Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Mr Reality

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Captain marvel is a fun watch it's a bit muddled at the start and not on the same level as some of the recent marvel films but well worth a watch.

The de ageing of Sam Jackson is very good.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Finally caught up with Mother last night. Think I'm done with him and his bible shit now.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Mr Reality wrote:Captain marvel is a fun watch it's a bit muddled at the start and not on the same level as some of the recent marvel films but well worth a watch.

Agreed, great couple of hours fun.
Andymac

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Captain marvel is a fun watch it's a bit muddled at the start and not on the same level as some of the recent marvel films but well worth a watch.

Just sat down to watch this, let's be honest, it's just killing time for the main event in the next month or 2.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Possibly but it's always nice to have new characters branching out from the central story.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Inheritance. Starts off well as a look at how grief affects a family, with a nice mood of foreboding going on. Sadly it tails off in the last third into some sub-Excorcist bollocks and tests audience capacity for patience in the face of silliness. 6.5/10

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Mr Reality wrote:Possibly but it's always nice to have new characters branching out from the central story.

It was very enjoyable though agree it's not Marvel's best effort.

Thought the age reduction stuff was generally pretty good but Coulson was hit and miss, a couple of scenes looked very fake while others very good.

Liked the nod to Stan before it started.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Watched First Man on Friday, thought it was good.

Ryan Gosling stretches his repertoire by being a quiet and moody Neil Armstrong. The film focuses on the progress from the early 60s through the Gemeni and Apollo missions in the build up to 69. There’s lots of focus on Armstrong family relationship and the tragedy in his family life, and also the human cost of the space programme. Left me a bit in awe of people who can take those kind of risks to progress science. They must have needed a fair amount of additional rocket fuel just to lift their bollocks of the ground.

Solid 7.5/10
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Just watched Free Solo (not a star wars thingy). Heart was in my mouth most it. Really good show.
Andymac

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Just watched Free Solo (not a star wars thingy). Heat was in my mouth most it. Really good show.

Yeah I really enjoyed that too.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 am

Andymac-47 wrote:Just watched Free Solo (not a star wars thingy). Heat was in my mouth most it. Really good show.

That's the climbing one, right?

Got a long flight today, not sure extra tension is what I need to be going for, though :lol:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Seen two this week.
1. Stan and Ollie.
Biopics all the rage atm, this is quite a good one.
Very faithful to the story and characters as far as I can see. About their promotional trip to Britain in their twilight years. Bittersweet and laid on with a trowel at times.
But very watchable with two gerat lead performances. Coogan is a revelation as Stan.
7/10 good entertainment.

2. Finding Steve McQueen.
Ace, just ace.
Heist film set in the Nixon era. Heist films are nearly always good and this doesn't disappoint.
Pretty conventional in many respects in the way it plays with the time lines and the obligatory luuurve interest.
But there are a couple of neat twists, especially who is getting robbed and why.
Music is great.
All the actors fine.
Direction has a Tarantino feel to it, as does the writing.
Just a very good watch, everything done right.
7.5/10. Moneysworth.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Really enjoyed it, best thing either of them have done in ages.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:04 am

A Private War.

How she didn't win the Oscar for that I do not know. Phenomenal performance in a phenomenal film.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 am

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the gratuitously unnecessary nude scene, which was very remiss of me. I only watched that bit twice as I was on the plane.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Matt White wrote:Inheritance. Starts off well as a look at how grief affects a family, with a nice mood of foreboding going on. Sadly it tails off in the last third into some sub-Excorcist bollocks and tests audience capacity for patience in the face of silliness. 6.5/10

As you have obviously noticed, this should of course read "Hereditary." I'd like to just thank you all for not mentioning it. I appreciate your tact and diplomacy at this difficult time. :oops:

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:

I've struggled a bit with some of the later Marvel films . I've enjoyed them a lot in the past - Capt America , Avengers , Thor , Dr Strange .....but more recent IMO have a bit too much silly humour in that take away from the films , even the last Avengers seemed a bit contrived at times . I am sort of currently watching Antman ( say sort of as I think I've lost a bit of interest at half way ) , struggled A LOT with Black Panther and gave up . Its a shame as I have enjoyed a lot of them in the past . Haven't seen Capt Marvel yet .

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:28 pm

Clacton white wrote:
Andymac-47 wrote:

I've struggled a bit with some of the later Marvel films . I've enjoyed them a lot in the past - Capt America , Avengers , Thor , Dr Strange .....but more recent IMO have a bit too much silly humour in that take away from the films , even the last Avengers seemed a bit contrived at times . I am sort of currently watching Antman ( say sort of as I think I've lost a bit of interest at half way ) , struggled A LOT with Black Panther and gave up . Its a shame as I have enjoyed a lot of them in the past . Haven't seen Capt Marvel yet .

Today I was reading a football forum when I came across a rant from a (presumably) grown man who was bemoaning the fact that a marvel or DC or something film was (working on a premise of genetic mutated superheroes or something) "contrived".
I didn't know whether to call a point of order or to get fucking shitfaced. I have chosen the latter and any incidents that occur as a result of my decision are solely the responsibility of Clacton White :drunk:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:51 pm

The animated Spider-Man film is very good, doe :thumbl:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:28 pm

MightyWhite wrote:The animated Spider-Man film is very good, doe :thumbl:

Yeah, a rare one of this sort of film I'm keen to catch.

Return to “The Square Ball”