Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ignatius J. Reilly

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 am

Professor Weeto wrote:

Completely meaningless when we’ve committed £15 million for Costa. Wages are a far more important metric for evaluating football spending anyway.

Indeed. Also even on its own terms that statistic is complete nonsense. Took me two minutes to find another team with a lower net spend this season (Swansea). Almost as if the original tweeter completely made it up

Ignatius J. Reilly

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:57 am

Indeed. Also even on its own terms that statistic is complete nonsense. Took me two minutes to find another team with a lower net spend this season (Swansea). Almost as if the original tweeter completely made it up

In fact there at least 4 other teams just in the Championship with a lower net spend than us in 2019/20, including West Brom and Brentford, and they seem to be doing alright as well

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:59 am

Ignatius J. Reilly wrote:

Morning Linda.
I like it. What is it?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:06 am

I think we’ve missed a trick today. Hudds have signed Andy King for the remainder of the season on loan from Leicester

He’s a really good player and can play centre mid or as a 10, has experience and creativity.

On an unrelated matter, I’ve never seen a manager work harder than Chris Wilder to get rid of a player than he is with Billy Sharp. Every day drip drip drip!

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:15 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:I think we’ve missed a trick today. Hudds have signed Andy King for the remainder of the season on loan from Leicester

He’s a really good player and can play centre mid or as a 10, has experience and creativity.

I'd be looking for someone better than King, who has been on loan at Swansea, Derby and Glasgow Rangers in the last 3 years without playing or doing much. Another Spanish midfielder (no idea who) would be my preferred option over a UK journeyman.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Another rumour, this time Dwight Gayle - 65 grand a week, I doubt it.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... le-3740267
Phisher/Email fraudster.

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Hes injured at the moment correct?

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:11 pm

welshwhite wrote:Another rumour, this time Dwight Gayle - 65 grand a week, I doubt it.

thats a lot of money for a player who hasnt scored a single goal this season!!!

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:00 pm

alienbumnote wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Another rumour, this time Dwight Gayle - 65 grand a week, I doubt it.

thats a lot of money for a player who hasnt scored a single goal this season!!!

But one who is undoubtedly a better goal scorer than PB.

Just think , if we can get him without loan fee an agree to pay all his wages till end of season, he'd cost us approximately a third of what Eddie cost us for the first half of the season.

Does investing a million quid in DG for 16 weeks give Us a better chance of promotion than not doing it?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Chieftain626 wrote:Hes injured at the moment correct?

Dwight Gayle's suitors have received a boost after it emerged his hamstring injury is not as bad as first feared.

Striker Gayle was forced out of Newcastle's 1-1 draw against Wolves after just 28 minutes on Saturday.

The 29 year-old suffered a small tear and the initial concern was that he would be sidelined for up to six weeks.

But following medical tests Gayle is likely to return to training in two to three weeks and is earmarked to resume playing early next month.

That will be welcome news for his Championship admirers who want Gayle to come in and hit the ground running so he can quickly bolster their respective promotion bids.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ature.html
Phisher/Email fraudster.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Yeboah wrote:
But one who is undoubtedly a better goal scorer than PB.

Just think , if we can get him without loan fee an agree to pay all his wages till end of season, he'd cost us approximately a third of what Eddie cost us for the first half of the season.

Does investing a million quid in DG for 16 weeks give Us a better chance of promotion than not doing it?

He scored 24 times last season in this league for WBA.
He'd be more or less fully ready to help us once his slight injury is sorted.

With the amount of chances we create there is no risk factor of bringing him here. He'd be knocking them in for fun.
I'd like to think it would guarantee a top two finish for sure.

Tick tock.
Phisher/Email fraudster.

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Looks like the Adams deal is dead and Bielsa might be considering using Edmondson

https://tbrfootball.com/marcelo-bielsa-admits-he-may-be-wrong-about-leedss-ryan-edmondson/

He reminds me of Noel Whelan when he broke through...

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 pm

alienbumnote wrote:Looks like the Adams deal is dead and Bielsa might be considering using Edmondson

https://tbrfootball.com/marcelo-bielsa-admits-he-may-be-wrong-about-leedss-ryan-edmondson/

He reminds me of Noel Whelan when he broke through...

I watched the press conference. He definitely didn't sound like he was considering using Edmondson: Bielsa basically said, in a roundabout way, that he doesn't think he's good enough yet. Also dismissed the idea of him going out on loan, stressing the fact that he's only 18. I think we all, myself included, tend to forget he's quite that young.

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:36 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Gray#Club_career

....and Andre Gray.... what do we think worth it??? Looks Beckford Esque (Chavvy) but knows where the net is!

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Professor Weeto wrote: Also dismissed the idea of him going out on loan, stressing the fact that he's only 18. I think we all, myself included, tend to forget he's quite that young.

Smith, Lennon & Milner were scoring for us at the top level at 18 and younger.

Obviously Bielsa does not think he's ready so we have to go along with that.
It's a shame he's not deemed ready to step up as he knows what style we play, etc.
Phisher/Email fraudster.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 pm

gray isn't really anything other than a placefiller at PL level, he's IMO proved that over the yrs, i'd be against a long-term deal. if fit though he could imo make a useful contribution to us this season.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:29 pm

the flying pig wrote:gray isn't really anything other than a placefiller at PL level, he's IMO proved that over the yrs, i'd be against a long-term deal. if fit though he could imo make a useful contribution to us this season.

Could easily offload him to another Championship contender next season, though, provided we don't go mad on the wages front. The £200m we get for going up, not to mention the QSI takeover, will render our currently debated payments in and out virtually meaningless.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Sell the best holding player in the division and play a CB out of position in his place. Inspired.

I don't see any real problems with Douglas, he was doing far better Vs Sheff Wed than Alioski did. I'd like to see more of Davis too but both Dallas and Alioski are good enough. We don't need another left back.

The 2 regular LB options are very poor defensively, with the additional issue for BD of lack of mobility and injury.

Not seen enough of Davis to comment.

Best holding MF in division is a debatable point, but the one time he didn't play we won, away. His importance to the team is overstated IMO.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:37 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
the flying pig wrote:gray isn't really anything other than a placefiller at PL level, he's IMO proved that over the yrs, i'd be against a long-term deal. if fit though he could imo make a useful contribution to us this season.

Could easily offload him to another Championship contender next season, though, provided we don't go mad on the wages front. The £200m we get for going up, not to mention the QSI takeover, will render our currently debated payments in and out virtually meaningless.

No one gets 200m for going up. Bournemouth have been in the EPL for years and only turnover 140m, Burnley even less.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Alan Nixon on Twitter reckons we have made an offer to Hull re Bowen: £3m now to borrow him for the rest of the season, with an obligation to buy for a further £15m IF we go up.
If we don't, then he goes back to Hull as their player.
Bowen enters the last year of his contract at the end of this season and so far no Prem clubs have made an offer that has interested Hull.

Return to “The Square Ball”