Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 pm

I see Sainsbury's has a Tamnavulin malt for £22. Might have to pay a visit. Get into the Christmas spirit, like.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:42 pm

dirty leeds wrote:I see Sainsbury's has a Tamnavulin malt for £22. Might have to pay a visit. Get into the Christmas spirit, like.

talisker skye was £25 in tesco last month. i'm 2/3 of the way through the Christmas spirit.

(i've already got more, including something from the southern most distillery in scotland)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:
Quiffy wrote:i blame the mason's gin.

Have you tried the G12 they are doing at Aldi? On my second bottle

i'll add it to my list. we've got a few open bottles at the minute. i thought i'd check in the garage exactly how many and found 10 different bottles of gin on the go at the moment. :P

i was in asda after their foreign export guiness the other night, turns out they had none, but they did have laphroaig at £23 :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:

didn't realise til i googled it that it was made by mason's, so it's obviously an 11th bottle now open. lovely looking bottle and maybe a decent traditional gin, but it's no mason's original imo. good for mixing with tonic, which makes me wonder what else do people mix with gin? I've had orange and martini, but that's about it.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Quiffy wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:

didn't realise til i googled it that it was made by mason's, so it's obviously an 11th bottle now open. lovely looking bottle and maybe a decent traditional gin, but it's no mason's original imo. good for mixing with tonic, which makes me wonder what else do people mix with gin? I've had orange and martini, but that's about it.

Assuming you've tried the various flavours of tonic? Elderflower, for example? I like that as a change.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:

Assuming you've tried the various flavours of tonic? Elderflower, for example? I like that as a change.

yeah given them a go and i'm a bit of a traditionalist on that front, i'm not even keen on fevertree, i prefer the harsh quinine of an old skool tonic.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:04 pm

[quote=“Quiffy”]which makes me wonder what else do people mix with gin?[/quote]

Ginger beer
Water
Soda
Bitters
Bitter lemon
Other spirits / drinks (eg Campari, sweet vermouth [negroni], Prosecco/champagne [Italian / French 75])
My liver
I like it. What is it?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Devi wrote:Ginger Beer
Water
Soda
Bitters
Bitter lemon
Other spirits / drinks (eg Campari, sweet vermouth [negroni], Prosecco/champagne [Italian / French 75])
My liver

and most conveniently i have a bottle of ginger beer open (try not to drink on a monday, but it is december) :thumbl:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Water
Soda
Bitters
Bitter lemon
My liver

and most conveniently i have a bottle of ginger beer open (try not to drink on a monday, but it is december) :thumbl:

What, all Monday?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:
Water
Soda
Bitters
Bitter lemon
My liver

What, all Monday?

yeah. no breakfast of champions, no bottle of sauvignon with elevenses, no early afternoon sniffter. nada.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Quiffy wrote:yeah. no breakfast of champions, no bottle of sauvignon with elevenses, no early afternoon sniffter. nada.

:salute:

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Quiffy wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:
Quiffy wrote:i blame the mason's gin.

i'll add it to my list. we've got a few open bottles at the minute. i thought i'd check in the garage exactly how many and found 10 different bottles of gin on the go at the moment. :P

a reassessment; it's well worth buying. it's got the mason's character, just not quite the same aftertaste. mason's lite at an appropriate price. :thumbl:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:27 pm

I’ve a habit of pushing the boat out a bit with wine for the bird at Christmas. I tend to go for a great big fighty oak-aged burgundy: Meursault or Montrachet. This year we’re going goose for a change and apparently the ‘official’ recommendation is either Barolo or, if you want to stay white, an off-dry Reisling or Gewürztraminer. I’m struggling a bit here - would prefer white but I’ve never really got on with Alsace wines. Has anyone encountered a genuinely decent one?

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Quiffy wrote:a reassessment; it's well worth buying. it's got the mason's character, just not quite the same aftertaste. mason's lite at an appropriate price. :thumbl:

:salute:

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I’ve a habit of pushing the boat out a bit with wine for the bird at Christmas.

Mrs olthwaite is not going to be happy when she sees this post Eric, can you Acid wash your hard drive or something?

Yep I need a recommendation for a really nice White wine too. Somebody I don't know did something amazing for me and Mrs OEE this year totally above and beyond, and the only thing I know she likes is white wine generally.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 pm

White wines.
1. Txakoli
2. Rias Baixas.
Avoid any white wine that has been anywhere near an oak barrel for more than a couple of months and even then beware.

You're welcome.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:00 am

Mustafaster wrote:White wines.
1. Txakoli
2. Rias Baixas.
Avoid any white wine that has been anywhere near an oak barrel for more than a couple of months and even then beware.

You're welcome.

Nice one. Will get on it. Ta

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:04 am

Pouilly fume is my favourite white, a taste of the first freshly cut grass of the year.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:50 am

Mustafaster wrote:White wines.
1. Txakoli
2. Rias Baixas.

You're welcome.

You’d recommend wines without knowing what food they’re partnering, just because you live near where they’re knocked out?

Ok, like.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:27 am

Quiffy wrote:Pouilly fume is my favourite white, a taste of the first freshly cut grass of the year.

But not a match for goose.

Return to “The Square Ball”