O/T boxing

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
BIGLEE 2

O/T boxing

Postby BIGLEE 2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Did anybody see the danny williams fight against the german guy in germany ,what a farce we all know boxing can be corrupt but this really took the piss .Too many incidents too mention but if you saw it you know where im coming from .

eric olthwaite

Re: O/T boxing

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:50 am

The Fury Klitschko thing doesn't seem to have been picked up. Seems like it was a pretty poor fight, but great to see that fucking dullard Klitschko sent packing. Fury won't last 10 minutes as champ I'm sure, but it's quite some achievement.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:59 am

The heavyweight division really is a joke these days and that pikey fucker would get twatted by any decent fighter, the Russian is an old has been so it wasn't that great of an achievement.
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:16 am

Dale White wrote:The heavyweight division really is a joke these days and that pikey fucker would get twatted by any decent fighter, the Russian is an old has been so it wasn't that great of an achievement.

Aye, it's a joke division. As you say, any decent boxer would put him down in 4or 5. Thing is, there isn't one on the horizon
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 am

It's easy too say that Klitschko's a has-been, but he still held a lot of titles for a long time. Fury was a rank outsider but he took the fight to Klitschko and didn't let him settle. I'm still calling it an achievement.
HM Collector Of Parcels

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:32 am

Mustafaster wrote:
Dale White wrote:The heavyweight division really is a joke these days and that pikey fucker would get twatted by any decent fighter, the Russian is an old has been so it wasn't that great of an achievement.

Aye, it's a joke division. As you say, any decent boxer would put him down in 4or 5. Thing is, there isn't one on the horizon

Joshua? He's looked great whenever I've seen him, though admittedly it seems to have been against slightly chubby blokes who are a foot shorter than him.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:27 pm

I think it’s a bit of a shame really that it didn’t get slightly better coverage. Seems fairly obvious to me that Fury’s ‘racial’ background plays at least some part in it. The last acceptable form of racism, etc.

I should think that he’s good enough to make a good few defences, especially with a reasonably cautious approach to selecting opponents. Klitschko has been a great champion but pushing forty I mean, seriously…

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:39 pm

If you go back to the 1930's or before - any boxer over around 6ft 5 ( Jess Willard, Primo Carnera for example) were considered freaks , they got title shots due to career management and their great size , yet they now would only compare to the likes of Klitchko who is around 6'6 I think . Heavyweights now are bigger than ever , Lennox /Lewis was around 6ft 6 too I think - difference is they aren't the cumbersome beasts that Carnera and Willard were BUT they don't have the speed or skills of Tyson , Joe Frazier, Ali etc .The heavyweight division isn't that good now - the only hope I see is Anthony Joshua who may provide some skill .Fury I believe is a very crude fighter and not really all that good in the grand scheme of heavyweights . Haven't seen the Klitchko fight but sound s like it was one too many for him - he is 40 now I think .

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:17 pm

I mean, clearly Fury is massive, but he's not that physically impressive. If you scaled him down to 5ft 10 or whatever he'd look pretty much like a normal bloke who goes to the gym a couple of times a week.

Whereas Joshua, well, where is the Danny's Dusky Dreamboats thread when I need it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:29 pm

the flying pig wrote:I think it’s a bit of a shame really that it didn’t get slightly better coverage. Seems fairly obvious to me that Fury’s ‘racial’ background plays at least some part in it. The last acceptable form of racism, etc

Agreed. I also think, well, the whole Dr Steelhammer thing: fighter; intellectual; would-be politician - it just seems fitting that he should get twatted by a scruffy twat who lives in a caravan, y'know?
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:58 pm

A scruffy twat with some strange ideas about gays and the Apocalypse. And caravans.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Just makes you realise how lucky we were with boxing in the 90s.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Well, it's not like I've ever come across a boxer I'd want to meet to chat over a pint TBF. 'Well adjusted' doesn't seem to go with the gig.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:38 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Well, it's not like I've ever come across a boxer I'd want to meet to chat over a pint TBF. 'Well adjusted' doesn't seem to go with the gig.

Oh, I dunno. I always used to think Lennox had his head on right.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Well, it's not like I've ever come across a boxer I'd want to meet to chat over a pint TBF. 'Well adjusted' doesn't seem to go with the gig.

Oh, I dunno. I always used to think Lennox had his head on right.

Bit too Canadian for me.

To be fair, on reflection, I met Gary Mason once and he seemed a pretty decent sort.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:12 pm

I never thought of Lennox as Canadian at all. There's a great YouTube clip of him being interviewed about his fame, and from the next room in full west Indian idiom comes this almighty "Lennoooxx..!" from his mum.

Interview temporarily suspended :lol:

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:32 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:The Fury Klitschko thing doesn't seem to have been picked up. Seems like it was a pretty poor fight, but great to see that fucking dullard Klitschko sent packing. Fury won't last 10 minutes as champ I'm sure, but it's quite some achievement.

Given the state of the heavyweight division he may last a while.

Wilder is largely unproven but dangerous.
Haye has injury doubts.
Joshua wont be rushed, Eddie Hearn will milk him for another 12 months before he even considers a world title shot.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:10 am

Mr Reality wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:The Fury Klitschko thing doesn't seem to have been picked up. Seems like it was a pretty poor fight, but great to see that fucking dullard Klitschko sent packing. Fury won't last 10 minutes as champ I'm sure, but it's quite some achievement.

Given the state of the heavyweight division he may last a while.

Wilder is largely unproven but dangerous.
Haye has injury doubts.
Joshua wont be rushed, Eddie Hearn will milk him for another 12 months before he even considers a world title shot.

I think Wilder or Haye would beat him.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Probably but whether they make the fights is another matter. Will be interesting to see how Haye gets on with Shane Mcguigan.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:45 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
To be fair, on reflection, I met Gary Mason once and he seemed a pretty decent sort.

I remember hearing an interview with Gary and he was asked what was the most scary thing about boxing (or something similar) and he replied "when you hit your opponent with your best shot and they just smile at you" :mrgreen:
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Return to “The Square Ball”