It's the End of The Squareball As We Know It Coronavirus Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - and its all THEIR fault!!

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Arf.

Appears to be basically true.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Holidays might not be as simple as BoZo is implying

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Holidays might not be as simple as BoZo is implying

they just don't like him because he's Turkish, right?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 5:05 pm

FWIFWW

Filtering the science

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Masks out of lockdown.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Holidays might not be as simple as BoZo is implying

Come to Sweden, we’re not fussy :thumbl:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Blackwhite wrote:FWIFWW

Filtering the science

I was thinking that the easing of restrictions in the UK does seem a bit precocious compared to other places where the pandemic hit earlier.
Anecdotal I know, but we are now 9 days without any deaths and the number of new cases has been in single figures for the same time.
I know we're a small, largely rural region, but the virus doesn't know that.
The lockdown was fierce. Much, much stricter than the UK.
Coppers everywhere and if you didn't have a bloody cast-iron reason for leaving the house you were in the shit. Fines for breaking the rules were serious, not 50 fuckin quid, which most people will have in their back pocket.
We are now in a phase similar to what Johnson is set to introduce on Monday .
AFAIK the R rate here is below 0.5, and dropping, but it's hard to know how reliable the figure is.
That's not the case for the entire country, where the R rate is higher and the number of new cases is still high the rules are stricter.

Spain handled things very poorly at first, they were a week late in bringing in the lockdown, for ideological reasons, which the leftist parties are wholly responsible for. Shame on them.. But after the first terrifying, huge spike they've been much better.

I hope your "behavioural scientist "know what they are doing.
I have a natural aversion to any kind of behavioural science that doesn't have a massive cognitive input, and from what I can glean your people are data driven, exclusively, which doesn't always work in social science.
Works fine for the natural sciences, but not for behaviour.
In this case data is not always knowledge. What appears to be the case often isn't.
Best of luck.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri May 29, 2020 7:19 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:FWIFWW

Filtering the science

I was thinking that the easing of restrictions in the UK does seem a bit precocious compared to other places where the pandemic hit earlier.
Anecdotal I know, but we are now 9 days without any deaths and the number of new cases has been in single figures for the same time.
I know we're a small, largely rural region, but the virus doesn't know that.
The lockdown was fierce. Much, much stricter than the UK.
Coppers everywhere and if you didn't have a bloody cast-iron reason for leaving the house you were in the shit. Fines for breaking the rules were serious, not 50 fuckin quid, which most people will have in their back pocket.
We are now in a phase similar to what Johnson is set to introduce on Monday .
AFAIK the R rate here is below 0.5, and dropping, but it's hard to know how reliable the figure is.
That's not the case for the entire country, where the R rate is higher and the number of new cases is still high the rules are stricter.

Spain handled things very poorly at first, they were a week late in bringing in the lockdown, for ideological reasons, which the leftist parties are wholly responsible for. Shame on them.. But after the first terrifying, huge spike they've been much better.

I hope your "behavioural scientist "know what they are doing.
I have a natural aversion to any kind of behavioural science that doesn't have a massive cognitive input, and from what I can glean your people are data driven, exclusively, which doesn't always work in social science.
Works fine for the natural sciences, but not for behaviour.
In this case data is not always knowledge. What appears to be the case often isn't.
Best of luck.

Pretty much sums it up.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 pm

And Farrar also breaking Sage ranks...

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 6:29 am

:salute: to this lady

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 am

Track and Trace Is A Joke.

Boris Johnson tells Britain that our test-and-tracing system will be “world-beating”. Here’s what I’ve witnessed from the inside.

...soon pretty clear that people were having problems accessing the system correctly. Our trainer dipped in now and then, saying the training would start in 10 mins – 10 mins later, they would repeat the message. Nearly two hours later the training began, but people were still having problems – at which point they were told there was nothing more they could do...

The training was wrapped up early, and we were asked if we felt prepared. There was a chorus of no from many people. Some said yes, but I didn’t see how anyone could be prepared for something they’d only found out about a couple of hours ago, plus we hadn’t even accessed the specific programmes. ...

The next morning I was worried, and feeling very unprepared. I felt the job was an important thing to do. But it was essential to get this right, and I didn’t really understand the role and how to use the systems. I logged in and saw a message saying I would be invited to a chatroom and to please wait.

I waited seven and a half hours (my entire shift). I called the HR helpline after about one hour and was told to relax – everyone is waiting.

Two days later I logged in for my weekend shift and discovered nothing had changed – and that I had clocked up 40 hours of key worker pay for doing absolutely nothing.

After the Dominic Cummings story broke I started hearing more media stories about the track-and-trace programme. Health secretary Matt Hancock claimed that “highly trained track-and-trace staff” were in place. I still had not seen the government system we were supposed to use.

Over the next few days I learned more about my job from watching the news than I did from those who were supposed to supervise me. I still did not feel qualified to do it. ...

On Thursday, according the government, the system launched. But for me, nothing changed. It was a day of waiting, no system access. Yet on TV at the daily briefing, Boris Johnson told the nation all was well.

To this day I remain a “key worker”, paid £10 an hour to sit in a chatroom – alone, lost, without support or help. Despite what the government is saying, it seems the relentless problem “with the system” is another pandemic without a cure. Motivated as I am to help out during this difficult time – and after two weeks of doing “pretend” work on the track-and-trace programme – I have decided to quit and try to find a real way to help people.

Sounds aces.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat May 30, 2020 7:50 am

Blackwhite wrote:Track and Trace Is A Joke.

Boris Johnson tells Britain that our test-and-tracing system will be “world-beating”. Here’s what I’ve witnessed from the inside...

On Thursday, according the government, the system launched. But for me, nothing changed. It was a day of waiting, no system access. Yet on TV at the daily briefing, Boris Johnson told the nation all was well.

Johnson is sounding more and more like Trump.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 8:11 am

Promises, promises.

Cue the "all politicians lie, what do you expect" crowd, bootblack-tongued...

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 8:21 am

:thumbl:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat May 30, 2020 8:26 am

Now THAT is world-beating!
:salute:
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 9:04 am

324 dead yesterday was it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 9:40 am

I'm only just catching up with Private Eye after watching Hislop spit nails on HIGNFY.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am

Live coverage of BW gently reminding the Squareball of his views on the governments handling of the coronavirus

Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 am

Hislop was rather good on HIGNFY last night, though. He's always better when he's genuinely fucked off.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 10:29 am

MightyWhite wrote:Live coverage of BW gently reminding the Squareball of his views on the governments handling of the coronavirus

:mrgreen: just sharing content while saving blackbirds chicks from my cat, mate...

Other opinions are welcomed.

Return to “The Square Ball”