Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Quiffy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Kinda like Colombian reggae, a bit.

Check out Will Holland/Quantic's crossover stuff and DJ sets full of old Colombian dudes.

aha. so it wasn't a typo. ta.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:18 am

Gonna spend 11 nights in Florida in February as a guest of Joe and Beth, quite looking forward to it.
I quite like their version of this Etta James classic and they've promised to play it for me on one of their 3 nights there.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:23 am

Ah well. I suppose that makes up for being in FL.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Quiffy wrote:aha. so it wasn't a typo. ta.

It's a form of South American folk music that ties in various strands from African, Indigenous and European culture. The first few times I saw them I thought they might be Spanish but having finally plucked up the courage to talk to them recently it turns out that they are variously Australian, English, Uruguayan and Swedish (which is oddly perfect given the weird melting pot that is London). Initially they were a trio of guitar/keys but they eventually added a really good rhythm section (an improbably tall and impressively bashingier version of Kat from The Ex and a bassist who at times looks and plays so much like 'Stop Making Sense' era Tina Weymouth that it is genuinely disconcerting). It's become my go-to 'oh no someone else is in my car what music can I play that is not Scott Walker' music and virtually everyone thus far has said something positive.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:46 am

Tommy wrote: a bassist who at times looks and plays so much like 'Stop Making Sense' era Tina Weymouth that it is genuinely disconcerting)

I followed a youtube trail for los bitchos and ended up with various Stop Making Sense vids :D
I had a thing for Tina from the first time i was stood right in front of her at the Greyhound - oh so many years ago.
Some Talking Heads is like this - because David Byrne would use anything he wanted. :thumbl:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 am

Cumbia exists as a category on NTS, if that helps. Along a ton of weird African niches I’ve not heard of either.
HM Collector Of Parcels

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:29 am

Eddies Boots wrote:I had a thing for Tina from the first time i was stood right in front of her at the Greyhound - oh so many years ago.

I saw Tom Tom Club at Borderline a very long time ago too, and was similarly entranced.
HM Collector Of Parcels

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:43 pm

I’ve got into Mongolian throat music
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:59 am

These guys must be your mates, Vamps:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:48 am

dirty leeds wrote:These guys must be your mates, Vamps:

Ha ha - like I said Melbourne is the musical snobs capital of God’s Own Country.

“The stuff we’re doing - it’s like humans becoming cyborgs.” Pretentiousness of Oaf-like proportions!

Personally, I’d rather have teeth pulled than listen to jazz!

Edit - I’m currently watching Sydney Thunder v Melbourne Renegades in the big bash - if I wasn’t partisan before it started (Sydney Sixers are my team) I am now after watching that vid!
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:52 am

Knew you'd like it. Musicians do often talk bollocks. They make up for it in other ways.
What shall you be drinking with the turkey this year?
I'm going Southern Rhone, Rioja Reserva and [at the request of my mother-in-law, who loves Italian wine] now searching for an appropriate splash therefrom. [Starting with a Cremant du Jura and winding up with Tokaji.]
The Aussies will have to wait for Boxing Day.
Switch threads, if you like.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:59 am

dirty leeds wrote:Knew you'd like it. Musicians do often talk bollocks. They make up for it in other ways.
I'm going Southern Rhone, Rioja Reserva and [at the request of my mother-in-law, who loves Italian wine] now searching for an appropriate splash therefrom. [Starting with a Cremant du Jura and winding up with Tokaji.]

We always have champagne with the Xmas turkey. A lot of Aussies go for shell fish or cold meats but we like Turkey (probably a legacy of those cold Xmases I spent in the UK.

When it comes to European reds I think Rioja still stands up - but go for a gran reserva rather than reserva - it is Xmas. Tokaji Azu? Yeah - hate sweet whites but I do have a nostalgia for that one - you may recall I offered it to Jonathan Harker in Transylvania when he visited me to act as solicitor fo those properties I bought in London!
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:37 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Knew you'd like it. Musicians do often talk bollocks. They make up for it in other ways.

In terms of Italian wines I'm a big fan of the Amarone Valpolicella from the Sainsbury's taste the difference range. About 17 quid a bottle.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:In terms of Italian wines I'm a big fan of the Amarone Valpolicella from the Sainsbury's taste the difference range. About 17 quid a bottle.

Noted, ta.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:00 pm

Is it wrong that I quite liked that?

I dabbled with a bit of Charlie mingus 20 years ago but it never stuck and am feeling a bit bored with my latest purchases. Anything of that ilk I could download?
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Quiffy wrote:

Is it wrong that I quite liked that?

I dabbled with a bit of Charlie mingus 20 years ago but it never stuck and am feeling a bit bored with my latest purchases. Anything of that ilk I could download?

You should buy it and support the artists, you cheap fucker. :D
On the other hand... go to Spotify and try 30/70 [a band] or Allysha Joy [their lead singer, who's made a good solo album], and also that album the doc's based on, Sunny Side Up, a Various Artists comp of Melbourne stuff. It's not all amazing but, as the doc suggests, their hits are interesting an their misses understandable on a developing scene.
If you like it, there are loads of nearby rabbit holes to fall down... and I can give you a push.
It's not really jazzy jazz, more a mix of styles - inc jazz, soul, neo-soul, broken beat etc etc.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:52 pm

Oh, and ignore Vamps on music. Wine is his thing... and economics and cricket. Otherwise... :mrgreen:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Of a jazzy jazz nature, Branford Marsalis's album this year was very good.
My fave album of 2019 was Vivian Sessoms' Life 2, which soul-jazz or jazzy soul. Or some such.

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:41 pm

welshwhite wrote:Gonna spend 11 nights in Florida in February as a guest of Joe and Beth, quite looking forward to it.
I quite like their version of this Etta James classic and they've promised to play it for me on one of their 3 nights there.

I assume this is a wind up, but just in case: the FL:Bahamas cruise? Buddy Guy on board, and Reese Wynans will be well worth a watch as a band leader too

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:32 am

It's a cruise. Three days in all concerts will be cancelled as everyone will be lying in their metal cans firing weak clouds of brown mist out of their hoops.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”