Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
FER

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby FER » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 am

the flying pig wrote:
FER wrote:Forgive me, but what's a Millenial? Is it someone born between 2000 - 2010 or someone who grew up / came of age during that period? I do get confused about this. :scratch:

usual definition: born sometime in the 80s [or at a stretch early 90s], reached 'adulthood' sometime fairly close to y2k.

:thumbl: :salute:
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 pm

jeans pockets are shite. they always develop holes in them after a few months because of keys and you get that shivery cold drip down your leg as the first 5p leaks through the hole.

nothing wrong with the rest of the jeans, just worn in nicely.

so i have to take them round my mum's to fix
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Quiffy wrote:jeans pockets are shite. they always develop holes in them after a few months because of keys and you get that shivery cold drip down your leg as the first 5p leaks through the hole.

I've been getting that shivery, cold drip down my leg of late, too. But then I am 60. [Bound to have worn something out by that age.]

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:jeans pockets are shite. they always develop holes in them after a few months because of keys and you get that shivery cold drip down your leg as the first 5p leaks through the hole.

I've been getting that shivery, cold drip down my leg of late, too. But then I am 60. [Bound to have worn something out by that age.]

surely you mean that briefly comforting warm drip? :mrgreen:

wizard of the dribble? unlike eddie gray, do you leave yellow prints in the snow?
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

FER

Postby FER » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am

I find that it's the mark left by the shape of ones wallet in the back pocket which is most annoying,
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:27 pm

If you keep your wallet there, you're the mark.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon May 07, 2018 2:32 pm

British Gas - bunch of cunts.

About 4 years ago I got 'hive' so that I could have more control over my heating and therefore reduce my bills.
2 years ago I got a new boiler fitted (not from BG) and the boiler is supposed to be one of the most efficient on the market.
I also got smart meters fitted around 2 and half years back, this was to enable accurate billing and for me to be able to see what i am using and when, with the theory that it would make me more careful with my usage. I soon got fed up of seeing the cunt every time I went in the kitchen so I stuck it in the back room out of the way.

Now just those 3 measures above should have seen my usage drop due to having more control of the heating, having a really efficient boiler and accurate monthly bills.

This morning I got an email informing me that they are amending my direct debit - result I thought until I opened the fucker. 1 have been paying £35.49 a month for gas and they want to change it to £73.50! More than fucking double, how the fuck do they work that out when the smart meters give accurate readings every month and bill accordingly?

Then within minutes I get one regarding the electric with this 'Your monthly payment amount needs to change from £46.48 to £39.08.'

I think I need to shop around for a new supplier, any suggestions?

Phatphil65

Postby Phatphil65 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Sign up to moneysavingexpert.com and subscribe to their energy saving service. Regular emails about the best deals. Martyn Lewis is shit hot.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon May 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Phatphil65 wrote:Sign up to moneysavingexpert.com and subscribe to their energy saving service. Regular emails about the best deals. Martyn Lewis is shit hot.

This

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon May 07, 2018 6:09 pm

On a related note. My brother got a bill to say he owed £1200 in gas. When he rang them up they were insistent he owed them it and if he has an issue to contact the builders (he’s in a new build flat) to sort it out. He suggested it’s their responsibility with the meters.

The biggest laugh of all? He doesn’t have gas in his flat!

topbin

Postby topbin » Thu May 10, 2018 9:44 am

Phatphil65 wrote:Sign up to moneysavingexpert.com and subscribe to their energy saving service. Regular emails about the best deals. Martyn Lewis is shit hot.

Or: move to Bulb as then you are using renewable energy rather than tarring the world with coal. The costs are still competitive, too.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 10, 2018 11:06 am

Bulb still seems a bit too good to be true, but I can't fault it yet.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri May 18, 2018 7:08 am

Fucking twat across the road. Car alarm stated going off at 1am, did fuck all about it until 6am. Cunt.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 18, 2018 9:38 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Fucking twat across the road. Car alarm stated going off at 1am, did fuck all about it until 6am. Cunt.

2am. Dogshit. Under door handles. You're welcome.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Better on the car door handles.

Less tactical. More tactile.
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Oh dear God, how I hate bastard fucking iTunes.

A while back my MP3 player packed up and at the same time I got given a new iPhone that I can just about squeeze 50Gb music on. So I thought that would do. But iTunes is just so relentlessly idiotic I’m going to have to go out and buy a different music player.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm

I mean, why the fuck is Disc 1 of Substance by New Order but Disc 2 is a compilation?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed May 23, 2018 10:02 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:A while back my MP3 player packed up and at the same time I got given a new iPhone that I can just about squeeze 50Gb music on. So I thought that would do. But iTunes is just so relentlessly idiotic I’m going to have to go out and buy a different music player.

RIP to your SanDisk Clip. I remain on the look out for them. It occurred to me t'other day that the best iPod replacement now is any of the many Android smartphones hovering around the £100 price point. There must be at least one music app you would get on with in the Google Play Store and if you just use it for tunes the battery life would probably be quite good. Or a second hand Samsung/HTC/Pixel etc. Most of them have a slot for an SD card and even 128gb is dirt cheap these days.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Start of the art seems to be these Cowon things but they're not cheap.

However . . . I see that you can get alternative iOS apps which just provide a better interface onto your existing library. This sounds like the place to start.

Return to “The Square Ball”