Success at all costs

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side

Yeboah's question about defining your preference

Promotion
67%
Champ football player nicely in front of a great crowd, ultimately ending in failure
26%
Frank Lampard's cock
7%

Total votes: 27

Blackwhite

Success at all costs

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 21, 2019 6:16 pm

So, thought it might be interesting to formally ask... Hope I haven't split any votes here...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Re: Success at all costs

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue May 21, 2019 6:26 pm

The options don't really fit. Clearly most of us want promotion, ideally it'd come with everything in with option B aside from the failure.

Deliberately picking extremes but I see things in this order:
1. Glorious free flowing, successful football culminating in promotion.
2. Warnockian promotion
3. Glorious free flowing football ending in cruel failure at the death
4. Almost anything else.

There's not a lot between 2 and 3 for me and I believe option 1 is as possible next season as it was this. I also believe a change in manager reduces the chances.

I've voted promotion.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 21, 2019 6:32 pm

No, they're shit options, apologies but look what I'm working with him & me both...

...including typos :pig:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 pm

I am going to disagree to agree with Yeboah!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm

rss1969 wrote:I am going to disagree to agree with Yeboah!

:lol:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 21, 2019 7:43 pm

any kind of promotion would be infinitely preferable to any kind of failure, but, as already pointed out on this and t'other thread, there's really not *all that much* correlation between playing style & chances of success, so the choices facing us aren't really the ones in this poll.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 pm

I'll take route one hoof ball 1-0 wins over 65% fannying around Tippy tappy 4-3 losses any day of the week if it means promotion.

Winning brings happiness.
Defeat brings sorrow.
Emperor Hirohito - 1946

16 seasons of fucking up has to stop by whatever means possible.

Think small and you'll act small.
Ronnie Corbett - 1972

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 pm

the flying pig wrote:any kind of promotion would be infinitely preferable to any kind of failure

I for one would prefer to stay in the Championship under Bielsa (and I think we will) than be promoted under say, Warnock.

The Premiership is fairly shit unless you have money (by which I mean more than the money you get for being up there). The second division is a more exciting league and seemingly anyone can win it. There are so many big clubs down here now it doesn't seem like much of a difference anyhow. Until we have a wealthier owner there's little point being up there anyhow.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Tue May 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Tommy wrote:
the flying pig wrote:any kind of promotion would be infinitely preferable to any kind of failure

I for one would prefer to stay in the Championship under Bielsa (and I think we will) than be promoted under say, Warnock.

The Premiership is fairly shit unless you have money (by which I mean more than the money you get for being up there). The second division is a more exciting league and seemingly anyone can win it. There are so many big clubs down here now it doesn't seem like much of a difference anyhow. Until we have a wealthier owner there's little point being up there anyhow.

I was really looking forward to seeing what Bielsa could do with a premiership budget. I know we wouldn’t have won anything, but I was thinking we could give the league a bloody nose, show people that it’s really not as strong a competition as they think it is.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Bob

Postby Bob » Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 pm

Tommy wrote:

I'll have to second this. Do I really want to see us get smashed 4-0 by one of top six clubs unless we spend 100 million a year on transfers and wages. The best that we could hope for would be finishing near the top of the also rans. This year has been a great year and I am looking forward to another exciting season next year playing attractive(to me) football.

Fuck the premiership.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 pm

As another generation of Leeds youngsters ask their parents for Liverpool, Manchester City and Scum shirts for Xmas.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 pm

Aye but having more money and visibility brings those fans and more back. Look at Chelsea and City. Fuck it, look at Leicester and probably soon Wolves.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 7:04 am

I'd love it if we could be like City. Winning the title and watching those type of players wearing our shirt while playing that dazzling style of football.

Or we could be getting humped by the likes of Brum
twice a season.

Hard choice.
We've also got dirty money in our transfer kitty from Myrimar.

People want the best for their family and loved ones.
Why not want the best for something you've been close to for decades.

Each to their own, as Kennyb once said.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 am

welshwhite wrote:We've also got dirty money in our transfer kitty from Myrimar.

Hotel in Torremolinos?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 am

dirty leeds wrote:

Hotel in Torremolinos?

:D Close, as a matter of fact I'm in a hotel in Sunny Beach Bulgaria.

I thought it looked wrong on my mobile spell cheque :thumbl:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed May 22, 2019 7:36 am

welshwhite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:

Hotel in Torremolinos?

:D Close, as a matter of fact I'm in a hotel in Sunny Beach Bulgaria.

I thought it looked wrong on my mobile spell cheque :thumbl:

Kenny there playing cards with you, m8?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 7:41 am

Nah. The fucker never turned up in Pattaya either.

I'm not even going to ask him to meet in Oz for our pre-season friendly.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed May 22, 2019 8:14 am

welshwhite wrote:Nah. The fucker never turned up in Pattaya either.

Still, at least there'll be Vamps and his extensive Motown collection.

Terre Harte

Postby Terre Harte » Wed May 22, 2019 9:01 am

Tommy wrote:

On a certain level, I guess I sort of get this, but on a better level? Fuck that. I want
Leeds to test itself against the best.

The Championship may very well be “a more exciting league” much in the same way it’s probably exciting to watch street cars race at 100 mph because they’re relatively even. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t rather watch the Indianapolis 500.

If fucking Bournemouth can figure out how to sustain Premier League status, surely we can. We might even luck out and pull a Man City ownership upgrade and be rich as fuck.
"If you sell the refrigerator to buy the beer, where the fuck do you put the beer?"

"My only weapon is my pen ... and the state of mind I’m in.”

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 am

welshwhite wrote:Nah. The fucker never turned up in Pattaya either.

I hesitate to ask knowing what a relentless piss taking cunt you are - but are you really coming over for the pre season friendly?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Return to “The Square Ball”