Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Tommy

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Tommy » Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 pm

welshwhite wrote:I'm sure I read at the time that It was Cellino that bought out GFH. He owned the club 100% when he sold it to Radz.

Cellino owned the club but the club still owed GFH a considerable amount of money in bullshit 'consultancy fees' accrued when they owned us. When Radrizzani came in, this was still £17m and according to Phil Hay he paid off 'half' of that last year (I saw this reported variously as £8-10m). Radrizzani considers this matter settled but I don't know what legal basis he has for that. I reckon GFH still believe they are owed however much remains after this initial payment (so anywhere between £7-9m). This outstanding debt had been restructured under Cellino and was likely a contributing factor as to why he needed to sell the club. Thus, even if we take your lowball estimation of £75m, it's still £83-85m without even taking into account the increased wage bill etc.

Still, it's an insane amount of money by virtually any standards. I remember being surprised when we bought Luke Murphy for £1m in 2013 and now £100m or thereabouts is considered to be a derisory investment. I know it's a cliche at this point but football is fucking ridiculous now.

welshwhite wrote:He's got 4 months to show us if he's a capable owner.

Why, what happens after that? Is he going somewhere? Are you?

I like the idea that if we got promoted in 2020 it would be completely unacceptable.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 pm

the clear out seems to be starting...
https://t.co/72O8P8D4t1
"i don't know what the future is made of but i won't forget my time here"

goodbye hadi. good luck, you'll need it.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Never was a player better named right now.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Never was a player better named right now.

Last season he was reasonably good at times, with the emphasis very much on 'at times'.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 am

It's never nice to see signings fail at the club but there's quite a few more to follow Sacko out of the door.

After buying the club for 75m Radz's transfer kitty will need topping up.

I'm looking forward to watching some of our young talented players next season. By the end of the five year plan our first team could be based mostly on home grown players. (If we can keep hold of them).

I can't see the likes of players like Sacko bringing much incoming transfer money.

Most will just be released for no fees.

The Wilko ratio is years out of date. Opta stats, players heat maps & so much new technology takes out a lot of the guesswork when buying players.

Get some info about a players attitude. That fullback from Scum on loan here, Lasogga, Grot & a few others still here have no desire to get involved at all.

There's nothing worse than watching "stroll in the park" type players wearing our shirt.
This is the most important close season we've had here since Blackwell was left with just Gary Kelly.

The owner promised us a playoff spot last season and a full tilt at automatic promotion this season.

There can be no excuses.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 am

welshwhite wrote:...The Wilko ratio is years out of date. Opta stats, players heat maps & so much new technology takes out a lot of the guesswork when buying players...

not sure i agree... wilko signed most of his players from the sheffield clubs. they were guys who were settled living just down the road & who'd played in most cases well over 100 games in the same division that wilko wanted them to play for leeds in. the only real uncertainties were how they'd blend with new team mates [most of whom they knew anyway] & whether the older players still physically had enough left in the tank.

it's been deemed that, with our current budget, we need to focus on guys who've only played a handful of pro games and/or guys whose experience is mostly at a lower level than even where we are currently, never mind where we aspire to. many will arrive with language & other settling in issues [including newborn offspring 1000km away etc]. wilko's law must surely apply in spades.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 15, 2018 11:37 am

the flying pig wrote:
welshwhite wrote:...The Wilko ratio is years out of date. Opta stats, players heat maps & so much new technology takes out a lot of the guesswork when buying players...

not sure i agree... wilko signed most of his players from the sheffield clubs. they were guys who were settled living just down the road & who'd played in most cases well over 100 games in the same division that wilko wanted them to play for leeds in. the only real uncertainties were how they'd blend with new team mates [most of whom they knew anyway] & whether the older players still physically had enough left in the tank.

it's been deemed that, with our current budget, we need to focus on guys who've only played a handful of pro games and/or guys whose experience is mostly at a lower level than even where we are currently, never mind where we aspire to. many will arrive with language & other settling in issues [including newborn offspring 1000km away etc]. wilko's law must surely apply in spades.

I'm a huge Wilko fan. Our success was built mostly on his organisation skills....not so much on players really.

Although he built up a wonderful team.

Old school manager.....a good egg.

Pressured into making big money buys, that was a huge mistake IMHO.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Great news!

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 am

Stockdale available, should be a no brainer, even for us

FER

Postby FER » Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 am

Rob Green available ... anyone ...
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 18, 2018 11:34 am

He's still better than anything we have

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Yeboah wrote:Stockdale available, should be a no brainer, even for us

Would he half his wage to come home? Assume Brum will have to pay him off to get rid, no-one his going to give him 40K a week are they?

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 pm

If we offload Felix and lonergan surely that should free up the money for stockdale.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Doubt them two together are on half Stockdale's 40K, if thats what hes on, which it might be given that he arrived on a free. Won't be cheap getting rid of them either ...

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Fri May 18, 2018 6:44 pm

jackos wrote:Doubt them two together are on half Stockdale's 40K, if thats what hes on, which it might be given that he arrived on a free. Won't be cheap getting rid of them either ...

Probably so. GK is a tricky one unless we can bring in a Stockdale or equivalent I don't want a mid level keeper blocking bpf.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Hopefully Weidwald will attract interest from DE, AT or CH, suppose it should be relatively easy to loan him out. Lonners can stick around as third keeper, decent enough to have on the bench if needed. Agree that we need someone with Stockdales experience, I don’t think he’s worth 40K a week, but it’d be great to have a Leeds lad in goal behind Jansson and a fit Bartley

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm

jackos wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Stockdale available, should be a no brainer, even for us

Would he half his wage to come home? Assume Brum will have to pay him off to get rid, no-one his going to give him 40K a week are they?

The beauty of him being on a free is that we can structure a deal to get him within wage structure.

He's easily a £3m keeper under normal circumstances, so instead of paying him a fee we can give him say a £750k signing bonus each year on a 2 year deal.which gives him £15k a week equivalent , then between £10 and £20k a week as salary. Great deal for both parties.

Get rid of BPF and FW, keep lonners as back up as hell be on peanuts and then have the u23 keeper as 3rd choice.

If we are looking at spending 4m for crock Bartley and 3m for the lad from Carpi, doing that deal for a genuine top level keeper is an absolute no brainer.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
jackos wrote:Doubt them two together are on half Stockdale's 40K, if thats what hes on, which it might be given that he arrived on a free. Won't be cheap getting rid of them either ...

Probably so. GK is a tricky one unless we can bring in a Stockdale or equivalent I don't want a mid level keeper blocking bpf.

For a team with any aspirations at the top end of the league BPF isn't good enough.

He's a poor man's Silvestri.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I would disagree he's actually made a similar start to Silvestri in terms of his Leeds career he's looked very comfortable at this level.

With only real mistake that's not bad he also compared favourably with the best keepers in the division in the latter part of the season.

Now he could go the way of Silvestri who took his foot off the pedal with the lack of competition and guaranteed starting spot (that's before we mention the dressing room environment) or he could continue to improve only time will tell.

I guess the real question is do we have realistic aspirations of promotion?

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Mr Reality wrote:I would disagree he's actually made a similar start to Silvestri in terms of his Leeds career he's looked very comfortable at this level.

With only real mistake that's not bad he also compared favourably with the best keepers in the division in the latter part of the season.

Now he could go the way of Silvestri who took his foot off the pedal with the lack of competition and guaranteed starting spot (that's before we mention the dressing room environment) or he could continue to improve only time will tell.

I guess the real question is do we have realistic aspirations of promotion?

A massive part of being a keeper is personality and being able to organise the defence and be a true 5th defender, let the CBs know who's running and who to mark etc.

That's what we lack.

He's a better shot stopper than I gave him credit for but he doesn't come for crosses and doesn't organise, he's not good enough. His good end to the season when there was nothing play for could easily be the outlier not the norm.

IMO we should be spending proper money on a keeper and CF.

Return to “The Square Ball”