Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Andymac-47 wrote:https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1193123567069564929?s=2

Good news but feels a year too long to me.

I was thinking the same!
Andymac

User avatar
kennyb41
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:10 am

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Hopefully it's structured so as to sell him asap to Burnley.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Devi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:In four of the last five Championship seasons the team with the best defensive record has finished in the top two.

EDIT: make that eight of the last 10 seasons.


In all of the last seasons bar one, the team top at Christmas had been promoted.

Ho hum.
I like it. What is it?

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby LSD&2Es » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Devi wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:In four of the last five Championship seasons the team with the best defensive record has finished in the top two.

EDIT: make that eight of the last 10 seasons.


In all of the last seasons bar one, the team top at Christmas had been promoted.

Ho hum.



:D


:pale:
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Professor Weeto
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Professor Weeto » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Devi wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:In four of the last five Championship seasons the team with the best defensive record has finished in the top two.

EDIT: make that eight of the last 10 seasons.


In all of the last seasons bar one, the team top at Christmas had been promoted.

Ho hum.


Shhhh....

User avatar
Bobbycollins
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Another great performance from Klich today.

I'm guessing the contract length might be partly related to Financial Fair Play, i.e. amortising the player's value over a longer period.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:Another great performance from Klich today.

I'm guessing the contract length might be partly related to Financial Fair Play, i.e. amortising the player's value over a longer period.

Wasn't he heading into the last 6 months of his original deal? In which case there wouldn't be a lot left to re-amortise? What did he cost, about £1.5m? Initial 3 year contract, there's be at most 500k in the 19/20 accounts so would "save" us about 400k by spreading over an extra 4 years, assuming we can back date to the start of the account period.

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Yeboah » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 pm

One would hope we've put in a release clause that means we can sell him cheap in the likely event of non promotion

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby the flying pig » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:09 pm

A deal of that length makes no sense to me given his age & relatively modest ability level. Still, I'm sure someone knows what they're doing.

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:53 am

Probably feels like a year too long. But have less of an issue with it as he is a player who has performed on a regular basis before receiving a reward.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 am

Mr Reality wrote:Probably feels like a year too long. But have less of an issue with it as he is a player who has performed on a regular basis before receiving a reward.

Indeed. If we go up it should prove inexpensive in the grand scheme of things (if he doesn't make the grade)* and at this level he's an asset and has proved it in 62 consecutive championship starts.

*Unless there's a hefty salary increase clause.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Devi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 am

If we go up, I’d argue any wage increase (conditional on that promotion) becomes massively more affordable, no? Obviously there’d be limits as to what’s reasonable but (for eg) doubling a players wage from say £10kpw to £20k, even perhaps tripling, and still the player would be cheap by PL standards. (That’s more a comment on the ludicrous PL/EFL disparity tbf. Still. At least we don’t have VAR this season.)
I like it. What is it?

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 am

I was thinking more of the size which means he'd be too expensive to sell to a championship club if he's not good enough, eg approaching the 50k a week Harrison is reportedly on.

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:22 am

Approaching 50k seems a bit excessive for Harrison would have thought he's closer 25-30 but given their wage bill it wouldn't be a suprise.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Clacton white » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Its funny how so called experts on TV have different opinions on players etc . Last week on EFL Quest , can't remember who it was but the "expert " was I think a former Prem striker , he said the club would have to go out and buy a striker in the transfer window due to Bamford wastefulness , whereas this week Tony Pulis was going on about what a superb player Bamford is and the things he does ...saying sooner or later Bamford will go on a scoring streak . Personally I think I'd go with the ex striker , especially given Pulis recent record in management and the dire football he is renown for ( I have WBA friends due to where I was bought up and someone I knew supported Stoke and said don't expect entertainment from Pulis ) .
It does seem to me that the club decided they were going to spend £7m on a striker regardless of ability , just hope Pulis is right and Bamford does find this scoring streak .

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Very good:

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Tommy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Doesn’t actually matter if Bamford starts scoring or not. If we win promotion I’m quite happy for him to never score again in his professional career. Literally couldn’t care less who scores for us if we win a match. Own goals and penalties for the rest of the season absolutely fine by me.

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Clacton white wrote:Its funny how so called experts on TV have different opinions on players etc . Last week on EFL Quest , can't remember who it was but the "expert " was I think a former Prem striker , he said the club would have to go out and buy a striker in the transfer window due to Bamford wastefulness , whereas this week Tony Pulis was going on about what a superb player Bamford is and the things he does ...saying sooner or later Bamford will go on a scoring streak . Personally I think I'd go with the ex striker , especially given Pulis recent record in management and the dire football he is renown for ( I have WBA friends due to where I was bought up and someone I knew supported Stoke and said don't expect entertainment from Pulis ) .
It does seem to me that the club decided they were going to spend £7m on a striker regardless of ability , just hope Pulis is right and Bamford does find this scoring streak .


Think it was Kevin Phillips
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby the flying pig » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Tommy wrote:Doesn’t actually matter if Bamford starts scoring or not. If we win promotion I’m quite happy for him to never score again in his professional career. Literally couldn’t care less who scores for us if we win a match. Own goals and penalties for the rest of the season absolutely fine by me.


he could be our Stéphane Guivarc'h/Ollie Giroud :thumbl:

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Shithouser Extrodinaire - Daniel Ayala roumoured to be a target

er, no thanks
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: metalsmurf and 13 guests