Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:42 pm

TBH I haven't really got a problem with the progress of the club's pursuit of Adams and I suspect he's a decent footballer, but I'm not actually convinced he's ideal as a Bamford backup / replacement (if that's what's intended).
Member of a clique

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Tommy wrote:Between Dallas, Douglas, Alioski and Davis we absolutely do not need another left-back. Frankly I'm fine with any of them starting and it's a way to keep Dallas in the side once he's no longer needed in midfield.

In terms of Adams - ordinarily we should wait to see if he's available but it seems like the situation with James has made us paranoid. In my opinion we shouldn't give up until we get a hard no from Saints. It'd be shite to plump for a lesser player out of impatience and then see Adams go to another Championship club towards the end of the transfer window.

It's the timing which worries me most, more than who the eventual player is (assuming we'll actually get a striker this window).

If we'd got someone in a few days after the Arsenal game we could have put them through a mini pre season and had them ready for Feb missing only 3 games and with Bielsa able to work extensively with them due to the extra down time. In Feb we've got 7 games, a have every 3 days. They'll barely play until after the March international break (if they're not an international and away in that 2 week break).

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 pm

I guess one positive if we do eventually manage to land Adams is that Southampton are one of the hardest-pressing sides in the Premier League. Hopefully his fitness, at least, would be pretty much up to scratch.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:54 pm

And the new guy will probably start from the bench and build up anyway - ideally replacing Bamford after a few games. Adams can do that.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:TBH I haven't really got a problem with the progress of the club's pursuit of Adams and I suspect he's a decent footballer, but I'm not actually convinced he's ideal as a Bamford backup / replacement (if that's what's intended).

my recollection of the guy is that he's short [and squat] & speedy, i'd say quite a different player to bamford. i doubt he's any good at all in the air, & have no idea if he can play with his back to goal etc.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:59 pm

I'm pretty sure he's decent at both holding the ball up and dropping deep, two things which Bamford is good at and Nketiah wasn't.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:I'm pretty sure he's decent at both holding the ball up and dropping deep, two things which Bamford is good at and Nketiah wasn't.

his wikipedia page describes him as a "forward, midfielder", but my [likely sketchy/possibly imagined] recollection from seeing him against us was that he looked more or less as 'out & out' as a striker can be these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A9_Adams

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 pm

As others have mentioned, if Watford could be persuaded to loan/sell Andre Gray, he might be a good bet. His goalscoring record of 32 in 73 games for Burnley was impressive and included a premier league hat-trick. It's hard to imagine how bad a side must be to ever allow Patrick to score a hat-trick.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:It's hard to imagine how bad a side must be to ever allow Patrick to score a hat-trick.

:D

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm

Bobbycollins wrote: It's hard to imagine how bad a side must be to ever allow Patrick to score a hat-trick.

Being pernickety, I would say that Bamford's problem is rarely defeating the opposition. He's absolutely brilliant at holding the ball up, beating defences, getting in behind etc.

It's just that bit at the end, involving directing the ball accurately into that netty thing, past the posty things, that he seems to struggle with.
Member of a clique

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:It's hard to imagine how bad a side must be to ever allow Patrick to score a hat-trick.

:D

leeds united, the 2017/18 vintage.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Dallas at left back. Full backs on the wrong side generally are not something I like but I think we have other areas which need sorting first. I would personally have Dallas in front of ayling.

Of the experienced full back options think Alioski is better than Douglas who doesn't seem up to the physical requirements of bielsa's team. I do wonder if his season at wolves was like Billy paynters one decent season at Swindon.

But wouldn't be against giving Davis a chance.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Mr Reality wrote:Dallas at left back. Full backs on the wrong side generally are not something I like but I think we have other areas which need sorting first. I would personally have Dallas in front of ayling.

Of the experienced full back options think Alioski is better than Douglas who doesn't seem up to the physical requirements of bielsa's team. I do wonder if his season at wolves was like Billy paynters one decent season at Swindon.

Not a bad idea, I think Douglas isnt very athletic for a professional footballer and he's been found out. That's why Wolves sold him.

On Dallas/ayling... You could play Dallas at RB, Ayling at CH, move White into midfield. Sell Kalvin, buy a couple of really good attackers and win the league...

Just a thought.....

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:44 pm

I STILL haven’t seen anything from Douglas, and I’m surprised he got in the team. Alioski or Davis for me

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Sell the best holding player in the division and play a CB out of position in his place. Inspired.

I don't see any real problems with Douglas, he was doing far better Vs Sheff Wed than Alioski did. I'd like to see more of Davis too but both Dallas and Alioski are good enough. We don't need another left back.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Sell the best holding player in the division and play a CB out of position in his place. Inspired.

I don't see any real problems with Douglas, he was doing far better Vs Sheff Wed than Alioski did. I'd like to see more of Davis too but both Dallas and Alioski are good enough. We don't need another left back.

If KPs market value is circa £25m then this means that “proper football people” think he’s a VERY good player. We also think he is a VERY good player. Now Yeboah normally drones on about how “your typical football/Leeds fan” doesn't understand the realities of the game and what attributes make a player.

Here he argues against his stated mantra, against pros, supporters, and indeed practically everybody.

Some may say he’s s hypocrite
Some may say he’s a troll,
But the truth is he’s just not that bright really. Shame that.

I wouldn’t bother putting him straight or explaining that White is only now reaching his former levels since playing in midfield for KP last time, he will have trouble grasping it

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Yeboah wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Dallas at left back. Full backs on the wrong side generally are not something I like but I think we have other areas which need sorting first. I would personally have Dallas in front of ayling.

Not a bad idea, I think Douglas isnt very athletic for a professional footballer and he's been found out. That's why Wolves sold him.

On Dallas/ayling... You could play Dallas at RB, Ayling at CH, move White into midfield. Sell Kalvin, buy a couple of really good attackers and win the league...

Just a thought.....

Disagree.

White wasn't at his best against Huddersfield when he played there.

Plus wouldn't trust ayling to play full time at centre back. Like berardi an ok cover option for the odd game not a starter for any period of time.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 am

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:17 am

Looks like we may have spoilt young Eddie, nothing else compares!
Andymac

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:06 am

Yeboah wrote:

Completely meaningless when we’ve committed £15 million for Costa. Wages are a far more important metric for evaluating football spending anyway.

Return to “The Square Ball”