saying what I think. I don't say what is a good thing to say."

Bielsa: "You cannot be a leader if you don't assume publicly responsibility, or if you say the others are responsible.

Alioski

Alioski on how the players will react to their defeat: "It's my second year now. We see a difference in the way we play. The confidence is here and all the players believe.

Alioski on Bielsa blaming himself for the Birmingham loss, "Nobody thought the coach would say this. It's good for the players but we know also that we weren't so good. He trusts us and he thinks it's his fault. Maybe it's not like this."

Alioski on Bielsa: "Each player is happy he's here. We can learn many things. I am fitter and not only me. I lost kilos and fat, which I didn't have so much of. At first you think it's not so important but then you see how far we run, how fit we are

Alioski: "There are some better decisions that I can do. It's not the first time that I play left. It's not my side but it's not a big difference. I like it but it doesn't change anything for me

Alioski on his form: "I'm happy. I always give 100 per cent. I help my team and I work hard. I can always be better, I learn every day something new. It's only the beginning and now we start harder games and we must show character." #

Alioski: "It's better not to lose when you have Marcelo as a coach. He hates this. But he believes in us.

Alioski says he doesn't think Leeds will go on losing streaks under Bielsa, like they did last season. "I'm 100 per cent sure. We have a mentality where we think we are really strong

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Hey Tommy, read my mind fella :mrgreen:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Bielsa: "You cannot be a leader if you don't assume publicly responsibility, or if you say the others are responsible.

Football calling Jose. Come in. Over.

Return to “The Square Ball”