The Olympics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: The Olympics

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:56 pm

I like the high jump and pole vault lasses, meself.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Heh, pole vault, dream on fella :mrgreen:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Sob.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:04 pm

I'd watch the volleyball too, but I have a wrist injury.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:29 am

I reckon I could organise a "proper" olympics in about a week.

1) Get rid of all silly events like breaststroke and backstroke. Swimming is simply Freestyle only over a number of distances. Individual and team races. Should take about 3 days max.
2) Track cycling - same thing - it should be a few races over a few distances and then in individual or team combo. What the hell is the point of that race where the little bloke goes round on a scooter?
3) Stop all "sports" (performing arts really) - which are subjective. Gymnastics looks fantastic (especially the ladies!!) but its not a sport - you don't go "faster, stronger, further", you simply prance better in someone's opinion. Any event which is set to music isn't a sport. Diving is the same.
4) Don't have in sports where a medal isn't that important to the competitors. Golfers get judged on majors not olympics. Andy Murray is usually introduced as either "2 time wimbledon champ" or "3 time Grand Slam winner".
5) Ban sports where drug taking is routine. We all know that most of the best weightlifters/athletes are those with the best pharmacists.

So I reckon a quick dash round the pool, cycle track, a few martial arts etc and thats your lot.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 am

the endless hilarity arising from straight-faced talk about the 'snatch' in weightlifting never, for me at least, gets old.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:58 pm

And jerk.
Don't forget to jerk.
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Arnieb wrote:2) Track cycling - same thing - it should be a few races over a few distances and then in individual or team combo. What the hell is the point of that race where the little bloke goes round on a scooter?

Fuckin' love Kierin, but that's just me. Still gutted they dropped the Madison, which is even dafter.

Arnieb wrote:3) Stop all "sports" (performing arts really) - which are subjective. Gymnastics looks fantastic (especially the ladies!!) but its not a sport - you don't go "faster, stronger, further", you simply prance better in someone's opinion. Any event which is set to music isn't a sport. Diving is the same.

Yeah, bit of a grey area for me, this. I get what you're saying but some of the disciplines like pommel horse, hoops etc it's a fairly objective scheme of more points for more difficult things and deductions if you don't get them right. But the strength on display in some of the male gym disciplines is insane, and they're (to my mind) close to perfect athleticism - ie they don't have weird bodies like cyclists or weightlifters because of an excessive focus on particular muscle groups.

Be fun if they expanded pentathlon to about 25 sports. Genuinely try to identify the ultimate all round athlete.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:31 pm

There should be a medal for running made up of 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, 5,000m, 10,000m and marathon.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Genuinely tense about the 4K team pursuit here. Bastard Beeb are over hyping it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:01 pm

Fucking race, that was.

MightyWhite

The Olympics

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:03 pm

I know fuck all about cycling but that was bloody impressive

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:22 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Fucking race, that was.

Cracking race that. Not generally interested in cycling but track is better than road and the 4k team pursuit is ace, wonder how many times young riders wipe out their teammate learning those changeovers. Not convinced by this individual pursuit nonsense, half like the possibility of the best rider being out foxed but it's pretty shit for the first 2 laps.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:54 pm

The Olympics are so great. I even found myself transfixed by the trampolining earlier much to my surprise.

Tell me something though, when and why did the asymmetric bar become uneven bars?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:The Olympics are so great. I even found myself transfixed by the trampolining earlier much to my surprise

Yeah, that moment when the Brit broke down as she realised she definitely had a medal was quite lovely.

Oheddieeddie wrote:Tell me something though, when and why did the asymmetric bar become uneven bars?

I dunno. Dunno when the wooden box you vault over became that weird Robocop gizmo either.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:19 am

Fuckin hate t'Olympics.
I'm knackered this morning cos I didn't get to bed til after 3.
Started watching the men's tennis, very entertaining, then the boxing came on, thought I'd watch a bit of that .... Finally managed to switch off the split arse weightlifting at 3:15.
Feel like shit and 'er indoors is bound to want to go to El Corte Ingles.
Life?
Don't talk to me about life.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:23 am

So many themes for so many threads Musta!

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:57 am

I enjoyed watching scantily clad women throwing themselves over bars last night.

I wan't watching the Olympics, was just out in Wakey.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:11 am

I have to draw the line at Tories on dancing horses though. Fuck that nonsense.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:13 am

I'm watching women's sprinting with an American woman called English Gardener.

Return to “The Square Ball”