O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

People are doing, seen a few shots from inside this morning.

Southern rose is still intact
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am

I fair sure wouldn't want to be the one has to climb and take all that scaffolding down... :pale:
I like it. What is it?

Musson Grumble

Postby Musson Grumble » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 am

On a lighter note, it's probably a good thing that they won't have to rebuild Notre Dames twin towers. Lest they be replaced by a steel arch.
Eat more English celery.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Worry not. I'm sure a white knight will ride in with plans for a nightclub, hotel, conference centre and lots and lots of cladding.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Musson Grumble

Postby Musson Grumble » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Ken?
Eat more English celery.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Talk of how the Palace of Westminster is just as likely to suffer a catastrophic fire. The difference in public opinion on the topic should be obvious. I'd pack marshmallows.

Musson Grumble

Postby Musson Grumble » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:18 pm

It dates from the same period originally as Notre Dame but does not have the same emotional/romantic kudos (?) as the Parisian structure.
Westminster was rebuilt after a fire, ironically, in the middle ages, and rose again to iconic status. Should something befall the building now, I suspect many would rally round to support its resurrection.
Eat more English celery.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Musson Grumble wrote:Westminster was rebuilt after a fire, ironically, in the middle ages

A pedant objects. The fire was 1834 and it was rebuilt 1840-76 after an architectural competition in 1836. Not really Middle Ages. Architectural sidenotes:

- The competition was judged by a bunch of Tories who had no professional experience, but put themselves forward because they'd done shit like built their own country piles, and assumed that they knew what they were talking about.
- The competition was held over much too short a timescale, so all the entries were something of a half-arsed bodge.
- The competition rules stated that it had to be a Gothic / Elizabethan building, even though the predominant building style in the country at the time was neo-Classical. The reason for this was that the Capitol and White House has been built in a classical style, and Tories therefore considered it dangerously republican and insufficiently conservative.
- The winner was Charles Barry, who had only ever designed classical buildings, working with AWN Pugin who was a proponent of Gothic but without the experience to design it himself. The two of them hated each other. If you look at the river elevation it's clearly designed as a classical building but decorated in gothic tat.

In other words, it's as British a building as it's possible to be: procured by vainglorious incompetents, under unworkable conditions, according to absurd rules driven by reactionary political sentiment, and the result is a botch job driven by compromise, which isn't exactly what anyone actually wanted.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm

looks like a lot of it survived & i don't suppose anyone will, in a hundred years' time, much care that so many key bits of it are relatively new.

i'm sure they can have it looking better than ever given say 20 years & enough euros to build, y'know, say 10-20% of a HS2 or something.

Musson Grumble

Postby Musson Grumble » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Yes, you're correct, rebuilt in 1840 onwards. Middle ages was not right, I apologise.
However, the build was started in 1016. Which is before Notre Dame. So the beginning was earlier, but yes it's a British or even English achievement, so let's rubbish it, given the vainglorious attitudes of the procureres. Seems to me that's mostly why anything is built.
Eat more English celery.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:27 pm

It is imperative that the Palace of Westminster undergoes the upgrades to prevent anything similar happening to it. I think the reported cost was to be in the region of £5b, yes it is a lot of money but it would be worth every penny.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm

OWETB wrote:It is imperative that the Palace of Westminster undergoes the upgrades to prevent anything similar happening to it. I think the reported cost was to be in the region of £5b, yes it is a lot of money but it would be worth every penny.

I know a bloke who's working on this on the commercial side in project management. I'll just note that there is no effective commercial oversight on the employer side at all. Think of some numbers, write them down, wait for the cheque. Nice work if you can get it.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 pm

OWETB wrote:It is imperative that the Palace of Westminster undergoes the upgrades to prevent anything similar happening to it. I think the reported cost was to be in the region of £5b, yes it is a lot of money but it would be worth every penny.

Or, alternatively, push it into the river.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Blackwhite wrote:

Or, alternatively, push it into the river.

Nah, it should be protected, the people inside is a different story however. It is part of our heritage, £5b is fuck all in the grand scheme of things. The complex is as immediately identifiable as other world wide iconic buildings. People have Westminster Palace on their to visit list when in London, it is a must see for tourist, same as Notre-Dame.

It is 7 years since the Olympics, and it has pretty much been forgotten about and that fucker cost about £10b, Westminster will be attracting visitors for hundreds, even thousands of years to come, it must be renovated.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Cam some fucker please burn down the West Stand...

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:35 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Cam some fucker please burn down the West Stand...

About 65 years too late with that call.

Will someone capture a photo of kalvin coming through the debris, ball in hand, before we sell him to juventus for shedloads.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:18 am

A few days after the fire and there's already getting on for a billion promised for restoration much of it by the uber rich.
Hmmm....
Now I'm as sad as anybody to see this fantastic building so badly damaged, but, well... its just a building.
Couldn't that money be better spent?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 am

Mustafaster wrote:A few days after the fire and there's already getting on for a billion promised for restoration much of it by the uber rich.
Hmmm....
Now I'm as sad as anybody to see this fantastic building so badly damaged, but, well... its just a building.

I saw something similar posted on Facebook saying the money should be spent on helping disadvantaged kids. It’s a shame we think that it’s a choice we have to make. There’s more than enough cash in the world to do all the good things, it’s the lack of will that’s the problem.

Basic example France spent over $50bn on defense last year, worldwide it was over $1.7tn. Cash has never been the problem.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 am

Wakefield White wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:A few days after the fire and there's already getting on for a billion promised for restoration much of it by the uber rich.
Hmmm....

I saw something similar posted on Facebook saying the money should be spent on helping disadvantaged kids. It’s a shame we think that it’s a choice we have to make. There’s more than enough cash in the world to do all the good things, it’s the lack of will that’s the problem.

Basic example France spent over $50bn on defense last year, worldwide it was over $1.7tn. Cash has never been the problem.

You're totally correct of course.
Just that occasions like this kind of ram it down our throats.
Compare and contrast with Grenfell.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 am

Wakefield White wrote:There’s more than enough cash in the world to do all the good things, it’s the lack of will that’s the problem

Not sure I’d agree with that, Wakefield.

There are finite resources in the world economy - so we have to prioritise - and prioritisation often involves difficult choices.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Return to “The Square Ball”