Worst Leeds Manager

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side

Who is the worst Leeds manager in recent history?

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2018 4:10 pm

Paul Heckingbottom
38%
Dave Hockaday
35%
Steve Evans
3%
Peter Reid
3%
Allan Clarke
No votes
Neil Warnock
6%
Kevin Blackwell
6%
Brian McDermott
6%
Darko Milanic
3%
Uwe Rosler
No votes

Total votes: 34

AmarinderBedi

Worst Leeds Manager

Postby AmarinderBedi » Tue May 01, 2018 4:10 pm

I have been vocal in my protest from day 1 against the appointment of Heckingbottom. A poor CV and no track record outside of the lower Divisions reeked of a totally uninspired appointment. I take no pleasure whatsoever in being proved right - Heckingbottom has the worst win percentage in the history of Leeds' managers who have been given at least 10 games. It got me thinking was he the worst appointment in my time supporting Leeds? Unfortunately I don't remember the Revie days, but do remember relegation under Clarke and the Glory Days of Wilkinson and the many dubious appointments from the 1980s onwards.

I have selected the "Bottom 10" in my opinion - possibly unfair to include Milanic and Hockaday due to the so few games they had. In casting my vote I have tried to balance all relevant factors.

I'll be very interested to take the pulse of the Board on this topic!

AB

Tommy

Re: Worst Leeds Manager

Postby Tommy » Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Evans and Warnock are the standout candidates and I'll give it to the former because of the stuff that he did prior to getting the job. None of the others listed come close.

No Clough?

BC

Postby BC » Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 pm

It is, by far, the Hock.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue May 01, 2018 7:01 pm

BC wrote:It is, by far, the Hock.

This. Warnock and Evans are cunts but both are far more qualified than Hock Heck Milanic.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Tue May 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Any since Grayson have a decent shout bar monk and redfearn.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 01, 2018 7:47 pm

:thumbl:

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 pm

the flying pig wrote:Image

:thumbl: :thumbl:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 01, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm disappointed there's not an option to vote for them all.

WW

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 pm

i'm just voting for the one i hated most; his human qualities, or lack of, must have meant he was incapable of managing players. he could manage to make me vomit by talking to me for 5 minutes. kevin blackwell. what a wanker.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm

AmarinderBedi wrote:I take no pleasure whatsoever in being proved right

Are you related to anyone else on here?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 pm

Blackwell was heinous

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed May 02, 2018 5:12 am

Forget about the managers, theyre irrelevant, even IF that list is depressing, as much for its length as who’s on it. Its the cunts that appointed them who are the problem.

I wonder how many millions it’s cost to get rid of the folks on that list?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed May 02, 2018 6:36 am

Ontolly wrote:
the flying pig wrote:Image

:thumbl: :thumbl:

:thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 02, 2018 6:37 am

I think it was unfair to see Alan Clarke on there. It's a recent list.

I voted for my old mate Brian McDermott.

Full of hot air and wasted millions on rubbish.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 am

If TC was still here he'd be winning this poll. Blaming managers is the easy thing to do but they're all much of a muchness compared to how the club is being run at large.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Wed May 02, 2018 2:44 pm

For me the two stand outs are Heck and Hock . Warnock was and is just a pure cunt , but like Clough has proven himself elsewhere ( though to a much lesser degree - no way is Warnock on par with Clough as a manager ) ...... Cloughie was just wrong place , wrong time . Given time he could have been a huge success , say if he had been appointed after Jock Stein or there abouts , not directly after Revie .
Some of the managers on the list probably don't deserve to be on there , probably 3 stand out candidates - Heck Hock and Darko , and two of them didn't get time to prove they were crap , Heck has had time and grasped the initiative in the crap stakes with both hands ...all the rest seemed to have some sort of win percentage that bordered on at least just below average , Heck could be the modern Alan Ball ( even he probably wasn't as bad as I remember as a manager .....must look it up - make mental note ) . Odd that TC isn't on the list all things considered , though myself I don't think he was as bad as made out - the discipline thing maybe was the biggest bugbear and contributed to a fair proportion of defeats and dissatisfaction . O'Leary can't seriously be considered , he was an arse of course - but Leeds finished 4th & 5th under him or thereabouts ....before meltdown , two European semi's etc etc . Funnily I was thinking " who was /is Brian McDermott " , now it all comes back ...the slap head ... a lot of those managers round then were Ken Bates-ed , any manager of that era was super handicapped by Ken Bates ( or GFH ) . Sadly Gary McAllister could be on the list more reasonably than some of those on the list , I say sadly as he was such a great player for the club , but my over riding memory of him is in that FA cup defeat to Histon , disappearing inside his coat as he hadn't a clue what to do , then it was Ken Bates era and shitty has been players time .
So my overall vote HAS to go to the current incumbent ( or incompetent ) Heckingbum . Its not like the form he brings is new , its the exact same as at Barnsley when he was there .

BC

Postby BC » Wed May 02, 2018 3:13 pm

All of the options are actually football managers/coaches, to a greater or lesser (mostly lesser) extent. Hockaday is absolutely not.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Christiansen by a mile, if Orta is to be believed this entire shambles of a squad is down to him

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Clacton white wrote:For me the two stand outs are Heck and Hock . Warnock was and is just a pure cunt , but like Clough has proven himself elsewhere ( though to a much lesser degree - no way is Warnock on par with Clough as a manager ) ...... Cloughie was just wrong place , wrong time . Given time he could have been a huge success , say if he had been appointed after Jock Stein or there abouts , not directly after Revie .
Some of the managers on the list probably don't deserve to be on there , probably 3 stand out candidates - Heck Hock and Darko , and two of them didn't get time to prove they were crap , Heck has had time and grasped the initiative in the crap stakes with both hands ...all the rest seemed to have some sort of win percentage that bordered on at least just below average , Heck could be the modern Alan Ball ( even he probably wasn't as bad as I remember as a manager .....must look it up - make mental note ) . Odd that TC isn't on the list all things considered , though myself I don't think he was as bad as made out - the discipline thing maybe was the biggest bugbear and contributed to a fair proportion of defeats and dissatisfaction . O'Leary can't seriously be considered , he was an arse of course - but Leeds finished 4th & 5th under him or thereabouts ....before meltdown , two European semi's etc etc . Funnily I was thinking " who was /is Brian McDermott " , now it all comes back ...the slap head ... a lot of those managers round then were Ken Bates-ed , any manager of that era was super handicapped by Ken Bates ( or GFH ) . Sadly Gary McAllister could be on the list more reasonably than some of those on the list , I say sadly as he was such a great player for the club , but my over riding memory of him is in that FA cup defeat to Histon , disappearing inside his coat as he hadn't a clue what to do , then it was Ken Bates era and shitty has been players time .
So my overall vote HAS to go to the current incumbent ( or incompetent ) Heckingbum . Its not like the form he brings is new , its the exact same as at Barnsley when he was there .

gary mac is a very defensible choice imo. pretty much every manager we've had in the last 15 yrs has financially had his hands badly tied but that was never really true in league one, to, in december, be so horribly midtable, as we were when macca was sacked, with a squad that included beckford, snodgrass, becchio, etc, & with a young fab delph tearing it up was more or less disgraceful.

Ballgirl

Postby Ballgirl » Wed May 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Clacton white wrote:For me the two stand outs are Heck and Hock . Warnock was and is just a pure cunt , but like Clough has proven himself elsewhere ( though to a much lesser degree - no way is Warnock on par with Clough as a manager ) ...... Cloughie was just wrong place , wrong time . Given time he could have been a huge success , say if he had been appointed after Jock Stein or there abouts , not directly after Revie .

Good post - and is a reasonable summary of my view. You really can't include Warnock, Clough or O'Leary for the reasons stated. Gary Mc had a 50% win ratio and Christiansen 45%, so I wouldn't put them in the same (Dunce's) league as the 3 candidates Clacton highlights. And for having had more time to "prove himself" than Darko or Hock, for having no positive impact on ... well anything ... and the great point about him simply extending his Barnsley form to Leeds - it has to Heckingbottom. :thumbd: :thumbd:
Prediction League Champion 2015-16

Return to “The Square Ball”