Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
topbin

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby topbin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 pm

Yeah, and the usual gripe that I’ve been through that nearly 50 times and yet to see a single person working in any way.

FER

Postby FER » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am

At least they have the roadside board telling you what %age they've completed. But yeah, like most m'way roadworks, never seen any work going on.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

JimbobMaloney

Postby JimbobMaloney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm

They do it all at night.
I finish work late and the motorways are always closed - makes the speed limit during the day even more frustrating

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Took me a fucking age to work out how to get out last night when I came across the SE bound closed and then the diversion signs were shite.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:37 am

'Road works', you say?

Quite clearly, it doesn't.
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:02 pm

So, speeding issues:

- Anyone got any experience of these bastard new HADECS 3 cameras?
- Likewise anyone contested multiple offences on one journey?

(and yes, could have posted on stupid cunts. I’m currently in limbo, waiting to see what drops through the fucking letterbox)

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:06 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:So, speeding issues:

(and yes, could have posted on stupid cunts. I’m currently in limbo, waiting to see what drops through the fucking letterbox)

You’re nicked!!!
:lol:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

FER

Postby FER » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:33 am

Have you blasted through a load of controlled speed zones doing 90? :rambo:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:38 am

FER wrote:

Weeell...

Did my usual tanking up the M1 around 80/85 where traffic allowed. As I understand it this HADECS shit is related to variable speed zones, but opinions are divided on whether the cameras function when the variable speed limit is not in operation - ie at 70. From the positioning, it looks a lot like you can flummox them by coordinating with a big artic in the slow lane which blocks the camera, but I'm not really sure.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
FER wrote:

Weeell...

Did my usual tanking up the M1 around 80/85 where traffic allowed. As I understand it this HADECS shit is related to variable speed zones, but opinions are divided on whether the cameras function when the variable speed limit is not in operation - ie at 70. From the positioning, it looks a lot like you can flummox them by coordinating with a big artic in the slow lane which blocks the camera, but I'm not really sure.

They flash like fuck if they get you. Seen them go off.
I've seen contradicting info on whether they are on all the time or not so I do 70 past them when the signs are off.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 am

Young hooligans.

FER

Postby FER » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Ponte wrote:They flash like fuck if they get you. Seen them go off.
I've seen contradicting info on whether they are on all the time or not so I do 70 past them when the signs are off.

I believe that it's dependant on which Police force area you're in. Some use them all the time, some don't.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Young hooligans.

I'm getting better as the years go by. There was a time when my trips up north would see me bouncing off the 100mph mark. I'll probably be driving legally by the time I have to give up my licence to fading eyesight.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:28 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Young hooligans.

I'm getting better as the years go by. There was a time when my trips up north would see me bouncing off the 100mph mark. I'll probably be driving legally by the time I have to give up my licence to fading eyesight.

Ha, yeah, I'm kinda limited by the quality of my car and how gentle I need to be with it.

FER

Postby FER » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:27 am

dirty leeds wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I'm getting better as the years go by. There was a time when my trips up north would see me bouncing off the 100mph mark. I'll probably be driving legally by the time I have to give up my licence to fading eyesight.

Ha, yeah, I'm kinda limited by the quality of my car and how gentle I need to be with it.

My first motor was a Mk1 Fiesta which shook when I got over 50! My current motor will cruise up to 100 without complaint, I sometimes need to check myself on the m'way.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

I've always tended to think that most cars I've owned have had a cruising speed where they just feel 'comfortable'. Unfortunately my current Alfa has a very leggy 5th where it seems to feel happiest at 3000rpm, which equates to 92 or 93mph. Not good.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I've always tended to think that most cars I've owned have had a cruising speed where they just feel 'comfortable'. Unfortunately my current Alfa has a very leggy 5th where it seems to feel happiest at 3000rpm, which equates to 92 or 93mph. Not good.

There's a part of my motorway journey home from being away where the road conditions, the sudden loss of roadside reference points and the proximity to me bed often elicit 110+ before I know I'm doing it.

I blame the car ossifer. (No, I can't see it working Eric.)
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 am

Blackwhite wrote:There's a part of my motorway journey home from being away where the road conditions, the sudden loss of roadside reference points and the proximity to me bed often elicit 110+ before I know I'm doing it.

:cheers:

This may be quite tame compared to your old hell-raising anecdotes, but it’s good to see at least a modest return to form (assuming you’re not talking about PS4).

You should never have let gentle ribbing deter you from so richly entertaining us with your adventures and tales of derring do! Hopefully this is an indication they’ll be back.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:32 pm

An evil combo: wearing a light colour lightweight gentleman's trouser (it being the summer and all that) and those water-saving spray taps. It's virtually impossible to wash your hands without everyone thinking you've splashpissed y'self.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:50 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:An evil combo: wearing a light colour lightweight gentleman's trouser (it being the summer and all that) and those water-saving spray taps. It's virtually impossible to wash your hands without everyone thinking you've splashpissed y'self.

Do you not suffer from an 'after dribble'? I though a gent of your distinguished years would shy away from light coloured trousers for that reason.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”