The Olympics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: The Olympics

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Had a bit of a go at the last minute, went for 5 or 6 events, got nowhere. Not fussed really.

Vaguely thinking about going for the Paralympics, just to experience the experience, see the sights etc.

More bothered about what a bloody pain it'll be to get to work whilst they're on to be honest.

Billy Casper

Postby Billy Casper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 pm

The Paralympics is far more entertaining and you get your moneys worth out of the 100m
No Skuche ala Gats

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Had no interest in going down to London to pay stupid prices and be stuck in endless queue's to get to events. Having said that I will probably go to Millwall away in March.

I may have tried for a few events if the Olympics had been held further north but fuck going down to that London.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm

I got tickets for some quarter final boxing and the football final at Wembley but didn't get the athletics tickets I applied for. Will look to go to the British football games if I can get tickets but not massively bothered if I cant. We will at least experience some of the Olympic atmosphere. Paid top price for both events so probably spent £900 or so......
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:11 pm

SimonB wrote:Paid top price for both events so probably spent £900 or so......

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Ponte wrote:
SimonB wrote:Paid top price for both events so probably spent £900 or so......

Why aren't you spending that disposable income at Elland Road? If you want premiership football bla bla bla :bigsmurf:

You could get a season ticket in the Bremner suite, treat yourself to some corporate hospitality :bigsmurf:

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Why aren't you spending that disposable income at Elland Road? If you want premiership football bla bla bla :bigsmurf:

You could get a season ticket in the Bremner suite, treat yourself to some corporate hospitality :bigsmurf:

I spend enough of my disposable income at ER thank you very much :mrgreen: and I am not Anti Bates and as a season ticket holder he knows I exist lol
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:Just chatting to a woman at work who has spent about 2 grand on tickets for the London games. Anyone on here bothering?

I could quite fancy seeing Usain Bolt run the 100/200m, but for 10/20 seconds of entertainment it would make watching Leeds look like the bargain of the century.

I was interested in going along, but after the farce of the ticket applications decided not to. Gonna go to the Paralympics instead.

:wheels:

Finally a good excuse to use that smilie :lol:

Not gone for any tickets yet, but may apply for one or two of the footy matches if they go on general sale again. Not particularly fussed about watching Greece U23s but I suppose I will at least be able to say I went to the Olympics when they were here.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Disco Dan
Site Admin

The Olympics

Postby Disco Dan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Do they still do the Greco-Roman wrestling? Crikey, you've got to be comfortable with your sexuality doing that. At least in judo they keep their dressing gowns on before they get down to it.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Disco Dan wrote:judo

Fuck, fucking judo. My sister broke her collarbone doing judo when she was a kid; this news made my mother cry. So ever since judo hurt my sister and made my mum cry I've known that judo is a shit fucking sport for shit fucking cunts*.

*Excluding Harry Gration, because I admire his persistance in maintaining an ability to commentate Olympics-after-Olympics on a niche so-called sport no sane cunt gives a fuck about.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 pm

I had it in mind that they always introduced a new demonstration sport each Summer Olympics, but I get the impression that they don't really bother any more.

Shame.

They could have gone for summat contemporary like 'taking down a police helicopter with a laser-pen'. Or maybe motorbike racing at Brands but with all competitors having to drink 8 pints of wifebeater.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:31 pm

moscowhite wrote:
Disco Dan wrote:judo

Fuck, fucking judo. My sister broke her collarbone doing judo when she was a kid; this news made my mother cry. So ever since judo hurt my sister and made my mum cry I've known that judo is a shit fucking sport for shit fucking cunts*.

*Excluding Harry Gration, because I admire his persistance in maintaining an ability to commentate Olympics-after-Olympics on a niche so-called sport no sane cunt gives a fuck about.

Vladimir Putin likes judo.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

ellf

Postby ellf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:32 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I had it in mind that they always introduced a new demonstration sport each Summer Olympics, but I get the impression that they don't really bother any more.

Shame.

They could have gone for summat contemporary like 'taking down a police helicopter with a laser-pen'. Or maybe motorbike racing at Brands but with all competitors having to drink 8 pints of wifebeater.

yeah,that walk race thing on speed :bounce:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Just found out that the torch is going past the bottom of our road, but our local torch bearer is Eddie Kidd. It'll be there for fucking weeks.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Possibly this is just me, but all competitive swimming other than freestyle is bullshit, no?

You don't have 'football in Crocs' or 'rugby with one hand tied behind your back', so what the fuck are butterfly or breaststroke about?

It needs to just be 'fastest self-propelled cunt in water' and that's your lot.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:04 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Possibly this is just me, but all competitive swimming other than freestyle is bullshit, no?

You don't have 'football in Crocs' or 'rugby with one hand tied behind your back', so what the fuck are butterfly or breaststroke about?

:mrgreen: It's a good point. Different distances, pool/open water and what not still valid variations if they insist on having more events out of it. Perhaps they should put some hoops at different heights (under the water) and make it the swimming equivalent of hurdles?

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Possibly this is just me, but all competitive swimming other than freestyle is bullshit, no?

:mrgreen: It's a good point. Different distances, pool/open water and what not still valid variations if they insist on having more events out of it. Perhaps they should put some hoops at different heights (under the water) and make it the swimming equivalent of hurdles?[/quote

My favourite was when they explained that part of the reason why Peaty was 5 secs faster than Moorhouse (OB) is that the rules on the stroke have changed. So breaststroke isn't even breaststroke!

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:10 pm

About 15% of all Olympic medals are for swimming, right? Quite silly really.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Wimmins water polo tho', proper raincoat brigade sport this....and I have to wait 4 years to dust off the old Mac!

Return to “The Square Ball”