Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Had cause to recall that Locke thing today. Site I'm on at the minute is completing a properly big concrete pour today: over 3000 cu m poured continuously over three days; best part of 500 truckloads at about 6 or 7 per hour, 24 hours a day. Anyway: Locke said it was the biggest non-nuclear pour in Europe or something, at 355 tonnes. Firstly, no one describes concrete in tonnes, it's always cubic metres. Secondly 355 tonnes is about 160 cu m, or less than half a piss. Maybe 20-25 truckloads, not the 200 odd mentioned in the film. I find it bizarre that they'd go to the effort of establishing the mise-en-scene with a bit of expert knowledge, then get it completely wrong. Why not just ask someone and put some meaningful numbers in?

As far as I'm aware, ours was still nothing like a record breaker, but it still went off without anyone getting pregnant or divorced, giving birth etc. Which is nice.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:48 pm

FER wrote:Final Score

The only reason I watched this was because it was set in a footy stadium. I was very much expecting a load of bollocks. I was not disappointed.

If you've seen Die Hard and Taken, then you've got the plot of this bag of shite all sewn up. It's set at Upton Park for the 'last match' which is a Euro semi-final (!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) against 'Dynamo FC' and stars Dave Bautista (I think he was a wrestler and is very much in The Rock mould). Think of being at ER and nobody in the whole stadium notices that there's a bloke riding a motorbike across the roof of one of the stands, and that nobody notices the chopper hovering 10 foot above the stadium, and that nobody notices when said biker bloke then falls and hangs off the edge of the roof of the stand over the pitch and proceeds to climb down back into the stand. Nobody bats a fucking eyelid! Utter, utter shit!

The plot is thin, the acting isn't great and it will have you shouting "Bollocks to that!" at the screen

3/10

Dave Bautista ~ Drax :salute:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:08 am

I saw Lucky yesterday, Harry Dean Stanton’s (PBUH) last major role. It’s lovely - well, as lovely as a film about a 90 year old coming to terms with his imminent death could be.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Watched ‘do you want to win’ on amazon prime. I really enjoyed it. Two thing stood out though, fotherby seemed like quite a likeable chancer and Strachan is an absolute legend!
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:34 am

Okja on Netflix. Really odd mix of Babe, comedy, action adventure and Black Mirror. Doesn’t quite seem to hang together but it’s worth watching.

What’s interesting is that the CGI is both exceptionally well executed and 100% believable conceptually.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Oi, Eric, innit you what fancies Tilda? Bit of wanking material for you:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45835324

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Since Quiffy mentioned Better Call Saul on the TV thread, I'm reminded of a film with Bob Odenkirk in a cameo I saw recently on Netflix, called Nebraska.

Shot in black and white, it's a road movie about a confused old man who gets scammed, believing he's won a fortune, and his encounters with various family members and old friends who want a share. It's lovely, and Bruce Dern as the old bloke and June Squibb as his wife, are superb.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 am

Watched “The dark tower” the other night. It’s hard to comprehend that there could possibly be a worse film in existence.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:11 am

I quite enjoyed the Stephen King books but that film was just a whole load of boring, charmless, nothingness
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:48 am

AndyPaul wrote:Watched “The dark tower” the other night. It’s hard to comprehend that there could possibly be a worse film in existence.

BC

Postby BC » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 am

NO

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:00 am

Anyone seen Mandy yet?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:51 am

nah - even when i saw an apparent critical consensus that it's genuinely enjoyable i thought, 'yeah, i'll wait till it's out on video'.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 am

Likewise. I've similarly swerved his version of Bad Lieutenant just on the general principle that life's too short for Nicolas Cage's Bullshit.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am

Blackwhite wrote:Likewise. I've similarly swerved his version of Bad Lieutenant just on the general principle that life's too short for Nicolas Cage's Bullshit.

i've definitley been meaning to get round to watching that, this last decade or so.

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 am

Ah you’re missing out, it’s absolutely fucking bonkers. Cage is pretty much perfect for it, he even Kinski rolls into frame at one point. I don’t even know if it’s good but if you subscribe to the theory that the worst thing a film can be is dull, it certainly can’t be described as bad.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:49 am

You said it there yourself: if I have time for that kind of thing I'll watch Aguirre for the nth time instead.

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:34 pm

I’m waiting for the reboot of that with Samu Saiz in the title role.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Tommy wrote:I’m waiting for the reboot of that with Samu Saiz in the title role.

Sailing off downriver into who knows what with a raft full of monkeys, all answering to the name Pablo.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:53 pm

I like my true life Drama....enjoyed BlackKklansman today well worth watching.

Return to “The Square Ball”