Success at all costs

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side

Yeboah's question about defining your preference

Promotion
67%
Champ football player nicely in front of a great crowd, ultimately ending in failure
26%
Frank Lampard's cock
7%

Total votes: 27

welshwhite

Re: Success at all costs

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 9:48 am

Vampire wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Nah. The fucker never turned up in Pattaya either.

I'm not even going to ask him to meet in Oz for our pre-season friendly.

I hesitate to ask knowing what a relentless piss taking cunt you are - but are you really coming over for the pre season friendly?

No, in Thailand then :thumbl:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed May 22, 2019 10:50 am

This poll resembles the Brexit Referendum:

* not called for the right reason;

* incompetently drafted question; and

* result not what the organiser was expecting or hoping for!

Promotion means promotion!

:lol:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Tommy wrote:
the flying pig wrote:any kind of promotion would be infinitely preferable to any kind of failure

I for one would prefer to stay in the Championship under Bielsa (and I think we will) than be promoted under say, Warnock.

The Premiership is fairly shit unless you have money (by which I mean more than the money you get for being up there). The second division is a more exciting league and seemingly anyone can win it. There are so many big clubs down here now it doesn't seem like much of a difference anyhow. Until we have a wealthier owner there's little point being up there anyhow.

i wanted to win the play-offs but stay in the championship. one out of two isn't bad.

there's a vibe about leeds i like at the moment that i imagine would be diluted by being in the premiership. people go to leeds games to watch leeds, not because of who they're playing, the standard of football means it's easier to give the kids a chance, the players don't seem like mega-stars and you realise that good management or a few quid well spent can actually make a significant difference to results. i like the saturday/tuesday relentless slog, i like the unpredictability of the championship, i like being able to get tickets when i want, i prefer the ticket prices. basically the championship's got more soul.

the premier league = predictable results, less games, greater ticket prices, superstar players, glamour, less opportunities for the youth, more glory supporters, more people with an uninformed opinion on your side. i can do without it*

*i have to acknowledge that the premier league with bielsa in charge would be lots of fun for a bit.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Am I right in thinking we're talking about never wanting promotion?

Tommy

Success at all costs

Postby Tommy » Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Just that it’s borderline pointless unless you have multi-billionaire ownership. Until that happens you might as well play in a league that is consistently exciting and has a defined and semi-realistic goal where you will likely win a higher percentage of games.

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm

I would quite like to be a yo-yo club, like west brom were for a period. Always fighting for something, be it promotion or to avoid relegation, and enough time in the top flight to make the club financially steady as long as owners don't overreach.

Most clubs in the Prem have nothing riding on half their games. Mid table boredom is not for me and even when Leeds finish 13th in the champ at least there's genuine hope of something better next year

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed May 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Tommy wrote:Just that it’s borderline pointless unless you have multi-billionaire ownership. Until that happens you might as well play in a league that is consistently exciting and has a defined and semi-realistic goal where you will likely win a higher percentage of games.

But to do any of that....you will go bust.

Genius

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Football is an entertainment business.

Hollywood blockbuster or low budget film.

I want to see the the best players possible wearing the shirt.

Viduka smashing 4 against Liverpool v Bamford fannying around.

Anyway, must dash :thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Yeboah, do you have a beige profession by any chance? Something stolid and dependable, like bank branch manager or risk assessor? Genuine question.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed May 22, 2019 9:08 pm

This has been the most enjoyable season - warts and all - of my Leeds supporting life, including 2000/2001, when try as I might, I never really saw us actually winning the CL, and more thrilling than 91/92*

More please, vicar. And if one day by chance, the hallowed land, then that too, but my heart, my head, my soul are Leeds, whatever league we're in, and Leeds, like them, are perfectly flawed.

Its probably why I love them so.

* (I dont remember the early 70's - I was a mere bairn.)
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 31, 2019 6:41 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 pm

welshwhite wrote:As another generation of Leeds youngsters ask their parents for Liverpool, Manchester City and Scum shirts for Xmas.

Bollocks. none of my kids have seen a top flight Leeds and they are all Leeds (well, Summer is team Unicorn at the moment but flirts with being Leeds) despite having the option of supporting a local club. Then our local clubs are Brighton, Palace & Fulham, so there's a possible reason....
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Return to “The Square Ball”