Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Professor Weeto

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:53 pm

Devi wrote:Weirdz. Editing a post now simply posts it again with the edit.

Ho hum.

I think you might have accidentally hit 'reply with quote' instead of 'edit'. I do it all the time.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Ah.
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:02 pm

On one of the silly money houses I've done the client spent weeks with the AV consultant listening to the very best unlimited budget built in (wall and ceiling) speakers to be found on the planet.

I went there a couple of months after they'd moved in and they were listening to Magic FM :clown:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:35 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:On one of the silly money houses I've done the client spent weeks with the AV consultant listening to the very best unlimited budget built in (wall and ceiling) speakers to be found on the planet.

I went there a couple of months after they'd moved in and they were listening to Magic FM :clown:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:37 pm

I usually do What's Going On, obviously, because I know it so well. Have heard it on all sorts of systems, but never at Master quality. That would be nice.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:39 pm

dirty leeds wrote:I usually do What's Going On, obviously, because I know it so well. Have heard it on all sorts of systems, but never at Master quality. That would be nice.

Next time you're up north you're welcome to come and listen in the studio! Probably just about the most neutral listening environment in West Yorkshire.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:I usually do What's Going On, obviously, because I know it so well. Have heard it on all sorts of systems, but never at Master quality. That would be nice.

Next time you're up north you're welcome to come and listen in the studio! Probably just about the most neutral listening environment in West Yorkshire.

Cheers. On my way...

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 pm

Not really. But thanks. Will do.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:26 pm

Tommy wrote:Aja is the first thing I play whether I get any new audio equipment. I’ve done this for as long as I can remember but can’t remember why.

My copy of “Aja”is weird. Side 1’s “Black Cow” and “Aja” sound immaculate and rich. The dynamics between the many instruments make you understand what audiophiles drool over.

But then the sonic perfection seems to fall off on “Deacon Blues”, the last song on Side 1,for some reason. It sounds more dense. Not sure why that would be, though I’ve read that the original masters for the aforementioned two songs are gone, but the rest of “Aja” is still around. Maybe that’s it? Have no idea.

Don’t know what was lost in the Universal fire of 2008 either, not that it would matter for my copy as its an ABC Records original from the late 70s.

Great album, though, and one I’ve only appreciated in mid-adulthood.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Tommy

Dirty Music

Postby Tommy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:31 pm

I seem to recall that certain songs are actually more demanding on the physical grooves (to the extent that artists were limited for years on which song they could close a side on) but don’t know enough about the science.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Louder is wider iirc. So loud means less time.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Tommy wrote:I seem to recall that certain songs are actually more demanding on the physical grooves (to the extent that artists were limited for years on which song they could close a side on) but don’t know enough about the science.

You get less top end as the groove reaches the middle of the record. That’s why lots of older albums end both sides with ballads.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:16 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Louder is wider iirc. So loud means less time.

This is why I’ve been given to understand that the very best audio quality (in pop music*) resides in the 12” single.

I think probably the best sounding record I’ve ever owned was the 12” Hot Mix of Slave To The Rhythm.

*Also heard it said that the best classical recordings used a better quality of vinyl.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:21 pm

Yeah, that touches my question for Prof or NEOther: does heavyweight vinyl equal better sound?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:28 am

Professor Weeto wrote:
Terre Harte II wrote:Not so much a musical recommendation, but I bought a record player recently, a decent one, and I’ve been wanting to buy LPs that have the best sound to them. Not that I’m an audiophile obsessive. Far from it, and I’m even farther from being knowledgable about it beyond the extreme basics.

On a work trip yesterday, I bought a 70s vintage copy of “Exile On Main Street”. All I knew was that I had read that recent re-issues of classic albums are overly compressed, compromising sonic quality, and that the richness of original vinyl is superior IF you can get a clean copy. So that was the only signpost that guided me.

Still, I was curious about when the LP was pressed, so I jumped into the dense world of the hardcore audiophiles and read up on Exile in their communities.

As expected, the consensus was that the pressings from the original year or so are superior. You could tell the difference by looking at the etchings in the deadwax, the runout after the side ends, which basically has the DNA of any record.

If you found a UFO-like symbol (the symbol for Artisan, a well-respected group that mastered albums in the 70s) in the deadwax, you had the one you wanted. Sure enough, there was that Artisan symbol on all four sides of my Exile. I lucked out and likely got a bargain on it.

Audiophiles are a fascinating cult. There are devotees of well-respected mastering technicians. There’s pressing plants that were considered superior for some records. And that’s just the North American releases. The European LPs are a world unto themselves.

I read a 14-page debate on Steely Dan’s “Aja” - obviously a record you want the best sonic quality - that was both hilarious in its wonky divides, but also interesting in the little details you learn. Turns out, I have the best version of that too, purely by accident.

As it was for anyone buying these records at release. It’s not as if you could pull them out and check the serial numbers. You might have got the definitive version or you might have purchased a dud.

Neat diversion to read about.

As a mastering engineer myself I'm happy to report that the more rabid end of audiophilia is just as bizarre and baffling to those of us in the profession as it is to laymen.

Also, some remasters do sound better than the original. It's definitely not the norm, but technology has come a long way and if mastering engineers were actually allowed to do what they think sounds best rather than be dictated to by artists and labels - who often have a very distorted vision of what they assume the public wants - then I think most 'classic' records could be improved, sonically.

What a cool job. How do you get into that line of work?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:45 am

TH has apparently missed the other, arguably cooler part of your career, Prof...

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:21 am

Blackwhite wrote:TH has apparently missed the other, arguably cooler part of your career, Prof...

Too busy listening to the Nolans, I expect. [Go ahead, Prof, make the fucking Nolans sound great for TH, whydon'tcha.]

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:51 am

Terre Harte II wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:
Terre Harte II wrote:What a cool job. How do you get into that line of work?

Ceci n’est pa un Weeto

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:13 am

Blackwhite wrote:TH has apparently missed the other, arguably cooler part of your career, Prof...

Clearly. If anyone wants to fill me in, PM me.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:28 am

Terre Harte II wrote:

Clearly. If anyone wants to fill me in, PM me.

:roll:

Eric did: watch clip. Dance along with Weeto.

Return to “The Square Ball”