2018 World Cup Prediction Game. Last Updated After: Final

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

2018 World Cup Prediction Game. Last Updated After: Final

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Latest Table
After: France v Croatia

ChangePositionPlayerPointsDefenceMidfieldAttackGoals Prediction
01sunshine whites50Sweden (-4)England (16)Belgium (38)159
02metalsmurf44Iceland (-10)England (16)Belgium (38)159
+13MightyWhite42Russia (-10)Uruguay (16)France (36)163
-14dublin white 6941Germany (-8)Sweden (13)Croatia (36)146
05Phil LUFC40Japan (-12)Uruguay (16)France (36)158
06ChairmanMeaow27Belgium (-6)Tunisia (3)England (30)199
07jackos25Senegal (-8)Germany (3)England (30)168
08Ballgirl24Egypt (-12)England (16)Brazil (20)149
09Andymac-4723Germany (-8)Costa Rica (1)England (30)0
010Kummel22Uruguay (-2)Senegal (4)Brazil (20)159
011AmarinderBedi22Iceland (-10)Uruguay (16)Spain (16)155
012Proud to be Leeds21Uruguay (-2)Nigeria (3)Brazil (20)157
013topbin20Egypt (-12)Uruguay (16)Spain (16)168
014the flying pig19Russia (-10)Colombia (9)Brazil (20)150
015OWETB18Sweden (-4)Mexico (8)Argentina (14)177
016Eddies Boots18Uruguay (-2)Egypt (0)Brazil (20)0
017AndyPaul16Sweden (-4)Uruguay (16)Germany (4)152
018barry white14England (-10)Senegal (4)Brazil (20)144
019mi.mic.mick.mick jones14Germany (-8)England (16)South Korea (6)106
020Wing Wizard12Iceland (-10)Denmark (8)Argentina (14)160
021Colonel White12Serbia (-8)Uruguay (16)Germany (4)159
022portadown white10England (-10)Japan (6)Argentina (14)147
023Devi10Russia (-10)England (16)Germany (4)145
024Ponte6England (-10)Russia (12)Germany (4)165
025Vampire-3Russia (-10)Peru (3)Germany (4)152
026welshwhite-3Switzerland (-8)Iceland (1)Germany (4)145
027SimonB-5England (-10)Costa Rica (1)Germany (4)166

League of Nations

ChangePositionNationPointsDefenceMidfieldAttackProgression Bonus
01Belgium44-1218326
12France43-1219288
-13Croatia32-1814288
04Brazil24-610164
05England24-1610246
06Uruguay24-612144
07Russia20-148224
08Sweden17-89124
09Colombia15-67122
010Denmark10-4662
011Spain10-126142
012Portugal7-125122
013Switzerland7-105102
014Iran4-4440
015Japan4-144122
016Senegal4-8480
017Peru3-4340
018South Korea3-6360
019Mexico2-12662
020Nigeria1-8360
021Argentina0-184122
022Germany-1-8340
023Serbia-1-8340
024Morocco-3-8140
025Poland-3-10340
026Tunisia-3-163100
027Australia-5-10140
028Costa Rica-5-10140
029Iceland-5-10140
030Saudi Arabia-7-14340
031Egypt-8-12040
032Panama-18-22040


Rules

Pick 3 teams:
One for your Defence who will score -2 for every goal conceded.
One for your Midfield who will score +1 for a draw and +3 for a win. Knock out games going to penalties will be deemed a draw.
One for your Attack who will score +2 for every goal scored.

New rules:
1. You will score an additional +2 for every game each of your nations play beyond the group stages with the exception of the 3rd place play off (and -2 per game missed in the highly unlikely event a team be booted out in the group stages, along with forfeiting games 3-0*, only really relevant if they're your defence).
2. You must have no more than 1 team from the top 8 seeds (as per the FIFA Ranking at the time of the official draw, not current rankings) and must have at least 1 from the 16 lowest seeds by the same measure. (You are welcome to avoid the top 8 altogether or have all 3 from the bottom 16 if you wish).

You can decide individually whether you'd rather PM me your picks or just post them in the thread, as in previous years I'll publish score updates at the end of each round of games and only reveal chosen nations when they've been eliminated, unless you make them public from the off.

Finally, the tie breaker will be total number of goals for the tournament so please predict that too.

Top 8 seeds (Alphabetically):
Argentina
Belgium
Brazil
France
Germany
Poland
Portugal
Spain

Next 8:
Colombia
Croatia
Denmark
England
Mexico
Peru
Switzerland
Uruguay

Remaining 16:
Australia
Costa Rica
Egypt
Iceland
Iran
Japan
Morocco
Nigeria
Panama
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
South Korea
Sweden
Tunisia

*I assume that's how it works but even if not, if its good enough for UEFA its good enough for this game.

User avatar
OWETB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 am
Location: Eating pig with the Prophet Mohammed

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby OWETB » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:50 pm

You've missed out Scotland and Wales mate.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby welshwhite » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 pm

OWETB wrote:You've missed out Scotland and Wales mate.


:D Cunt!. We're burnt out after getting to the semi's of the Euros :thumbl:

Iceland :lol:

Nice fishing, by the way :salute:

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby AndyPaul » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:35 pm

Like the new rules. Makes it a bit more interesting and less likely people pick the same 3 teams. I’ll PM my choices.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:02 pm

yeah, this requires some real thought, won't just be 20-odd permutations of france/germany/brazil. i'll post my picks publicly within the next week or so.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:08 pm

the flying pig wrote:yeah, this requires some real thought, won't just be 20-odd permutations of france/germany/brazil. i'll post my picks publicly within the next week or so.

Please to see that's going down well then. I was going to go with official draw pots but that's put Spain in pot 2 so every cunt would have them somewhere. Pulling Russia out of it via FIFA rankings fixed that nicely, I don't think there's a single obvious standout pick in any of the 3 groups above.

Anyway, I've made my choices and sent them to Ponte (he was first to send me his choices). So far, from those 2 entries, 6 different nations are in play.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:... I don't think there's a single obvious standout pick in any of the 3 groups above...


I'll definitely think about picking Russia in one category, they're rubbish but have a tidy draw and are presumably well placed to benefit from a few favourable refereeing decisions... though the defence/midfield/attack system might, I suppose, not favour them...

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:... I don't think there's a single obvious standout pick in any of the 3 groups above...


I'll definitely think about picking Russia in one category, they're rubbish but have a tidy draw and are presumably well placed to benefit from a few favourable refereeing decisions... though the defence/midfield/attack system might, I suppose, not favour them...

Personally, I think home advantage and favourable draw (being in pot 1 as much as anything) is almost entirely wiped out by them being the lowest ranked team in the tournament (at the time the draw was made, haven't checked current).

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:32 pm

If anyone's interested in a sweepstake I'd be happy to arrange again. Maybe give a (cancer?) charity a share of the proceeds, I didn't like to say e.g. a year ago given what was going on then but I was never certain that, after taking our brass, Gary remembered to give us our sponsorship of a leeds ladies player (though I'm sure he did :tongue:) ???

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:43 pm

the flying pig wrote:If anyone's interested in a sweepstake I'd be happy to arrange again. Maybe give a (cancer?) charity a share of the proceeds, I didn't like to say e.g. a year ago given what was going on then but I was never certain that, after taking our brass, Gary remembered to give us our sponsorship of a leeds ladies player (though I'm sure he did :tongue:) ???

Yeah, I'm up for that.

And yeah, wrong thread but: The player sponsorship thing got me free entry for a couple of years (before I sponsored a player outright) if nothing else :thumbl: . There was a banner made which got hung up at every game listing names of sponsors and whatnot (TSB was on it), by Gary's last season as chairman there were fairly regular facebook posts for individual players/sponsors and that seems to still happen now from the Juniors account (the first team have been merged into the main LUFC accounts and therefore are now crap). The accusations over that money appear to be part of the mud slinging rather than actually based on fact. Aside from that, it was purely about getting money into the club coffers, some players were sponsored 3x over.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:... I don't think there's a single obvious standout pick in any of the 3 groups above...


I'll definitely think about picking Russia in one category, they're rubbish but have a tidy draw and are presumably well placed to benefit from a few favourable refereeing decisions... though the defence/midfield/attack system might, I suppose, not favour them...

Personally, I think home advantage and favourable draw (being in pot 1 as much as anything) is almost entirely wiped out by them being the lowest ranked team in the tournament (at the time the draw was made, haven't checked current).


Yeah, I don't know, they are, to the best of my knowledge, an awful team, but I wouldn't put it past fifa refs to make sure they at least don't concede against Saudi & Egypt (though I suppose this may be difficult to sustain if Salah is on form), and then, who knows, with presumably six points in the bag already, Uruguay may well rest players & therefore probably not 'run riot'.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Isn’t Salah out?

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:20 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Isn’t Salah out?

Should be fit in "no more than 3 weeks" apparently which means he should be ready just in time to face Russia.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Isn’t Salah out?

Should be fit in "no more than 3 weeks" apparently which means he should be ready just in time to face Russia.


yeah, dislocated shoulder sounds serious to me but i suppose maybe when you're as good as he is, no team [especially an international team going into a world cup]'s going to feel able to give you any longer than the bare minimum amount of time to recover. It'll probably end up causing him pain & whatnot for the rest of his life but, hey, he's worth it.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:44 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Isn’t Salah out?

Should be fit in "no more than 3 weeks" apparently which means he should be ready just in time to face Russia.


yeah, dislocated shoulder sounds serious to me but i suppose maybe when you're as good as he is, no team [especially an international team going into a world cup]'s going to feel able to give you any longer than the bare minimum amount of time to recover. It'll probably end up causing him pain & whatnot for the rest of his life but, hey, he's worth it.

Can't be all that serious, Sam Sodje popped his back in and carried on playing :thumbl: .

More seriously, the NHS say:
"You can stop wearing the sling after a few days, but it takes about 12 to 16 weeks to completely recover from a dislocated shoulder. You'll usually be able to resume most activities within two weeks, but should avoid heavy lifting and sports involving shoulder movements for between six weeks and three months."

Given he's had the season of his life and they might not qualify again during his career, he'd probably consider it worth the pain/risk of a repeat injury. If he's properly back for the Saudi game they might even get past the group. Big if obviously but if that happens he'll look back on it as a career/life highlight.

If he hadn't had this injury if have considered them amongst my 3 teams.

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby AndyPaul » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:04 am

My predictions are in!

User avatar
portadown white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby portadown white » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Cheers Phil. I'm not shy so happy to post:

Defence - England
Midfield - Japan
Attack - Argentina

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:15 am

And your tie breaker?

User avatar
topbin
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby topbin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:09 am

Alright, mine's in Phil. Thanks for organising! New rules made it a much trickier decision.

User avatar
SimonB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 am
Location: Peterborough
Contact:

Re: 2018 World Cup Prediction Game

Postby SimonB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:39 am

Mines in too mate
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests