o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
AndyPaul

Re: o/t car advice

Postby AndyPaul » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Anyone driven a vw scirocco. Looking at a 2010 1.4 petrol. Thoughts

I had a debate about these the other day. I feel they are a bit of a girls car but others had different opinions

Never drove one but VW so can’t be bad

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Anyone driven a vw scirocco. Looking at a 2010 1.4 petrol. Thoughts

Not driven one, but just a Golf with a lowered roof innit? 1.4 sounds underpowered.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:51 am

It's 122 bhp apparently, which is plenty I'd hope. Just want something fun to drive. Not that it bears any relation but in the 80s I had the old mark2 Scirocco version and it cornered like it was on rails. The thing Just stuck to the road whatever you did. Just as well bearing in mind the brakes were awful.

One concern I have is that it sits quite low on the road and every other car is a whacking great SUV I won't see much in front

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:57 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:It's 122 bhp apparently, which is plenty I'd hope. Just want something fun to drive. Not that it bears any relation but in the 80s I had the old mark2 Scirocco version and it cornered like it was on rails. The thing Just stuck to the road whatever you did. Just as well bearing in mind the brakes were awful.

One concern I have is that it sits quite low on the road and every other car is a whacking great SUV I won't see much in front

Get the 2.0 TD 170bhp. That’s fucking fun to drive.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:46 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:One concern I have is that it sits quite low on the road and every other car is a whacking great SUV I won't see much in front

Wouldn't worry about that so long as your driving style is not "trying to put the bumper on their back seat".

122bhp doesn't sound like plenty to me... Ponte's choice sounds more like it even if it is a Dirty VW Diesel... new emissions MOT tests, remember.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:21 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:One concern I have is that it sits quite low on the road and every other car is a whacking great SUV I won't see much in front

Wouldn't worry about that so long as your driving style is not "trying to put the bumper on their back seat".

122bhp doesn't sound like plenty to me... Ponte's choice sounds more like it even if it is a Dirty VW Diesel... new emissions MOT tests, remember.

TBH the thing that’s a bitch about low-ish cars is looking into the headlights of HGVs / SUVs after dark. But I tend to roll with ‘fuck it, I’d rather have cornering’

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:37 am

And cornering without rolling, even better..
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

ChairmanMeaow

Postby ChairmanMeaow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:51 pm

I had a 2.0 TSI as a company car for 4 years.

It was fucking wonderful.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 am

i'm looking at a new [used] car within the next probably few months. i wondered about diesel models given the recent law changes, which i completely ignored as irrelevant to you... is it a case of:

a) don't worry at all about the very newest diesel cars, which are unaffected?
b) should worry about/pretty much avoid all diesel cars?
c) a more nuanced picture, need to do some proper research?

thks.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 am

Regardless of the legal position I’ve decided I can’t in clear conscience drive a diesel again. It seems clear that we’re only just beginning to understand the harm done. Setting that aside presumably you must be inside the ULEZ which comes in next year?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Regardless of the legal position I’ve decided I can’t in clear conscience drive a diesel again. It seems clear that we’re only just beginning to understand the harm done. Setting that aside presumably you must be inside the ULEZ which comes in next year?

Yeah, b.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Just bought Mrs Andymac a nice wee Seat Ibiza Toca. It's brilliant.
Andymac

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 pm

I got the Scirocco a couple of weeks ago. Can't get the big joyous smile off my face ever since

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:51 am

Probably picking up a new mot-aaah tonight and driving it a fair way home. I can sort the insurance before I collect but, for the journey home, I won't be taxed and cannot be arsed trying to fanny around with setting it up on a website on my phone.

So if I drive past a shit ton of ANPR cameras en route and it comes up as untaxed, is there any realistic probability of getting done? Surely there would be some leeway in that instance, as long as I pay next day and backdate it?

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 am

If you can get the 12 digit ref number on the V5 and know the reg plate, you can do it online...

(e2a - its a basic, mobile friendly website...)

You'll lose 5 minutes of TSB posting time, but render ANPR the futility it is, no?
I like it. What is it?

topbin

Postby topbin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:37 pm

So... does anyone have any ideas about car stereos? Effectively I have a pretty old Honda Civic and want to get the radio Bluetooth and (maybe) DAB enabled. We’ve been cabling up to the phone for the last few years but the number of bits to enable this (got something put in to give a cabled 30-pin adaptor for iPhones, then a separate 30-pin extension, then a 30-pin to Lightning adaptor) and, well, smashed 2/3 of this up in the car door by accident in the Aldi car park.

Any ideas?!

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:59 pm

topbin wrote:So... does anyone have any ideas about car stereos? Effectively I have a pretty old Honda Civic and want to get the radio Bluetooth and (maybe) DAB enabled. We’ve been cabling up to the phone for the last few years but the number of bits to enable this (got something put in to give a cabled 30-pin adaptor for iPhones, then a separate 30-pin extension, then a 30-pin to Lightning adaptor) and, well, smashed 2/3 of this up in the car door by accident in the Aldi car park.

Any ideas?!

Not sure I fully understand the question but if you're talking about not replacing the unit then I guess something like this?? https://m.gearbest.com/cables-connector ... 9UQAvD_BwE

topbin

Postby topbin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Yeah one thing I forgot to mention - I don’t have an aux out on the radio... (I do have one of those gadgets you linked to for the caravan which has a battery life of 25-30 mins...)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Can’t think where else to post this but a fairly nasty accident happened 50 yards in front of us, on the way up north on the A1 on Friday.

Dual carriageway, we’re in the outside lane a couple of cars behind an artic, moving slowly past a line of cars on the inside. This artic had pulled out to overtake someone and had then got stuck as we started to go uphill. Front of the line of cars in the slow lane, a little way ahead, was something small - Polo I think.

The artic started indicating to pull back in and it was one of those slow motion things where you can’t quite believe what’s about to happen. I could tell there wasn’t nearly enough space behind the Polo; the truck hit it just behind the back door and spun it so it was across the front of the cab and pushed it sideways maybe 30 yards down the road. I couldn’t understand why it didn’t stop. Eventually the car spun right round facing backwards and the truck carried on. I had to swerve around the car and went after the truck to get his number (Mrs O rang the cops) but he eventually pulled into a lay-by about 100 yards up.

The moral of the story is that whole thing you hear about truck drivers not being able to see right in front of them is terrifying. If you get overtaken by a truck and you see the fucker indicating, put your foot down as quick as you can.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:54 pm

If you get overtaken by a truck who then indicates to pull back in, wouldn't All Anchors be a better response?

Return to “The Square Ball”