The Olympics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
topbin

The Olympics

Postby topbin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 am

Pah - I went to school with 'Dick' from 'Dick and Dom in Da Bungalow' fame; stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Man Called Sun

Re: The Olympics

Postby Man Called Sun » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:46 am

topbin wrote:Pah - I went to school with 'Dick' from 'Dick and Dom in Da Bungalow' fame; stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Yeah well fuck that, I went to school with multiple Squareball Death Master proud to be leeds. I win!
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:13 am

Arnieb wrote:Local lass Ruth Beitia wins Gold in the High Jump.... at the age of 37! :shock: :salute:

Oh look at her. if we are playing the "vicarious olympics" then I went to the same school as the Brownlees! When they won in 2012, Look North interviewed a couple of my old teachers who had taught them - especially the cross country psycho. Adrian Moorhouse is another former pupil, so since 1988 my school has 3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze.

My sons attend the same school as Nicola White who plays hockey for team GB and scored the 3rd goal that took the final into the shoot out. The principal has been tweeted about this endlessly all weekend!

Living in Oldham I reckon there may be some one on our area who cycles for team GB as well as we are only 6 miles from the Manchester velodrome.

OK you win.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Just having that pissed conversation where you invent new Olympic sports.

We reckon synchronised horse-dive javelin. Two teams of four gallop towards the pool and lob javelins at each other once the horse is airborne over the pool. If no-one dies, it's decided on artistic merit.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:27 am

And if someone dies? Or a horse dies? Or an umpire dies? Or equal body-count on both sides? Or near-death, but you have to wait to see how surgery goes?
I don't think you were drunk enough to think this one through, mate.

But still better than the one we were mulling over - javelin team pursuit - speaks for itself. However, while it has a similar particpant/death ratio, it is limited to 2 sports.
We were more focused on the Govt justifying the funding for the latest cycling event.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:57 am

We eventually settled on canoe taekwondo. You have to twat the other person in the head with the nose of your canoe. Dunno quite how you manage to flick it up out the water but well, that's what makes it an Olympic sport.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Look, ok, I do have complete respect for the massive personal achievements in the Paralympics. Brilliant and all that.

But horse dancing with cerebral palsy? Honestly, how can you keep a straight face?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Bit disrespectful to horses with a touch of palsy innit?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Yeah, I only really like the one legged sprinters and possibly Hannah whatshername.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Blind footy's good though.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 pm

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:14 am

So Wiggins needs approval to take otherwise-illegal drugs in order to calm his allergies and asthma??
And the female US gymnast similarly needs approval to take a banned substance otherwise her ADHD (!!!) will get in the way of her being able concentrate/compete - WTF!!
What?? - surely if you are not physically able to perform the sport then you are like the rest of us and will not make a living at it.
Why not just put springs in your daughters shoes so that her fallen arches don't diminish her otherwise competition-level vaulting abilities.
So how much of this shit is a scam for tv advertising revenues?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:34 am

Eddies Boots wrote:So Wiggins needs approval to take otherwise-illegal drugs in order to calm his allergies and asthma??
And the female US gymnast similarly needs approval to take a banned substance otherwise her ADHD (!!!) will get in the way of her being able concentrate/compete - WTF!!
What?? - surely if you are not physically able to perform the sport then you are like the rest of us and will not make a living at it.
Why not just put springs in your daughters shoes so that her fallen arches don't diminish her otherwise competition-level vaulting abilities.
So how much of this shit is a scam for tv advertising revenues?

Every gold medal winner immediately comes under suspicion imo. Not saying they are all 100% at it, but y'know....
How did they beat all the fuckers who were doping? Cycling in particular has always been bent as a bottle of chips.
Must admit, the ADHD scam is a good 'un, raised a smile.
Big Pharma eh?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:55 am

Does anyone remember big bill werbernuik?

He used to take beta blockers and eventually got banned for it, and then switched to pool which hadn't adopted any anti-doping measures instead.

Mind you it was more remarkable that he could claim lager against his taxes as he somehow argued with hmrc that, he needed to get pissed to make his living. Apparently he used to drink between 40-50 pints of lager a day. A fucking day!!

Hats off (mind you he did die in his mid 50s.)

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:19 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:Does anyone remember big bill werbernuik?

He used to take beta blockers and eventually got banned for it, and then switched to pool which hadn't adopted any anti-doping measures instead.

Mind you it was more remarkable that he could claim lager against his taxes as he somehow argued with hmrc that, he needed to get pissed to make his living. Apparently he used to drink between 40-50 pints of lager a day. A fucking day!!

Wasn't Bill the subject of the famous line "he can't quite get his leg over like he used to"?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:43 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:...Apparently he used to drink between 40-50 pints of lager a day. A fucking day!!

Did very well to reach his thirties with that kind of consumption.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:23 am

From.Bill obituary in the Guardian. .

Werbeniuk suffered from hypoglaecaemia, a condition which enabled his body to burn off sugar and alcohol exceptionally quickly. He was thus able to cope with drinking at least six pints of lager before a match, a pint per frame during it, and a few sociable ones afterwards. But he ballooned out to 20 stone in weight because he he thought it the best way to control the pronounced tremor he developed in his cue arm as a result of the alcohol consumption.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon May 01, 2017 5:49 pm

don't think I like this much, absurdly bent as some of the old records may be (see for starters women's 100-800m inclusive, picture below is of a female middle distance runner, obviously), no small number are presumably clean?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/m ... -athletics

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:51 am

Bit daft for the crowd to be booing gatlin last night whilst also cheering no small number of confirmed (e.g. Johan Blake) and let's face it suspected (Farah) cheats. Also, Gatlin's first ban was for amphetamines which don't to me obviously seem performance enhancing.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 am

the flying pig wrote:Bit daft for the crowd to be booing gatlin last night whilst also cheering no small number of confirmed (e.g. Johan Blake) and let's face it suspected (Farah) cheats. Also, Gatlin's first ban was for amphetamines which don't to me obviously seem performance enhancing.

May I suggest you've only bought shit whiz?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”