eric olthwaite

Re: The creekit

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Marvellous stuff

Member of a clique

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:08 pm

I see that the new ICC Chairman has suggested that the World Test championship may not be fit for purpose and might be discontinued. This will come as a shock and a severe blow to those cricket fans who have been glued to the twists and turns of this event, which ranks only second to the Checkatrade Trophy in terms of worldwide interest.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Eoin Morgan apparently getting coded messages from the boundary at this evening's T20 dead rubber against the Saffers? Given his expertise and success as Captain, can't help but wonder if he finds that a touch insulting?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Tommy wrote:Eoin Morgan apparently getting coded messages from the boundary at this evening's T20 dead rubber against the Saffers? Given his expertise and success as Captain, can't help but wonder if he finds that a touch insulting?

It's fucking ridiculous. By all means, go ahead and fix things that need fixing, but there's no need to do anything here: the on-field captain is God and should remain so. It's an essential part of the game.

Anyway, it's only bish-bosh, so meh.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 pm

Dawid Malan becoming a short format gun batsman this year is a late game revelation that might actually eclipse Stuart Dallas.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 am

Having read the following report on the coded messages yesterday https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12173/12148477/englands-secret-signals-eoin-morgan-offered-information-from-balcony-by-analyst-in-third-t20i, I can't say that I'm convinced that third party analysis during an innings will be of great help. I thought the role of the Analyst was to pore over hours of video prior to a match or series, before indicating that Batsman A was vulnerable to a snick down the leg side in the early part of an innings, or squared up by a left hand bowler from around the wicket etc. Whilst the captain may have numerous aspects of the game to consider when in the field, I can't imagine he will receive much in the way of additional insight during the course of a batsman's innings and as Tommy pointed out yesterday, it's potentially insulting to a captain of Morgan's experience and possibly a distraction

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Captain Turgid... blah blah... The Thug... more blah... Buttler Fingers... further blah.

Just in case anybody's missing it, like.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:03 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Captain Turgid... blah blah... The Thug... more blah... Buttler Fingers... further blah.

Just in case anybody's missing it, like.

The Plough needs some runs though................

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:36 pm

I can only assume Roy is there to lose his wicket now. I suspect we'll never see Hales back but it's reached the point where I'd be prepared to give someone else a run out. Maybe Root could go in as a part time spinner? Malan has shown that someone who can keep the score ticking over is still useful at T20 level.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Isn't 99 not out at a strike rate of 210 in the last match and a T20 international average of 53 at a strike rate of 149 a bit better than keeping the score ticking over? Jason Roy is only averaging 23 in T20 internationals and appears to be suffering from desperation. I would quite like Adam Lyth to be given a shot at T20 for England, as his aggressive batting in T20 has improved over the last few years, as has his bowling.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Yeah I was thinking Lyth too. I guess it won't happen because of the lack of time to integrate someone new.

YJB has also been recalled the Test side, though I'd imagine he won't feature. I know he's been fairly pish with the red ball for a while but I'm always vaguely glad to see him back.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:Isn't 99 not out at a strike rate of 210 in the last match and a T20 international average of 53 at a strike rate of 149 a bit better than keeping the score ticking over?

Well, quite but I always feel like for T20 player Malan takes a bit of time to get going. I don't know if the stats bear this out at all. He's on such good form regardless.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Yep, Malan seems to like having a look at the bowling before accelerating, which is fine as long as he doesn't then lose his wicket.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Just heard Tim Paine - in a desperate attempt to find some positives in Australia's rout by India in the second test - say they "were in with a chance of winning both matches" so far in the test series.

Yeah, right, Tim. Very nearly won today, didn't you?

Or to put it another way...
You lost by eight wickets, with a day to spare.
No batsman made 50 - the first time an Australia team has failed to do so in a home Test since 1988-89 - and they have been dismissed in this series for 191, 195 and 200, before chasing down 93 for victory in the first Test.
Opener Joe Burns has made three single-figure scores in four innings, while Steve Smith - the number one Test batsman in the world - has a highest score of eight this series.
Australia were fined 40% of their match fee and docked four ICC World Test Championship points for a slow over-rate.

Great showing, lads. Best side in the world.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Australia also having an opener called Burns feels passive aggressive too.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 pm

After two days of the first Test, I thought it would make a pleasant change for England to play India rather than another Ashes series. I then looked at the fixtures and found that we are playing India almost non-stop during 2021. Which will be nice.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Unless one of you cunts is going to come on and make up some hilarious, punny nicknames for the players being discussed this thread is not worth reading.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm

metalsmurf wrote:Unless one of you cunts is going to come on and make up some hilarious, punny nicknames for the players being discussed this thread is not worth reading.

World Of Paine?
Starc Staring Bonkers?
3rd Degree Burns
St Vitus Smith?
Cowardly Lyon?

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:31 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
metalsmurf wrote:Unless one of you cunts is going to come on and make up some hilarious, punny nicknames for the players being discussed this thread is not worth reading.

World Of Paine?
Starc Staring Bonkers?
3rd Degree Burns
St Vitus Smith?
Cowardly Lyon?

Thank fuck for that.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Trumper

Postby Trumper » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:30 pm

Ashes holder Steve Smith
Ashes winner Mitch Starc
Nathan “Slayer of three” Lyons
Pat “I have the ashes” Cummins
Tim “the urn owner” Paine
Josh “winning ashes is so boring” Hazlewood
Joe Urns
Dave “I’m a fuckwit” Warner

Return to “The Square Ball”