Devi

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Devi » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Never a pen.
I like it. What is it?

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Think it was. And would of been with the new rule change for next season.

Also won me 50 quid ha

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:24 am

It really seems to have upset The Zlatan, so there's always a positive aspect.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 am

Found myself willing it to be a pen as the VAR review was taking place, just for the drama. [Unlike many others, I'm fairly indifferent to what happens to Man U, unless they're playing us.] It was a very strict interpretation of the supposedly approved rule about 'making yourself bigger' by use of arms, but I suppose he did that. Just about.
Going forward, I don't think defenders should have to tuck in their arms behind their back: that's just silly. But where does using your arms for balance in a 'normal' pose end and where does being a bit careless as to how far your arms stick out begin? Players won't help themselves because they always seek to bend the rules to breaking point on any issue - ergo onlookers assume they are doing it 'accidentally on purpose' even when they maybe weren't.
Meh. It wasn't Pontus, so I don't care.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am

dirty leeds wrote:Found myself willing it to be a pen as the VAR review was taking place, just for the drama. [Unlike many others, I'm fairly indifferent to what happens to Man U, unless they're playing us.] It was a very strict interpretation of the supposedly approved rule about 'making yourself bigger' by use of arms, but I suppose he did that. Just about.
Going forward, I don't think defenders should have to tuck in their arms behind their back: that's just silly. But where does using your arms for balance in a 'normal' pose end and where does being a bit careless as to how far your arms stick out begin? Players won't help themselves because they always seek to bend the rules to breaking point on any issue - ergo onlookers assume they are doing it 'accidentally on purpose' even when they maybe weren't.
Meh. It wasn't Pontus, so I don't care.

This in spades for me. I loved the drama of it. I loved how PSG didn’t know how to game manage (at 3-2 they were always vulnerable to a stroke of Brilliance/luck/misfortune) because beating every shit team in France 50-5 (the aggregate score of their home league games this season) doesn’t prepare you for a close BAROMETER knock out.

For me it was a penalty, when you jump at the ball with your back to the shooter, there is always a risk.

Interestingly I don’t hate scum that much either. I’ve generally had decent banter with their fans over the years and growing up in the 1980s the glory hunting pricks at my primary school all supported Liverpool. Now the scousers I truely hate...

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am

:shock:
I like it. What is it?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm

The handball rule is one of a few which needs a rewrite in the name of simplicity in my view (or maybe it's already well documented but pundits are ignorant fuckers?).

There's too much interpretation involved with intent. As the rule stands I'm pretty convinced that wasn't a penalty, he wasn't even looking (criminal in itself) and the arm in that position is the only way to make that jump other than an outstretched arm which would 100% be interpreted as deliberate.

On the flip side, there's every chance that shot was top corner bound and a clear advantage was gained through use of the arm. It should be a penalty. For me that should be the basis of the rule (nuance needed for strikers intentionally lifting the ball onto an arm at point blank range and claiming they were clean through if not for the hand).

Tommy

The BAROMETER

Postby Tommy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Given that UEFA reportedly introduced a guideline stating that officials should ignore intent and concentrate on whether an arm is in an unnatural position, there is a genuine possibility that football could become a contest between two teams to see who can kick the ball at an opposing player’s arm in the area.

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 pm

i was under the impression intent had nothing to do with it.
IMO i feel that if the ball hits the arm when it is away from the trunk of your body and direction is altered then it is handball and should be a free kick or penalty.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 am

Juventus spent all that cash for an 8th (?) consecutive Serie A borefest :lol: :lol: :lol:

could not have happened to a nicer guy :roll:

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am

The footballing world just seems right with a competitive Ajax team in it. Shame it looks like they’ll be picked apart again in the summer
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:13 am

MightyWhite wrote:The footballing world just seems right with a competitive Ajax team in it. Shame it looks like they’ll be picked apart again in the summer

Indeed. Just waiting for the resurgence of Lokomotiv Dresden and Traktor Stalingrad and my childhood memories would be happily complete.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:The footballing world just seems right with a competitive Ajax team in it. Shame it looks like they’ll be picked apart again in the summer

Indeed. Just waiting for the resurgence of Lokomotiv Dresden and Traktor Stalingrad and my childhood memories would be happily complete.

All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit...
I like it. What is it?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:02 am

Devi wrote:https://twitter.com/garylineker/status/1103409980496056320?s=21

:shock:

two yellows, probably the right decision?

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 am

Only if the yellow for that second offence isn't entirely laughable.
I like it. What is it?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:47 pm

I for one like Ronaldo, scum have not been the same since he fucked off from them.

It must have really hurt their fans watching him score freely for someone else.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Jus watched the city v spurs game. Mental. No other way to describe it.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Absolutely stonking game that
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:Juventus spent all that cash for an 8th (?) consecutive Serie A borefest :lol: :lol: :lol:
:

Man City spent even more and got no further - despite being managed by the messiah....

Return to “The Square Ball”