Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Some fucker from XL Recordings has just emailed me asking for permission to use one of our covers from the early '90s in a book that [label boss] Richard Russell is writing about them. [We did a label piece about them and there's a group shot of XL artists/people on the front of the mag.]
Now Richard Russell is one of the two guys [Damon Albarn being the other] who completely fucked up Bobby Womack's last album on earth.

... But anyway, I decide to rise above that, be nice and give them the OK to do it.
She writes back to me saying thanks 'but I'll have to send out the paperwork on this'.
Fuck that. They ask for a favour and now they're telling me exactly how I will be doing it.
I just wrote back saying as Editor and co-owner I already gave my permission in writing. They can either take it or leave it.
Fucking paperwork. Cheeky cunts.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:07 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Some fucker from XL Recordings has just emailed me asking for permission to use one of our covers from the early '90s in a book that [label boss] Richard Russell is writing about them. [We did a label piece about them and there's a group shot of XL artists/people on the front of the mag.]
Now Richard Russell is one of the two guys [Damon Albarn being the other] who completely fucked up Bobby Womack's last album on earth.

... But anyway, I decide to rise above that, be nice and give them the OK to do it.
She writes back to me saying thanks 'but I'll have to send out the paperwork on this'.
Fuck that. They ask for a favour and now they're telling me exactly how I will be doing it.
I just wrote back saying as Editor and co-owner I already gave my permission in writing. They can either take it or leave it.
Fucking paperwork. Cheeky cunts.

Ah, the sense of entitlement of record labels. Some things never change.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm

I'm betting you don't have a General Counsel.

I'm betting they do.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Fuckers can kiss my Private Parts.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 pm

Only once they've done the paperwork, else the liabilities are horrific.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:09 am

Not sure what possessed me to link this, but Bill Wyman’s doom-laden, dirty bass on “Gimme Shelter” from Altamont is not only amazing to listen to, it’s also the perfect tone for the doomed occasion. So heavy. Everyone else is choice here as well. Would love to hear this released in better fidelity someday.

The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:48 am

Cant find an appropriate existing thread, but I applaud this effort.

I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:24 pm

So Diddy reckons black music hasn't been given due respect by The Grammys - it's mostly not on the televised bit. He's right.
A shame his own music is such fucking shite, though, innit.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Devi wrote:Cant find an appropriate existing thread, but I applaud this effort.

Koppable. Top work.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Not an ex white but seriously WTF

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Impeachment en Regalia.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:43 pm

That's uncannily similar.

(I'll give you Peaches, even I quite like that one, that album really.)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:56 am

Mary-Anne Hobbs just played this on R6M

God I miss MES.

Tommy

Dirty Music

Postby Tommy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:05 pm

That album is a bit of a mess but the one after it ‘The Unutterable’ is a bit of a forgotten classic (at least the first side is, which is not uncommon for Fall albums). ‘Cyber Insekt’ to ‘Dr Bucks' Letter’ is the best run in that decade or so.

There’s another Fallen Women show coming up later this year, I can’t recommend it enough as a night out. MES would have probably hated the concept but it’s always a good time.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:22 pm

There’s just something brilliantly pure about all of The Fall’s 50s/60s covers. It’s the guitar band reduced to the most basic possible form.

Dods

Postby Dods » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:10 am

https://trib.al/GF62foY
Terry George? That Terry George?
"When Eddie Gray plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints." - Don Revie

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 am

Six posts up, Dods.

Dods

Postby Dods » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:42 am

Blackwhite wrote:Six posts up, Dods.

Ah yes. :?
In my defence this does have a bit more detail!
"When Eddie Gray plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints." - Don Revie

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:16 pm

Just booked tickets for a concert at the Philharmonie in Berlin as the building’s been on my bucket list for years. We had a choice of two nights but my financial director advised that we shouldn’t be going for the Stravinsky option at 100€ a pop, so we’ve booked the much cheaper unreserved seats one the next night: Strauss’ Also Spake Zarathustra op.30.

I’m a little concerned that this might occupy the same position in German popular consciousness as Elgar for Brits. Best polish up the jackboots; it’s a good job Mrs O and I can pass for fairly Teutonic looking.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 am

Mrs welshwhite for the last few weeks has been digging deep into her family tree. Found out she's a relative of the American singer Norah Jones and they've been in constant touch for about a week on Facebook and Messenger.
I don't mind her as a singer but my Mrs plays her songs just a tad too much since she found out.

Norah has offered us both to visit her at the end of May and that's where a problem could start.
If we fail to get an automatic promotion spot the first playoff game is the 25th of May and my Mrs will not fly on her own.

Come on Leeds, do it for Mrs welshwhite and Norah.

Return to “The Square Ball”