o/t travel & tourism

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Need to go back there some time, it is a beautiful, varied country. Some weird dual nationality regions too. Haven't seen the folks wife worked with for ages. Also want to be in Motovun for the film Festival. Cool place.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm

OWETB wrote:We stayed in Hells Kitchen, on 42nd street.

Get a subway pass for a week, unbelievably good value - think it was $29 and the only restriction is you can't use it for 20 minutes after entering a station, this is obviously to prevent it being passed back through the barriers. Mate of mine lives over there and he said use the subway through the day but taxis at night.

Central Park is great, catch the red train to 110th street, enter at the north of the park and wander through it, 110th street is in Harlem but it is completely safe. There is fucking loads in there to do/ look at, it took us six hours and we didn't bother with the zoo or museums. Be careful of the coffee shops/ cafes in there, fucking well expensive 2 x coffee & 2 x (very small) ice creams came to £25! What I would suggest if you're going to spend a massive part of the day in there is to take a picnic. Where we were there was a co-op type shop, so everything is available and pretty reasonable anorl.

Grand Central station is an absolute must, it is the most beautiful building I think I have ever seen, utterly stunning. Over the road from here is the NYC Public Library, this is where the first ghost scene in Ghostbusters was filmed, however, there are no books.

The whole city just feels so familiar, it seemed that every corner we walked around, we recognised another famous building/ landmark.

Try to avoid eating at the touristy spots like Times Sq, just a rip off and poor quality. Do not eat from the street vendors, the look nice and smell delicious but we were told to only eat from them if we wanted to lose weight very quickly.

When are you going Phil? I'll keep adding to this thread as and when I have the time and when I remember stuff, are the kids going too?

Not actually booked yet but in more or less exactly a month (a day or 2 after the Stoke game).

And thanks, this is all valuable info :thumbl: .

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:03 pm

The Intrepid is a must, fucking quality. Go spend the day on that fucker! Are you taking the kids or just you and the misses? Things can start getting expensive if there are more than 2 of you, I think the Intrepid was $50 each, can't remember exactly but it is an amazing attraction if you like that sort of thing, it had one of the Space Shuttles on the deck when we went.

From there you can walk down a few blocks and get on the high line which takes you into Chelsea village where you will get some top scran. The high line was quite interesting, in so much as you basically walk passed peoples apartments whilst they're eating and stuff, none of them seemed bothered and some even smiled and waved.

Check the data charges on your mobile - o2 were charging summat like £6 a day for next to fuck all data! If this is the case with your provider, get a 3 payg sim, you can use it over there at no cost, it is part of their feel at home malarky - the data worked fine - didn't try to make any calls mind.

You will need to get your ESTA sorted out anorl, cost about £10 each.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Think my last (current) ESTA was fourteen quid.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Also install the official MTA subway map on you phone.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Think my last (current) ESTA was fourteen quid.

$14, that is the current cost.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:42 pm

OWETB wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Think my last (current) ESTA was fourteen quid.

$14, that is the current cost.

Ah ok, couldn't remember, must've claimed it back in dollars then...

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Just the 2 of us. ESTA isn't an issue, did that when booking Florida for September 17 so only about a year in on that. Got a decent credit card (creation) and a three sim to cover off those issues.

Highline, is that the abandoned rail line which is now a park? Quite fancy that anyway but forgot what it was called.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 am

New York booked, 5 nights in August. Also booked a 7 attraction explorer pass each for £224, seems great value. Penciled in for that are:
Empire state building
Liberty/Ellis island ferry + tour (2 separate things)
Reckerfeller observation
Bus tour
Intrepid
Madam Tussauds

Reckon we can add to that with some of: central park, highline, SoHo, little Italy, little China. Going to be a busy week!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:21 am

Hide some money at home for when you get back...

FER

Postby FER » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Empire state building

The people I've spoken to who've done the Empire have said that it's mega busy and you queue for hours to get in / up. Might be worth checking on less busy times (if they exist). You doing 1WTC?
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:50 am

Phil LUFC wrote:New York booked, 5 nights in August. Also booked a 7 attraction explorer pass each for £224, seems great value. Penciled in for that are:
Empire state building
Liberty/Ellis island ferry + tour (2 separate things)
Reckerfeller observation
Bus tour
Intrepid
Madam Tussauds

Reckon we can add to that with some of: central park, highline, SoHo, little Italy, little China. Going to be a busy week!

For me, Top of the Rock is a much better experience (the view is just of a more interesting part of town) than Empire State and there's not much to gain from doing both. Don't go up the Statue of Liberty unless you're really desperate to spend 4 hours queuing on a staircase staring at the ass of some 30 stone freak from Arkansas. Just go past it and back on the Staten Island ferry for next to fuck all.

I would strongly recommend that you try to get to a Yankees / Mets game if there's one whilst you're there. Baseball's a fairly dumb sport but it's massively worth it for the cultural experience.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am

FER wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Empire state building

The people I've spoken to who've done the Empire have said that it's mega busy and you queue for hours to get in / up. Might be worth checking on less busy times (if they exist). You doing 1WTC?

The queue will be pretty much non existent as he has booked and will be prioritised. Personally I wouldn't have booked the Empire State and the Rock, however now that he has - he should do the Empire during the day and the rock just as dusk is falling.

I'm surprised that Phil has gone for Madam Tussauds, all he has to do is close his eyes and think of parts of last season and the experience will be the same.

Where are you staying Phil?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 am

Suspect we'll wander round outside on liberty island, for the reason you mention. I have been looking into events but seems there's nowt on at Yankee stadium, New York City FC v Vancouver happens to weekend before we arrive. Beyond that, Shakira is on at Madison Square Garden and that's about it. Considering the Yankee stadium tour but would rather get to a game of some variety.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 am

Anyone been to Albania?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:20 am

Thinking of doing a little cave diving in Thailand. Anything to watch out for?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am

dirty leeds wrote:Thinking of doing a little cave diving in Thailand. Anything to watch out for?

My mate Elon wants to know if you want to try this new suppository he's been working on.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 am

dirty leeds wrote:Thinking of doing a little cave diving in Thailand. Anything to watch out for?

Bodies, presumably.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Sat killing a bit of time before heading to the airport for the return flight. We haven't quite managed to do everything we wanted, partly due to weather, partly lack of fitness but it's been very good.

No issues with queues for either the empire state building or liberty island (we hit both around 10am). Fucked up top of the rock slightly, we aimed for sunset but had to wait 2hr for a slot. Much preferred the empire state building, we could feel the building move too much at the Rockefeller center as it seemed to be swaying in counterbalance to some fairly unstable lifts (which came with an ability to see up the lift shaft). Also I'm not really one for heights but the empire state building's observation deck left me feeling it'd take some serious effort to be able to fall.

Very impressed with the intrepid, thanks for the tip, the growler submarine was particularly interesting.

Also saw grand central station (less impressive than I'd expected), the world trade centre and ground zero memorial (far more impressive than I expected), public library, flatiron building, madam tussauds, times square (repeatedly), a bit of central park, natural history museum (purely because we had a wet day), the fountain at Lincoln center (happens to be directly opposite the hotel), rode the subway, shopped in Macy's, did "the tour" which I'd highly recommend (guided bus tour in a bus with theatre style seats facing sideways, the bus had a good wall and ceiling) and walked over Brooklyn bridge.

Sadly we didn't manage to walk the highline (because knackered), see any of little Italy, little China, Yankee stadium, Madison Square garden or much of central park.

For the most part we've walked and taken different routes to see as many different aspects as possible, lots of interesting buildings to see.

Very much worth anyone visiting at least one.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:34 am

More local / low-key but Mrs O and I are massive fans of the uniquely English oddball slightly disheveled tourist attraction.

If you ever find yourself with a couple of hours to spare near Brentwood, get yourself to Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker. Up to 1994 it would have been the seat of government after a nuclear strike. There’s a handheld commentary thing you walk round with and it’s marvellously downbeat.

Best bit is that all that 70s Protect and Survive shit about building a fall out room in your house and staying there for 14 days - rather than aiming for the population to survive, the intention was to get you to die quietly in the comfort of your own home, not on the streets getting in the way of the army / emergency services.

Great stuff :cheers:

Return to “The Square Ball”