O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Eddies Boots

Re: O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Clearly nothing wrong with defining it as a philosophical belief.
The benefits would be??? protection against someone taking the piss at work (hard to imagine someone trying to force their meat on another person), or being free to ask not to be assigned to an account for a meat-based customer/vendor?

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:If you think you can convince a judge you’re an ‘ethical vegan’ you may now qualify to bring an harassment claim against piss taking colleagues :cheers:

Ethical veganism is philosophical belief, tribunal rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50981359

That article asks : So, for example, could a worker on a supermarket checkout refuse to put a meat product through the till?
Are we really going to have different checkouts because some teenager decides she doesn't want to eat veal?
A better question - could an employer stipulate that handling meat products is a mandatory requirement for hiring to a checkout position. Or perhaps they would state it as handling all products sold by the store.

Without going too much into the technicalities....

A vegan who has to go on the meat counter who feels they’ve been wronged would likely have to claim Indirect Discrimination - which means that the employer hasn’t specifically singled them out for bad treatment, but their overarching policy of all staff having to man the meat counter would by its nature hurt/disadvantage more vegan people than non-vegan people.

With Indirect Discrimination an employer is entitled to put forward something called Objective Justification - which in essence means that the less favourable treatment is justified because it’s a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim. So to the legitimate aim might be to ensure that the tills are staffed appropriately and with a consistent level of service to the general public. The question is is it proportionate to insist a vegan member of staff has to perform that function and there wasn’t any other way of achieving the same result.

So you’d likely find that, say, Tesco, with a dozen different functions in each of its stores would find it harder to justify forcing a vegan to handle meat than a local delicatessen, cafe etc who can’t feasibly be expected to have folk with such narrow functions

Sorry, that was long winded. :mrgreen: In summary it’s unlikely to be a big deal except for very niche scenarios
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Ontolly

O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Postby Ontolly » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:49 pm

I’m sure Americans would view the concept of vegans having a beef as quite ironic.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:00 pm

From what I’ve read, it seems more like this is a whistleblower sacking issue? I think the guy’s legal team were just establishing the veganism ethics thing as a precursor to fighting the dismissal?

WRT to Tesco questions, I sometimes buy beers for the train home from a shop with a lass in a hijab. I’m sure she’s ethically opposed to booze, but she seems happy enough to flog them to me.
HM Collector Of Parcels

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:34 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:From what I’ve read, it seems more like this is a whistleblower sacking issue? I think the guy’s legal team were just establishing the veganism ethics thing as a precursor to fighting the dismissal?

WRT to Tesco questions, I sometimes buy beers for the train home from a shop with a lass in a hijab. I’m sure she’s ethically opposed to booze, but she seems happy enough to flog them to me.

Yeah seems like he’s claiming automatically unfair dismissal on the grounds of whistleblowing and/or discrimination.

Tribunals will often have a preliminary hearing to decide on a key point of law before then having the tribunal proper to hear the actual case (so we’ve established veganism is protected, let’s come back in a few months to decide whether your veganism was actually anything to do with your sacking).

Exact same scenario occurred a couple of weeks back with the woman who was tweeting her views that your birth sex cannot be changed. On that occasion the court decided that wasn’t a philosophical belief (as it offended the rights of others) and so the case was thrown out as soon as that preliminary question was answered
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Kinell.

Sydney. High forties Celsius and massive air pollution eleven times above health limits. You've got to feel for any cunt suffering that shit.

God's Own Country my arse. Think you folks may have identified ownership by the wrong protagonist.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:20 pm

She says she’s raised $300k in two days. Whatever it takes, I guess:

HM Collector Of Parcels

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:21 pm

I’m no hippy, and rarely believe in this kind of stuff, but I can’t help thinking that this is too weird a coincidence not to mean something.

My guess? Aborigines must have seen this shit before. It is surely one of our greater modern world fuck ups that we don’t listen to the old world enough.
I like it. What is it?

Musson Grumble

Postby Musson Grumble » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Lovely.
Eat more English celery.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:59 pm

Norwegians have just banned Lexus and others from using the description ‘self-charging hybrid’ on account of it being nonsense bollocks.

Which appeals to me.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:06 pm

Had one of those e-tron Audis as a courtesy car a while back, with the regenerative braking etc. Brakes felt disturbing. I was expecting extra stopping but it just felt slushy.

Nippy enough in pure electric for about half an hour and then just another petrol car and handed over.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Had one of those e-tron Audis as a courtesy car a while back, with the regenerative braking etc. Brakes felt disturbing. I was expecting extra stopping but it just felt slushy.

Nippy enough in pure electric for about half an hour and then just another petrol car and handed over.

Did it have one of those single pedal things for accelerator and brake? That shit scares me.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:36 pm

Nah, very conventional automatic. Two pedals, clicky paddles for fake manual.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:05 am

Long, but outstanding assessment of where we’re at, and where we need to be, as Planet Earth PLC from Blackrock CEO, Larry Fink.
I like it. What is it?

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:34 am

Devi wrote:Long, but outstanding assessment of where we’re at, and where we need to be, as Planet Earth PLC from Blackrock CEO, Larry Fink.

Has he CC'd Donald?
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:36 am

Devi wrote:Long, but outstanding assessment of where we’re at, and where we need to be, as Planet Earth PLC from Blackrock CEO, Larry Fink.

This immediately set off my cynicism alarms, but it actually looks to be helpful.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Some cheery reading while we wait to guillotine the Royals at ER:

Story.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:38 pm

X-post with End of the World shenanigans

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:08 pm

Jeez, do you not have your own fcking look at me forum somewhere bigot ? ...I'm sure if you inform all your alias, DL, Tommy and Ponte you'll have afcking ball enlightening them of your intelligence.....

C'mon it's easy for you to do.....BLACKWHITES FANTASTIC FORUM...... somebody must've done it here so i'm sure they'll help you set it up....and 100% i promise i will not go there of that you can rest assured.....in fact you don't even need to tell me where it is.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

JohnGiles

Postby JohnGiles » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Blackwhite wrote:X-post with End of the World shenanigans

Jean Challis

Return to “The Square Ball”