O/T Nerdy phone advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
OWETB

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby OWETB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:43 am

I'm still plodding on with my old Nexus, I have pretty much decided on the One + but fuck me, I can't seem to get my head around paying £450 for a fucking phone - I have had cars that didn't cost me that much.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

... And other than the inevitabilities of battery lifecycle limitations you'd still be motoring happily onwards. Great phone apart from the camera.

You can pick up an old first gen pixel for less I should imagine.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

topbin

Postby topbin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:56 am

Yeah I guess I should be clearer - to get to that stage of monopoly I think you have to be a fairly unethical company just from moral grounds, so I don’t get why some people prefer one over the other to a tribal extent. It’s not like any of them are John Lewis/Lush/Suma.

You can replace batteries in them, that’s not really a reason to upgrade. Just get a new battery for £50.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Right, I have got a Oneplus 5T, got the 128gb, only an extra few quid. The best bit is the half price airtime - 40 gig of data, unlimited calls and texts for £15 a month for the next two years. I doubt that I will get anywhere near to using that much data but I suppose it has sort of future proofed me incase I start downloading films and stuff.

Anyway, I recon this fucker will see me right for the next 3 years until 5g is up and running.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Well about fucking time etc and so on... Data deal is pretty good.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

OWETB wrote:Right, I have got a Oneplus 5T, got the 128gb, only an extra few quid. The best bit is the half price airtime - 40 gig of data, unlimited calls and texts for £15 a month for the next two years. I doubt that I will get anywhere near to using that much data but I suppose it has sort of future proofed me incase I start downloading films and stuff.

Anyway, I recon this fucker will see me right for the next 3 years until 5g is up and running.

I have one. You won't be disappointed. Great wee phone.
We are now phone buddies, bonded forever!
Andymac

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:
I have one. You won't be disappointed. Great wee phone.
We are now phone buddies, bonded forever!

I know I won't be disappointed, I am mega impressed with it and I've only had it a few hours.

So far the things that I like...

1 - instant unlock with facial recognition.
2 - Instant unlock with finger prints.
3 - Not trying to plug the USB charger in the wrong way.
4 - 3 finger screenshot.

Really clever bit of kit, bloke cloned my nexus to this and everything other than apps ported over flawlessly, the reason the apps don't transfer apparently is because they are all password activated, it took less than an hour to set it up with all the apps when I got home.

Phone buddies and bonded forever, we should get a room.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Nice idea

Shame that apparently it’s not great yet

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat May 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Anyone any idea of a decent phone for around £200? needs a decent memory and a big(ish) screen. Not for me obviously as I am still having my love-in with my One+

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:01 pm

OWETB wrote:Anyone any idea of a decent phone for around £200? needs a decent memory and a big(ish) screen. Not for me obviously as I am still having my love-in with my One+

Get the Moto G5s. Just got one for the boy. I checked the ratings and it's well up there. 32gb memory, good camera and operating system.
Andymac

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat May 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Not sure the 32 will be enough, but the 64 looks pretty good at £240 :thumbl:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sat May 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Yeah I think the motorolas, also the Vodafone branded whatsits, have been some of the best 'value' phones you can buy for a good while now.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:45 pm

OWETB wrote:Not sure the 32 will be enough, but the 64 looks pretty good at £240 :thumbl:

Check Amazon. May get it better than £240.
Andymac

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Blackwhite wrote:https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/996758911989567488?s=19

funnily enough i always presumed they'd do this as soon as you allow this privilege when installing the app. i have been trying to wonder how them knowing my movements, normally to and from work etc, will lead to them doing anything i don't want. so long as they don't sell it to weburgleanyhouse.com i'm not going to worry too much.

but then again if there is going to be a more sinister use of my movements (not the bowel ones) then i want to know. it may just be my lack of imagination :?:

for example, how can hedge funds use this data?
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Quiffy wrote:

Not just hedge funds.

I remember years back talking to someone with an interest in ANPR camera system installs. He was adamant there would be no mission creep and it was all for traffic management. He now admits to feeling extremely naive, given how many times this data has been used or produced by intelligence services.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:

Not just hedge funds.

I remember years back talking to someone with an interest in ANPR camera system installs. He was adamant there would be no mission creep and it was all for traffic management. He now admits to feeling extremely naive, given how many times this data has been used or produced by intelligence services.

it may well have been used but for what sinister end? why does he feel so extremely naive? i just want to get a better handle on this.

(personally, i'd like to worry less and sleep better, so i try not to think about these things)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm

There's no need to worry in particular: unless you speed, for instance, where you could be betrayed by your GPS if that becomes the enforcement: the simple statement is that you and your car's progress around the major arterial routes will be logged automatically and can be pulled for whatever purpose they justify. Need to know where you drive to, and how fast? Do-able.

Imagine that kind of data as you went shopping, how long you spent where...created with what you spent. Crossed over of course with your social media saying how you felt. There's angles there...

FER

Postby FER » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am

If you really want more of this, check out @iamdylancurran and find his tweet thread from 24/3/18 which tells how much info etc. is stored from your FB & Google accounts etc.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 am

If only there were some way to post Twitter threads... :mrgreen:

Return to “The Square Ball”