The state of UK politics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
welshwhite

Re: The state of UK politics

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:40 am

No surprise to me that the one stiring the shit was the Rhondda MP Chris Bryant.
He's the one that made the amendment to start it all.
He and his husband live nearby.

Boris Johnson has suffered his first parliamentary defeat since the general election after 46 Conservative MPs, including his predecessor Theresa May, joined the opposition to vote against plans that would have allowed MPs to vote on and discuss allegations of harassment and workplace misbehaviour made against them in the House of Commons. Thanks to an amendment by Labour’s Chris Bryant, the complaints will instead be tackled via a genuinely independent process. Most embarrassingly for the government.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:31 am

They did ok out of the Russians, TBF.

One day you might even read about it :pig:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:33 pm

Blackwhite wrote:They did ok out of the Russians, TBF.

I only ever skim read all political posts, never been interested in the slightest, that's probably the reason I have no worry lines and a full head of hair. I've been told I still look like a teenager.

On re-reading my post it could look like a very un-PC post for this day and age. I should have worded it differently but I was dashing to pick up an order from Argos.
If anyone sees anything un-PC in it I apologise.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:30 pm

welshwhite wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:They did ok out of the Russians, TBF.

I only ever skim read all political posts, never been interested in the slightest, that's probably the reason I have no worry lines and a full head of hair. I've been told I still look like a teenager.

On re-readin my post it could look like a very un-PC post for this day and age. I should have worded it differently but I was dashing to pick up an order from Argos.
If anyone sees anything un-PC in it I apologise.

Apologies mate, I shoulda quoted Eric, was replying to him. Wasn't replying to you at all :D Can see why you thought that, though.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:31 pm

not sure about RLB's sacking.

she [or maybe even a minion?] retweeted an indy interview of one of her constituents, a small part of this interview being said constituent claiming that the george floyd killing took place using techniques learned from israeli "secret services".

the indy had taken the trouble to fact check this & printed, as part of the original article, a counter-claim by an israeli source that they didn't use such techniques. neither claim nor counter-claim was given particular prominence or favour over the other.

there's being robust against AS and then there's whatever this is.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:34 pm

The weird thing was that when de Menezes got double-tapped on the tube and her statement would've been absolutely bang on the money, she didn't say it. But now it's bollocks, she does. Go figure.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:50 pm

the flying pig wrote:not sure about RLB's sacking.

she [or maybe even a minion?] retweeted an indy interview of one of her constituents, a small part of this interview being said constituent claiming that the george floyd killing took place using techniques learned from israeli "secret services".

the indy had taken the trouble to fact check this & printed, as part of the original article, a counter-claim by an israeli source that they didn't use such techniques. neither claim nor counter-claim was given particular prominence or favour over the other.

No, it’s not good. There’s an Amnesty article doing the rounds which talks about the Israeli police travelling the world to train cops, so it’s hardly a conspiracy theory. It feels a bit like an internal culture war.
Member of a clique

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:09 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
the flying pig wrote:not sure about RLB's sacking.

No, it’s not good. There’s an Amnesty article doing the rounds which talks about the Israeli police travelling the world to train cops, so it’s hardly a conspiracy theory. It feels a bit like an internal culture war.

i don't think it's disputed that training happens, the dispute centres on whether that particular technique is taught.

so she's *retweeted* an article written by a newspaper which has *added its own balanced counter* to *a possibly incorrect claim made by another person about which techniques Israeli forces teach when they train international police forces*. it's a fairly long way from, say, RLM having herself authored a sequel to 'mein kampf'.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:21 pm

The fact that there’s videos of Palestinians being choked in a similar fashion to George Floyd, and that Palestinians have recorded the time of the change in Israeli tactics a while back, all just a massive coincidence I’m sure.
Member of a clique

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:25 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:The fact that there’s videos of Palestinians being choked in a similar fashion to George Floyd, and that Palestinians have recorded the time of the change in Israeli tactics a while back, all just a massive coincidence I’m sure.

i've absolutely no idea whether that's true or whether the interviewee's claim about training is true or not, it might or might not be, but the key point is that retweeting an article wihch presents it as one of two competing theories just isn't, y'know,...

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Here's a stick, please beat me with it, comes to mind.

First excuse to get her out.

Poshwhite

Postby Poshwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:50 pm

the flying pig wrote:i've absolutely no idea whether that's true or whether the interviewee's claim about training is true or not, it might or might not be, but the key point is that retweeting an article wihch presents it as one of two competing theories just isn't, y'know,...

But doesn't the phrase, "... is an absolute diamond" suggest support for the person putting forward the contested view (and potentially the contested view)?

NB Not had time to read the actual article yet because work, but have seen the furore developing around the comments because working from home...

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:59 pm

To put it in forum terms, it was a hospital ball from RLB. Do nothing and the Tories can claim "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". Sack her and the Momentum types can howl about Red Tories running the party.

FWIW I back Starmer. Swift and decisive. He's been back by various Jewish groups already. It also shows up the Tories who have, and continue to, defend Cummings and Jenrick.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Poshwhite wrote:
the flying pig wrote:i've absolutely no idea whether that's true or whether the interviewee's claim about training is true or not, it might or might not be, but the key point is that retweeting an article wihch presents it as one of two competing theories just isn't, y'know,...

But doesn't the phrase, "... is an absolute diamond" suggest support for the person putting forward the contested view (and potentially the contested view)?

NB Not had time to read the actual article yet because work, but have seen the furore developing around the comments because working from home...

I guess the issue is that Twitter doesn’t do nuance. If MP had made a single explicit statement and RLB had rt’d it and said ‘she’s a diamond’, then it’s a fair cop. But if MP says a couple of dozen things in one interview, is RLB endorsing all of them 100%? It’s a tricky call.
Member of a clique

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:30 pm

FredFlintstone wrote:To put it in forum terms, it was a hospital ball from RLB. Do nothing and the Tories can claim "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". Sack her and the Momentum types can howl about Red Tories running the party.

FWIW I back Starmer. Swift and decisive. He's been back by various Jewish groups already. It also shows up the Tories who have, and continue to, defend Cummings and Jenrick.

agree. he's drawing a line in the sand between him and corbyn. the radio has reported it as she's been 'sacked', quite a curt, stark description but it makes him look decisive and in control. there's no doubt she's taken the fall for him and i bet she's been made aware of this behind the scenes. she'll be back.

(this opinion is based on fuck all apart from my opinion of the game of politics)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:23 pm

Quiffy, charity bet? Ten quid to your charity if she's back on the front bench in a year. Two years, cos I like you.

Bielsa1919

Postby Bielsa1919 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Cunts gonna cunt.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Quiffy, charity bet? Ten quid to your charity if she's back on the front bench in a year. Two years, cos I like you.

Yeah. I'm on for that. :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Quiffy, charity bet? Ten quid to your charity if she's back on the front bench in a year. Two years, cos I like you.

And vice versa, of course. No free lunches here.

I'm sure you can afford it with all the money those dumb Americans are giving you for pizza and pedophiles.
Bookmarked, hope I discover it in a couple years :lol:

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:

And vice versa, of course. No free lunches here.

I'm sure you can afford it with all the money those dumb Americans are giving you for pizza and pedophiles.
Bookmarked, hope I discover it in a couple years :lol:

not really got a clue what you mean - pizzas and pedophiles? it's alliterative, I'll give you that.

i'm seeing keir playing the teacher who's new to a notorious class. you go in, act the cunt for a bit, life's easier for a lot longer than a bit.

he's also setting a clear distinction between how the tories dealt with dominic cummings, never apologise and brush it under the carpet and his perceived leadership style. it's a smart move in all but the actual seeming injustice, but that's just detail and people can't be arsed with detail nowadays.

RLB is a high profile face of modern labour, i doubt he's going to want to seriously alienate her. if i wasn't a yorkshireman i'd even accept longer odds than evens.

Return to “The Square Ball”