O/T boxing

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Clacton white » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 am

I wonder how Wilder would have dealt with a Mike Tyson ( early years ) type , someone who would swarm all over him , land huge bombs before Wilder was even set to land a punch .....Tyson would have destroyed him as early Tyson could punch - hard and fast , but also was technically an excellent fighter ....Wilder only strategy ,don't bother learning to fight , just land the huge haymaker , well it worked for a good while but is sussed out now .
I think if the money fight comes off - it will be Joshua -Fury in UK , at a sensible time .

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby the flying pig » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:37 am

don't think I want to see a rematch:not remotely close last night; at 34 (and surprisingly to me having put loads of weight on) wilder won't be getting any better; i also think he was really badly hurt tonight (?).

fury reminded me a little of late-mid career Lennox Lewis, maybe a trainer thing, maybe slowing down a bit but so dominant with that reach, weight, and big jab, or jab-slash-hook, would very comfortably be favourite against anyone. I think, whatshisname, the cruiserweight guy might be a decent fight for him to take, wouldn't blame him at all for just aiming for another two or three paydays, including a Joshua fight if and only if the money is right.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Vampire » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:16 am

Clacton white wrote:I wonder how Wilder would have dealt with a Mike Tyson ( early years ) type , someone who would swarm all over him , land huge bombs before Wilder was even set to land a punch .....Tyson would have destroyed him as early Tyson could punch - hard and fast , but also was technically an excellent fighter ....Wilder only strategy ,don't bother learning to fight , just land the huge haymaker , well it worked for a good while but is sussed out now .
I think if the money fight comes off - it will be Joshua -Fury in UK , at a sensible time .


I think Tyson in his late eighties pomp would have beaten both of them with ease.

If these two overweight fighters are the best the heavyweight division can produce it’s not a great era.

That said, Fury deserves credit for coming back from addiction and depression to where he was this morning.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Clacton white » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:59 am

the flying pig wrote:don't think I want to see a rematch:not remotely close last night; at 34 (and surprisingly to me having put loads of weight on) wilder won't be getting any better; i also think he was really badly hurt tonight (?).

fury reminded me a little of late-mid career Lennox Lewis, maybe a trainer thing, maybe slowing down a bit but so dominant with that reach, weight, and big jab, or jab-slash-hook, would very comfortably be favourite against anyone. I think, whatshisname, the cruiserweight guy might be a decent fight for him to take, wouldn't blame him at all for just aiming for another two or three paydays, including a Joshua fight if and only if the money is right.

I don't think Fury is slowing down - he's only 31 ....probably just the extra weight he put on for this fight . Fury like any good boxer can adjust his strategy or style and fight different fights . Last t one he was doing all to avoid the Wilder big punch , this one totally different in that he took the fight to Wilder , he knew from experience he was far better fighter - all Wilder has is the chance to land a huge bomb - its his only strategy , he's proven in afew fights of late that he can't box at all .

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby the flying pig » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:08 am

Vampire wrote:
Clacton white wrote:I wonder how Wilder would have dealt with a Mike Tyson ( early years ) type , someone who would swarm all over him , land huge bombs before Wilder was even set to land a punch .....Tyson would have destroyed him as early Tyson could punch - hard and fast , but also was technically an excellent fighter ....Wilder only strategy ,don't bother learning to fight , just land the huge haymaker , well it worked for a good while but is sussed out now .
I think if the money fight comes off - it will be Joshua -Fury in UK , at a sensible time .


I think Tyson in his late eighties pomp would have beaten both of them with ease...


yeah, I dunno. almost all pre 90s heavies were cruiserweights by today's standards, Tyson certainly included, it'd have been a huge challenge for him to fight someone 6'9" with an excellent jab. that said of course pre jail he was pretty much the fastest heavyweight ever and at his best would have been at least a risky proposition for anyone.

Wakefield White
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: t'other side o't hills

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Wakefield White » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am

Fair play to Fury, great tactics well executed. Can’t say I liked his style, but it was very effective and showed up Wilder’s deficiencies. A deserved champion.

Fingers crossed for Fury v Joshua very soon!
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: O/T boxing

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:33 am

Wakefield White wrote:Fair play to Fury, great tactics well executed. Can’t say I liked his style, but it was very effective and showed up Wilder’s deficiencies. A deserved champion.

Fingers crossed for Fury v Joshua very soon!


Yeah this pretty much. The Kronk style is the US version of the Ingle style, just with added punches. Not pretty but effective.

Fury would beat AJ at the moment I think, so perhaps AJ & Wilder is the fight to make now theres now clash of belts.
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:44 am

LSD&2Es wrote:
Wakefield White wrote:Fair play to Fury, great tactics well executed. Can’t say I liked his style, but it was very effective and showed up Wilder’s deficiencies. A deserved champion.

Fingers crossed for Fury v Joshua very soon!


Yeah this pretty much. The Kronk style is the US version of the Ingle style, just with added punches. Not pretty but effective.

Fury would beat AJ at the moment I think, so perhaps AJ & Wilder is the fight to make now theres now clash of belts.


Don't see what Joshua has to gain from a fight with wilder without a belt. He could still knock Joshua out also could still beat fury in the rematch.

Plus Joshua has mandatories upcoming.

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: O/T boxing

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Don't see what Joshua has to gain from a fight with wilder without a belt. He could still knock Joshua out also could still beat fury in the rematch.

Plus Joshua has mandatories upcoming.


Yeah I guess so. I suppose we'll have to see Fury Wilder again assuming theres a rematch clause as there was with AJ Ruiz. Would be a good one for Wembley with the winner going for a unification fight.

Much as I dislike Fury, he's got an incredible range of styles and skills to pick from and is a very good boxer when he wants to be.
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Yeah wilder has 30 days to decide if he wants the trilogy don't think it would be in England given ESPN are his broadcaster.

Fury is somebody who has question marks all over his character but he's a brilliant boxer.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Clacton white » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:
Wakefield White wrote:Fair play to Fury, great tactics well executed. Can’t say I liked his style, but it was very effective and showed up Wilder’s deficiencies. A deserved champion.

Fingers crossed for Fury v Joshua very soon!


Yeah this pretty much. The Kronk style is the US version of the Ingle style, just with added punches. Not pretty but effective.

Fury would beat AJ at the moment I think, so perhaps AJ & Wilder is the fight to make now theres now clash of belts.

AJ got his belts back when he won his rematch ........ so HE would financially be in the driving seat on that one now . AJ v Fury would be a unification fight right now . I think Whyte is hoping to get in on the action in some way though too . I always thought the Kronk style was brilliant as Tommy Hearns trained there , one of the best fighters I've seen , certainly my favourite - you always got entertainment with Hearns whether he won or lost .

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Clacton white wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:
Wakefield White wrote:Fair play to Fury, great tactics well executed. Can’t say I liked his style, but it was very effective and showed up Wilder’s deficiencies. A deserved champion.

Fingers crossed for Fury v Joshua very soon!


Yeah this pretty much. The Kronk style is the US version of the Ingle style, just with added punches. Not pretty but effective.

Fury would beat AJ at the moment I think, so perhaps AJ & Wilder is the fight to make now theres now clash of belts.

AJ got his belts back when he won his rematch ........ so HE would financially be in the driving seat on that one now . AJ v Fury would be a unification fight right now . I think Whyte is hoping to get in on the action in some way though too . I always thought the Kronk style was brilliant as Tommy Hearns trained there , one of the best fighters I've seen , certainly my favourite - you always got entertainment with Hearns whether he won or lost .


Not sure it's true any more that Joshua is in driving seat financially. Probably still in the UK given he is with sky but the real money is in Vegas where fury is far and away the bigger star.

Worth remembering that fury has just had his 4th American fight in a row and is now a house hold name over there. Compare that to Joshua who got beat in his only American fight.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Clacton white » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Mr Reality wrote:Not sure it's true any more that Joshua is in driving seat financially. Probably still in the UK given he is with sky but the real money is in Vegas where fury is far and away the bigger star.

Worth remembering that fury has just had his 4th American fight in a row and is now a house hold name over there. Compare that to Joshua who got beat in his only American fight.

No , I didn't phrase myself very well I think - I meant in driving seat re any match with Wilder . I think with Fury its pretty equal here , Fury would be bigger in USA , BUT are the USA interested in an all British fight ? If that one happens it should happen here . That one has to be 50-50 as both have belts and are on equal billing . Wilder is now 3rd , maybe temporarily , but his stock is down right now . Its a fickle business , all about wining and belts . I thought AJ had blown his box office pulling when he lost to the Mexican , but he has redeemed himself to a certain degree by avenging that one .
AJ v Wilder ....... well both have now shown limitations , AJ is a bit slow ( Bruno-ish IMO) , while Wilder can't actually box . Fury is the man right now and surprisingly I think he's younger than both the other two .
Someone though will emerge in the next few years and turn things on their head .... I believe the two up and coming Brits have signed to fight each other - Dubois v Joyce - both sluggers and a lot to learn , but up and coming none the less .

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T boxing

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Vampire wrote:
I think Tyson in his late eighties pomp would have beaten both of them with ease...


yeah, I dunno. almost all pre 90s heavies were cruiserweights by today's standards, Tyson certainly included, it'd have been a huge challenge for him to fight someone 6'9" with an excellent jab. that said of course pre jail he was pretty much the fastest heavyweight ever and at his best would have been at least a risky proposition for anyone.


Yeah, this. Always dodgy making these platitudinous across the decades type observations. Tyson’s best was very good and Fury’s been a bit of a mess over the years, but I’m pretty dubious about the suggestion that Tyson would beat a decent world champion who’s a foot taller ‘with ease’.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:34 pm

I think the USA are interested in fury Joshua.

Arum took a chance signing him to ESPN on a huge deal and now he's the biggest name in world boxing alongside canelo. I can't see him not fighting in Vegas.

Ultimately the money will talk and now with the new stadium in Vegas it's a huge gate as well as huge ppv.

Also worth noting that the Saudi fella who put the bid in for the Joshua fight over there was in Vegas and meeting with warren according to a podcast I listened too this week might have been.

User avatar
kennyb41
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:10 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby kennyb41 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Fury mentioned after the fight he wanted his next at some 70,000 seater baseball stadium i think and i think he mentioned just down the road in Vegas, the American public and media have really taken to him and i think them to him.

Not baseball, i think it's this thats completed in July...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegiant_Stadium
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: O/T boxing

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:49 am

Haha, what a silly cunt: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51623455


I hope that, in private, he's actually trying to understand why he really lost. He has no fucking chance in the third fight if he doesn't.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: O/T boxing

Postby the flying pig » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Haha, what a silly cunt: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51623455


I hope that, in private, he's actually trying to understand why he really lost. He has no fucking chance in the third fight if he doesn't.


The mere idea of it is shameful, beyond ludicrous, e.g.

(a) if he was struggling badly with the costume he could easily, on the spur of the moment, have decided to theatrically burst out of it mid-walk .with no-one any the wiser; and
(b) any real issues with it should & almost certainly would have been picked up & ironed out during rehearsals.

The guy's 34 yrs old & was up against his best ever opponent, end of story.

Chieftain626
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Chieftain626 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:32 pm

seems as tho he didn't bust his ear drum as thought. He was out on his legs the entire fight, very stupid excuse reference the outfit. Also looks by that interview he will be taking the the rematch.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: O/T boxing

Postby Devi » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:03 am

I like it. What is it?


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests