Butch Wilkins in a coma, I wonder if he'll pull through

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Oheddieeddie

Butch Wilkins in a coma, I wonder if he'll pull through

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:06 am

Genuinely sad about this, such a classy player, and I know he was endlessly and awkwardly polite whilst doing any media work but it was oddly endearing.

His entire career almost exactly corresponded with my schooldays, and I find that slightly disturbing.

Come on son.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43601801

Quiffy

Re: Butch Wilkins in a coma, I wonder if he'll pull through

Postby Quiffy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:36 am

indeed. Ex scum and chelsea but rose above it.

61?, healthy. Its not right.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:07 am

I'm too young to remember him as a player (well, tail end of his career at QPR but no reason for him to stand out in my mind) but always liked him as a pundit.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:57 am

Wilkins in a coma, I know
I know, it’s serious

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:27 am

Phil LUFC wrote:I'm too young to remember him as a player (well, tail end of his career at QPR but no reason for him to stand out in my mind) but always liked him as a pundit.

Started off his career as a tough player typical of the era, but matured into a much more silky player who always looked after the ball.

Believe me AC Milan didn't import british players back then unless they had a bit of class.

I understand that the induced coma came as a result of the bang his head took when he fell whilst having the heart attack.

He's 61 but probably has more miles on the clock as a result of alcohol problems as he struggled like many to adapt to life without football. Hence him playing till 40 when nobody did back then.

The other problem was the prescription drugs. In order to cope with the pressure of being Chelsea captain at 18 he went to the doctor. He was prescribed Valium and took it for years. Anyone who's encountered people on that shit will know how it fucks you up.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Really sad about this one.

My memory of him was getting sent off in the World Cup the game after Bryan Robson got crocked. The look on his face said it all

A real gentleman

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 pm

yeah, i had a lot of time for his punditry, always seemed very considered & sensible, with an eddie gray style modesty & set of manners that were very much of the old school. i don't massively remember him his best playing days since he was outside england [italy/france/scotland] until well into his 30s ,i suspect his qpr days weren't a career higlight.

Rob

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Sad news; recall a tale of Wilkins returning from an England game while playing in Milan. He was travelling alone from the rest of the squad as he was based then in Italy and encountered a very large group of England fans at the airport. As a show of appreciation for their support he bought every England fan a pint.

Phatphil65

Postby Phatphil65 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Very sad, a true gentleman.

When I was a nipper one of my mates, a Chelsea fan, had leukemia. Butch made a special journey to come and see him and we had a kick about in the road. I live in the New Forest, so it was obviously out of his way, but he stayed for over an hour. My mate unfortunately died at 15 years old, but was buried in his signed Chelsea shirt along with a photo he had taken with Butch.

Can't see many top professional footballers doing that sort of thing these days.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:56 pm

This is beautiful. The Kit, the gesture, the men. Love it

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:14 pm

I liked Ray Wilkins as a footballer, an OK pundit, seemed a decent bloke and all that... but, re that banner at Chelsea today, 'Brave Butch Wilkins', what precisely was 'brave' about him, then? Fucking unimaginative Chelsea scum.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:09 pm

dirty leeds wrote:I liked Ray Wilkins as a footballer, an OK pundit, seemed a decent bloke and all that... but, re that banner at Chelsea today, 'Brave Butch Wilkins', what precisely was 'brave' about him, then? Fucking unimaginative Chelsea scum.

It is my understanding that the term "brave butch" has idiosyncratic connotations in the gay underworld but I'm loathe to google it for research purposes :mrgreen:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Return to “The Square Ball”