The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Bobbycollins

Re: The creekit

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am

Devi wrote:So are you saying test players should play more county cricket?
Is that they don’t down to the players, counties, ECB or ICC?

(I think they should too btw)

The main problem with cricket is that I'm getting old. I don't enjoy T20, I don't enjoy shivering on a cold evening at Headingley watching a day/night thrash and I don't enjoy Yorkshire cricket being terrible.

As regards Test cricket, I think there are too many matches, partly due to the international championship that no one knows or cares about. At one time players used to go abroad to play on pitches and in conditions that differed from home, however the current fashion is for players to join a T20 circus in whichever country they can find a contract and merely heave a white ball into the stands.

I agree with the idea of reducing the number of County Championship sides, especially as half are probably in financial trouble but as the public generally have a low attention span and the County Championship is given so little attention from either TV or the ECB, I'm not sure about a solution.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Absolutely bonkers not picking Sam Curran until now. I suspect he’d have changed the result of one of these matches at least. Would love to know the reasoning behind it considering how good he was for England last year.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Tommy wrote:Absolutely bonkers not picking Sam Curran until now. I suspect he’d have changed the result of one of these matches at least. Would love to know the reasoning behind it considering how good he was for England last year.

Was strange to not pick him in the world cup games either.

He has a very good habit of making things happen and swings the ball.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Nice to see Smith get a proper round of applause today.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Nice to see Smith get a proper round of applause today.

Serfisticated, yer Sarf Lahndan, innit.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:45 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Nice to see Smith get a proper round of applause today.

Serfisticated, yer Sarf Lahndan, innit.

:D

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 pm

rss1969 wrote:
Tommy wrote:Absolutely bonkers not picking Sam Curran until now. I suspect he’d have changed the result of one of these matches at least. Would love to know the reasoning behind it considering how good he was for England last year.

It was his brother Tom in the WC squad and never played.
But we won, so all good. :lol:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Big, big short session coming up. Six down inside an hour?

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:56 pm

The Aussies have a better bowling unit, the difference in the batting has been Smith. I'm sure I will be corrected......
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
rss1969 wrote:

It was his brother Tom in the WC squad and never played.
But we won, so all good. :lol:

I stand corrected!

Sam has done well in tests over the last 12-18 months though if memory serves me well and it is strange that Overton got in ahead of him.

We need a bit of a rebuild with younger players coming in throughout the team.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:48 pm

metalsmurf wrote:The Aussies have a better bowling unit, the difference in the batting has been Smith. I'm sure I will be corrected......

Aussie batting other than Smith has been shocking. Labuschagne was a massive bonus ball that they got lucky with but he has not posted a big score still.

The rest of them must have the worst collective batting average of any winning ashes team in history................and yeah we will both be corrected..........

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 am

England team going forward.

Burns
Bairstow
Root
Leach
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Curran
Woakes
Archer
Broad.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:15 am

I'm not sure about Foakes, who is only averaging something like high 20s in the County Championship and Bairstow thrives on being totally involved, i.e. needs to keep the gloves. However Bairstow needs to improve his technique against the new ball before being considered as an opener. Leach at 4 would be silly, assuming the openers have done their job, as 4,5 and 6 should be taking the game away from the opposition by batting long whilst amassing high scores. As regards Woakes, I think he should stick to ODIs. Have you forgotten about Mark Wood? (admitedly he is the cricket equivalent of Andy Carroll).

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:26 am

Not silly re Leach, responsibility seems to bring the best out of him and i really feel he has potential to throw a big innings in, options Vince and Denly don't exactly set the world on fire. Cue Denly century today.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 am

Lots of folk on social media outraged about the Cons retaining the Ashes but I reckon it’ll finish 2-2 and if even one toss had gone the other way England would have won it, regardless of Smith’s brilliance. Likewise if we’d used Curran before this match. I don’t think it needs the total overhaul that some are making out. This looked like a bit of a WC hangover in a transitional year and nowt more.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 am

50 opening partnership before the collapse? Madness.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:17 am

eric olthwaite wrote:50 opening partnership before the collapse? Madness.

Until this morning, the highest opening partnership of the summer was the Irish pair in the one off test...

:shock:
I like it. What is it?

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Tommy wrote:Lots of folk on social media outraged about the Cons retaining the Ashes but I reckon it’ll finish 2-2 and if even one toss had gone the other way England would have won it, regardless of Smith’s brilliance. Likewise if we’d used Curran before this match. I don’t think it needs the total overhaul that some are making out. This looked like a bit of a WC hangover in a transitional year and nowt more.

I can't see a total overhaul, mainly due to the lack of suitable batsmen. County Champioship division 1 batting averages are dominated by batsmen who have played a handful of games, however of those with 10 or more games, Gary Ballance would be third in the averages, Alastair Cook 5th and Adam Lyth 6th - none of those 3 will be picked for England.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 am

Devi’s there today, right?

Don’t fuck it up chap.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:51 am

Positive development

Return to “The Square Ball”