Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Quiffy » Thu May 17, 2018 6:15 pm

i love a drink but am trying to get a bit healthier. i've cut out booze on a monday and tuesday night and there are benefits to my mood, but tonight it's thursday and am enjoying a bottle of wine which is slapping me across the face with this question - 'why aren't there any non alcoholic drinks with any depth of flavour or interest?'

is it the slow processes involved in making wine and whisky that give it a depth of flavour, or is it just the variety of wines, whiskies, gins and beers that keep your interest? fuck knows but until they make a non-alcoholic drink that's as stimulatin on the palate then i'm never going to be as healthy as i could be.

...and if they ever could make such an interesting drink then there's an absolute fortune to be made.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 pm

My drink of choice to try and cope with driving: tonic with a dash of bitters. Ice.

Otherwise there's water, I suppose OH WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT OF WATER etc...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 pm

I know I drink too often but I don't drive for various reasons. The older I get, the less I worry about the effects. Is that just me or is anyone else reaching that point where they just don't really seem bothered and they'd rather sample a broad range of interesting foods and drinks and to hell with the consequences (within reason)?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 18, 2018 12:51 pm

FredFlintstone wrote:I know I drink too often but I don't drive for various reasons. The older I get, the less I worry about the effects. Is that just me or is anyone else reaching that point where they just don't really seem bothered and they'd rather sample a broad range of interesting foods and drinks and to hell with the consequences (within reason)?

Yeah. I often see things saying 'x drinks a week will take 47 minutes off your life' and think, 'So fucking what?' In principle I'm just not bothered about when I die. I guess that, counter to this, my major concern is that I'd prefer to die in good health if that makes sense. So if, say, there's a clear evidential link between a certain food or drink and dementia I would probably give that serious thought.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Tried an 'authentic' Jamaican curry goat recipe on the weekend. After marinading the meat and browning it off, it said slice a scotch bonnet in two, de-seed it, lob it in for an hour or two to simmer but take it out before serving.

Went to fish the fucker out after a couple of hours but it had pretty much dissolved altogether, leaving so much heat that it completely masked the flavour. I ended up sieving the meat and veg out and rebuilding another sauce. Won't be using one of those twats again anytime soon.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue May 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Schoolboy error eric, should have prepared it like a bouquet garni.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 29, 2018 4:42 pm

*cough*pussy*cough*
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 pm

OWETB wrote:Schoolboy error eric, should have prepared it like a bouquet garni.

Muslin bag or summat?

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
OWETB wrote:Schoolboy error eric, should have prepared it like a bouquet garni.

Muslin bag or summat?

Yeah, or just use half a bonnet next time - obviously taking into consideration Blackwhites very relevant post above.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu May 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 31, 2018 2:27 pm

Jamaican lady I used to work with pickled them, lovely stuff. And when you've finished the jar, fish and chips are never the same again (your ring either).

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Bought 30 day aged Aberdeen Angus rump steaks from Aldi because they were £3.29 and we thought ‘Fuck it, why not?’

Now, Mrs O can properly season and cook a steak, but these just didn’t have any flavour at all. I’m mystified / slightly scared to know how it’s possible to rear a cow so it doesn’t taste of anything?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:35 pm

On the flip side of this, it’s only fair to point out that Aldi £4.30 Claret is genuinely not at all bad.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:35 pm

So summer cold, douse it up with whiskey and lemonade says I. Now I'm not a whiskey drinker so I bought the cheapest. Tasted just like TCP. Horrible

Question is: they had glenlivet special reserve on offer. Would that have been any better/more palatable to a non connesseir like myself?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:12 am

I usually get given at least one bottle of bell's or some other nasty shit a year and dose with that. No need for the smoky Islay edges at all, vodka would be just as effective... It's only palliative after all.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:32 am

Americans.

LEARN HOW TO MAKE COFFEE. YOU HAVE HUNDREDS OF NATIONALITIES TO TEACH YOU HOW. FOR FUCK SAKE.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm

I am approaching tether’s end with the whole mega-citrussy IPA thing.

Beer needs to taste of beer.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:51 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Bought 30 day aged Aberdeen Angus rump steaks from Aldi because they were £3.29 and we thought ‘Fuck it, why not?’

Now, Mrs O can properly season and cook a steak, but these just didn’t have any flavour at all. I’m mystified / slightly scared to know how it’s possible to rear a cow so it doesn’t taste of anything?

Aldi

/End

:puker:

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:52 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:So summer cold, douse it up with whiskey and lemonade says I. Now I'm not a whiskey drinker so I bought the cheapest. Tasted just like TCP. Horrible

Question is: they had glenlivet special reserve on offer. Would that have been any better/more palatable to a non connesseir like myself?

Bourbon, drink something from a nation that knows what they are doing, not them defeated twats.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:38 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Bought 30 day aged Aberdeen Angus rump steaks from Aldi because they were £3.29 and we thought ‘Fuck it, why not?’

Lidl steak is much better. Not had the rump, mind.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”