Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:57 am

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:29 am

no herbie flowers? or that geezer jah wobble? or mark king? :lol:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:40 am

James Jamerson may have been a phenomenal bassist and whilst I appreciate that these lists are mainly designed to create debate, thus selling more subscriptions, the problem I have with Rolling Stone lists is that they are complied by people with knowledge of USA bands but their knowledge of UK or european musicians is pretty slim. The absence of Mark Clarke from the bassist list emphasises this point and as I recall The Rolling Stone equivalent list of best 100 drummers had Ringo Starr in the top 5.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 am

Bobbycollins wrote:The Rolling Stone equivalent list of best 100 drummers had Ringo Starr in the top 5.

i'm not really defending this but ringo's been labelled as a deceptive drummer, it's quite hard to play some of his stuff even though it doesn't sound complicated, which has given him a bit of kudos. the reason is that he's actually left handed but plays on a right handed kit. this means he tends to start his fills and beats with his left hand where most drummers would go with their right making it harder to copy.#trivia
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:50 am

I just love this song by John Lennon, this one and the classic Imagine just goes to prove what a class songwriter he really was on his own.
Sadly missed.

Phisher/Email fraudster.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:55 am

Jamerson was brilliant.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 am

Good bassists on there for sure, but it's a naff list right enough (well, they all are, I suppose): couple of people from every genre, nothing controversial. Off the top of me head: Jah Wobble, Norman Watt-Roy, Rockette Morton, Tony Sales, Brian Gibson. No Herbie Flowers even, FFS.

Edit to say that obviously the best bass player in the history of mankind is Steve Hanley, but I’ll accept that’s a personal prejudice and I’m not about to convince anyone else.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:04 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Good bassists on there for sure, but it's a naff list right enough (well, they all are, I suppose): couple of people from every genre, nothing controversial. Off the top of me head: Jah Wobble, Norman Watt-Roy, Rockette Morton, Tony Sales, Brian Gibson. No Herbie Flowers even, FFS

Yep.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Jamerson was brilliant.

Jameson was indeed fantastic, but a lot of the bass parts were actually played by Wilton Felder, not Jameson.
Jameson had a severe drink problem and frequently either didn't turn up for a session or was incapable.

The best of all the Motown bass lines, and possibly the greatest ever in any genre was Wilton.

Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Mustafaster wrote:

The best of all the Motown bass lines, and possibly the greatest ever in any genre was Wilton.

You mean it wasn't played by Jermaine?! :shock:

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Carol Kaye and Tina Weymouth usually top my list.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Think my fave Motown bass player was probably Bob Babbit, but I can't say as I've exhaustively researched this area.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Mustafaster wrote:

Jameson was indeed fantastic, but a lot of the bass parts were actually played by Wilton Felder, not Jameson.
Jameson had a severe drink problem and frequently either didn't turn up for a session or was incapable.

Not really true for a long time. His drinking didn't affect him all that much during the sixties. And he played on the single What's Going On in 1971. Bob Babbit played a lot of 'em later on, along with Wilton. And please spell his name right - he drank whiskey, but he wasn't actually named after it!
:mrgreen:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:07 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:

Not really true for a long time. His drinking didn't affect him all that much during the sixties. And he played on the single What's Going On in 1971. Bob Babbit played a lot of 'em later on, along with Wilton. And please spell his name right - he drank whiskey, but he wasn't actually named after it!
:mrgreen:

Yeah, it's one of those words that I always spell wrong, wierd.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Yeah, it's one of those words that I always spell wrong, wierd.

Heh-heh.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:21 pm

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:01 am

Fuckin ace sound she gets out of that sax.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 pm

I have a story to tell as I pay tribute to the man, Ennio Morricone.

Back in the early 2000s, I saw "Once Upon A Time In The West" for the first time. I had not seen anything like it. It's not at all like the Dollars trilogy. It was haunting, none of the characters were particularly likable, and the music veered from glorious to bad-ass to flat-out weird. I was instantly hooked and got the bare bones soundtrack CD available at the time.

I consider "Once Upon A Time In The West" to be the best movie of all-time ... and the music is a big reason why.

Less than a year after we moved to my current residence, my wife lost two kids and had to have two D&C surgeries in the span of five months. It was a terrible time. I was on the road doing my sportswriting job and was pretty torn up emotionally myself and keeping it to myself, which is my wont, for better or worse.

I put on the "West" soundtrack and played the theme of the movie, also repeated as "Jill's Theme" and then with an extended version at the end of the movie, the centerpiece of the film, one that used leitmotifs for each of the main characters. It is one of Morricone's most famous pieces.

Given where I was emotionally at the time, it's so evocative, that it made me instantly well up. It cut right to my core, but it's also so beautiful that it was uplifting at the same time it evoked sorrow.

I've never had any music have that effect on me. It was like it came straight from heaven.

For many years, I couldn't listen to the song, because I'd have the same reaction each time I heard it. A reaction I'm having now as I tear up listening to this remarkable music.

Thank you, Morricone. Your music affected me in a way no other art ever has. You are the greatest musician of my time and I am so blessed your music enriched my life.

"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Your choice of movie I agree with. And like you it tugs at the heart strings.

First time I saw that, it was a butchered cut where after the opening gunfire, you don't see harmonica move until he reappears in the tavern. There were other pointless cuts to take out an hour, and the soul. Plot with it.

Now it's a yearly watch at least, blu ray, big sounds, sat close. No interruptions, no piss breaks. Well, maybe. But SHUT UP...shhh...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:29 pm

The extended soundtrack of "Giu la testa", a double CD that I bought at almighty Amoeba Records in Hollywood back in 2012 for a steep price as it wasn't available in the U.S. at the time other than as an import (now, of course, it's available on Spotify), is his strongest from start to finish and perhaps the best album I own.

Though I think "West" is a better movie start-to-finish than "Giu la testa/Duck You Sucker/Fistful Of Dynamite", I think this scene from "Giu la testa" is the greatest scene of any movie of all-time ... and the music helps make it.

"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa

Return to “The Square Ball”