Let’s get to the heckingbottom of this v Leeds CK

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Let’s get to the heckingbottom of this v Leeds CK

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:As regards Eric's point on second season syndrome, It would be more of a worry if we didn't have a recognisable pattern of play which puts other teams on the back foot. I don't think it's a question of us "being found out" next season, as it's far harder to play against a team that attempts to win every game, than a Sheffield United or Newcastle whose main aim is merely to survive.

Yeah, to be honest I’m not sure where this comes from or whether it’s actually a thing statistically. I think there might be a combination of first season ‘adrenaline’ in the promoted players and complacency in the teams they play. I do feel very certain that if we stand still we’ll get run over.
Member of a clique

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:As regards Eric's point on second season syndrome, It would be more of a worry if we didn't have a recognisable pattern of play which puts other teams on the back foot. I don't think it's a question of us "being found out" next season, as it's far harder to play against a team that attempts to win every game, than a Sheffield United or Newcastle whose main aim is merely to survive.

Yeah, to be honest I’m not sure where this comes from or whether it’s actually a thing statistically. I think there might be a combination of first season ‘adrenaline’ in the promoted players and complacency in the teams they play. I do feel very certain that if we stand still we’ll get run over.

I think that Huddersfield and Sheffield United are opposite examples of the points that you and SoL were making. In their first season Huddersfield packed their defence, kept the games tight but scored few goals and more often than not lost in the second half. Whereas Sheffield United attacked with overlapping CBs, still scored few goals but only lost 12 of 38 games. In their second seasons they both spent big on terrible players, had no tactical plan and lost around 75% of their games, as they had nothing to offer but endeavour and that wasn't sufficient initially and failed entirely after 10-15 games. There are certainly learnings to be had, as Jos Buttler would say, but I'm still feeling cosy about next season, as our recruitment has improved massively due to the combination of Orta and Bielsa and I can't see us buying non-entities from the UK, as was the case with Blunts, or unheard of players from abroad, as per Huddersfield.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:10 pm

If we keep Bielsa and recruit fairly well we will be fine next season. We all know we need a left back and a CM and I reckon Orta will be all over that.

Sheff utd's demise is interesting. As well as ultra shit recruitment, they lost 2 key members of last season's side in Henderson and O'Connell. We'll need a plan for each of our first teamers as well to ensure we have a decent plan B. At the moment we are very reliant on Meslier, Phillips, Raphinha and Bamford.

Huddersfield got very lucky for 2 seasons (promotion and 1st season) and then I think the luck ran out.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm

So I think I want Fulham to go down, as I think given time theyay sort themselves out. Newcastle will always be a basket case under Ashley. Worth keeping an eye out for crystal palace over the summer. Hodgson and a load of their squad are out of contract so they could be forced into a period of rebuilding.

Burnley will also be interesting with the new owners. They only have McNeill as a saleable asset and the squad is getting older...

That means we only have to finish ahead of 1 newly promoted team to survive.

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:47 pm

Sheffield won allot of games there first season by 1 goal. This season has been the opposite. I would like to think we can improve incrementally next season and slowly filter in improvements to the overall squad.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:42 am

Arnieb wrote:So I think I want Fulham to go down, as I think given time theyay sort themselves out. Newcastle will always be a basket case under Ashley. Worth keeping an eye out for crystal palace over the summer. Hodgson and a load of their squad are out of contract so they could be forced into a period of rebuilding.

Burnley will also be interesting with the new owners. They only have McNeill as a saleable asset and the squad is getting older...

That means we only have to finish ahead of 1 newly promoted team to survive.

Glass almost drained?

Return to “The Square Ball”