Planning for next season

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby jackos » Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 am

the flying pig wrote:no mentions for saiz or grot?


All the signals I've heard are that Saiz will stay in Spain and that we're hoping to get 5.5 million for him, he's made the bench and come on a few times for Getafe recently so I suppose there must be a club that's willing to take a punt - but probably not at that price. Not a chance we'll see him in Leeds again.

Grot? Who cares ... 33 games, 6 goals and 3 assists, though I guess they might bring him back if we need bodies in the U23 squad.

Cibicki, De Bock, Sacko, Ekuban, Grot, Bouy, Anita, Saiz all due back at the end of June. Fuck knows if any of their contracts are due to expire

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: Planning for next season

Postby Devi » Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Anyway, we get to play Hudds, Fulham and Colin (as well as one of Villa or Derby) so acres of lolz to be had there.


Fulham meet up for sure....
I like it. What is it?

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Planning for next season

Postby the flying pig » Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 am

jackos wrote:...Cibicki, De Bock, Sacko, Ekuban, Grot, Bouy, Anita, Saiz all due back at the end of June. Fuck knows if any of their contracts are due to expire


christ, i forgot all about those guys. none of their deals up this summer. dearie me.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-u ... verein/399

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: Planning for next season

Postby MightyWhite » Thu May 16, 2019 10:31 am

Two new wingers and a top drawer striker would be my wish list. Anything else on top of that would be a bonus.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

emtee
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby emtee » Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 am

eric olthwaite wrote:I worry about next season, thinking about it.

Thing is if we had, this season, scraped into sixth on the last day and not made the final, we'd have said, 'OK, decent progress, decent platform, we push on'. But as it is, I suspect that a lot of people will now think that if we don't achieve auto-promotion next time it's a catastrophe.

I'm not sure that footballing progress is a simple and linear as people would like to believe. You'd think that if you, say, took our team and replaced the three worst players with better players it would mean that we'll finish at a higher level, but it isn't as simple as that. Cause/effect in football is so complex and margins so fine that it's easy to see how the 'improved' team could just as easily finish 7th next time.

Anyway, we get to play Hudds, Fulham and Colin (as well as one of Villa or Derby) so acres of lolz to be had there.


brighton 3rd 2016, out in semis
auto promo 2017
thats the blueprint

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Planning for next season

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 am

emtee wrote:brighton 3rd 2016, out in semis
auto promo 2017
thats the blueprint


Aye, it's a blueprint right enough. I guess I'm thinking about fans' expectations really. Thing about Brighton is their fans never really 'expected' promotion to the Prem because they saw themselves as a lower league club historically. Though now they're up there they talk as if they 'deserve' their Premiership status, whatever the fuck that means.

I worry a bit about the reaction from our fans if we don't get off to a flyer next season.

BC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Planning for next season

Postby BC » Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

Can we just go back to being reassuringly crap next year? I can’t handle another like this one

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Planning for next season

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 am

BC wrote:Can we just go back to being reassuringly crap next year? I can’t handle another like this one

And still being on TV 25 times! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andymac

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Planning for next season

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am

So... my fantasyland version:

49ers take more of the club and inject some money. Or some similar arrangement whereby we get enough dosh to fend off transfer enquiries and buy in.

Bielsa stays.

Liverpool win the Champs League and James Milner says, 'Yep, that'll do me - now I'm off back to Leeds to help take 'em up'.
We get him on a free. He is made our captain [obvs highest paid player, though a cut by his standards], and is essentially the replacement Pablo.

We go back in for Daniel James. And we get him. The Man Utd talk was bollocks anyway; we just have to pay a bit more.

We get rid of Bamford, keep Roofe and buy a better striker than both, probably from abroad, someone we've never/barely heard of, but he's the dog's bollocks. [It happens to other teams, so why not us?]

Douglas comes back as the player he was at the start of last season. And he starts scoring from fucking free kicks. Thus we keep the same defence and also Phillips.
Pablo and Roberts chase each other for the No. 10 role, giving the former time off and the latter time to learn and improve. Milner plays the Strachan role on the right.

Oh, and someone coaches Kiko on how not to fuck up those long balls best left to defenders.

That makes us Champions.

Chieftain626
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Planning for next season

Postby Chieftain626 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 pm

dirty leeds wrote:So... my fantasyland version:

49ers take more of the club and inject some money. Or some similar arrangement whereby we get enough dosh to fend off transfer enquiries and buy in.

Bielsa stays.

Liverpool win the Champs League and James Milner says, 'Yep, that'll do me - now I'm off back to Leeds to help take 'em up'.
We get him on a free. He is made our captain [obvs highest paid player, though a cut by his standards], and is essentially the replacement Pablo.

We go back in for Daniel James. And we get him. The Man Utd talk was bollocks anyway; we just have to pay a bit more.

We get rid of Bamford, keep Roofe and buy a better striker than both, probably from abroad, someone we've never/barely heard of, but he's the dog's bollocks. [It happens to other teams, so why not us?]

Douglas comes back as the player he was at the start of last season. And he starts scoring from fucking free kicks. Thus we keep the same defence and also Phillips.
Pablo and Roberts chase each other for the No. 10 role, giving the former time off and the latter time to learn and improve. Milner plays the Strachan role on the right.

Oh, and someone coaches Kiko on how not to fuck up those long balls best left to defenders.

That makes us Champions.



Massively on board with all of the above.

Do you think Pat O'Bamford could have a Chris Wood season next year though?

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Planning for next season

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Chieftain626 wrote:Do you think Pat O'Bamford could have a Chris Wood season next year though?


No, not a whole season. He's too patchy to do it for more than a short run of games. We need somebody reliably scary.

BC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Planning for next season

Postby BC » Thu May 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I think there’s a player somewhere in Bamford, we’ll never see it here though, he’s fucked that. He should move on.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Planning for next season

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:27 pm



This is brilliant. Made me laugh for the first time today. It's the music!
Andymac

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Planning for next season

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 16, 2019 1:55 pm

jackos wrote:All the signals I've heard are that Saiz will stay in Spain and that we're hoping to get 5.5 million for him, he's made the bench and come on a few times for Getafe recently so I suppose there must be a club that's willing to take a punt - but probably not at that price. Not a chance we'll see him in Leeds again.

Grot? Who cares ... 33 games, 6 goals and 3 assists, though I guess they might bring him back if we need bodies in the U23 squad.

Cibicki, De Bock, Sacko, Ekuban, Grot, Bouy, Anita, Saiz all due back at the end of June. Fuck knows if any of their contracts are due to expire


I've just read that Ideguchi's on his way back too. We're saved :cheers:

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby jackos » Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm



De Bock and Ideguchi 2022 :shock:

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Planning for next season

Postby the flying pig » Thu May 16, 2019 3:09 pm

jackos wrote:


De Bock... 2022 :shock:


player :thumbl:.

i often find myself badly wanting to rate and/or like a player, especially a newish signing, if they cost a fair bit of cash & were brought in to fill a 'problem position', i certainly did this with LdB, but in terms of evidence to back this up I've to date seen not one shred of it. i think the guy's probably a 'full back' in the genuine, old fashioned, sense [i.e. when teams played 2-3-5], very much a defensive player, not a bielsa left back at all.
,

rss1969
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby rss1969 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 pm

the flying pig wrote:
jackos wrote:


De Bock... 2022 :shock:


player :thumbl:.

i often find myself badly wanting to rate and/or like a player, especially a newish signing, if they cost a fair bit of cash & were brought in to fill a 'problem position', i certainly did this with LdB, but in terms of evidence to back this up I've to date seen not one shred of it. i think the guy's probably a 'full back' in the genuine, old fashioned, sense [i.e. when teams played 2-3-5], very much a defensive player, not a bielsa left back at all.
,


From the games I saw him play in, he was not a left back of any description.

These players are probably the reason we cannot commit to the 3 or 4 quality signings needed.

emtee
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby emtee » Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 pm

were not gettin james forget it
even if scum was nonsense a shite pl club will blow us out of the water

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Planning for next season

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 16, 2019 4:18 pm

emtee wrote:were not gettin james forget it
even if scum was nonsense a shite pl club will blow us out of the water


I refer you to the word 'fantasyland' in my post.

Daniel James might well end up at, say, Bournemouth or Newcastle or indeed one of the three promoted clubs.

User avatar
metalsmurf
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Littleborough, Gtr Scumland

Re: Planning for next season

Postby metalsmurf » Thu May 16, 2019 5:17 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Keep Bielsa
2 new strikers as Roofe will leave and Bamford is no good
2 new keepers
A new Hernandez
2 new centre backs

Easy

I don't see Roofe leaving. Don't think he's shown enough this season that a bigger team will come in for him. Too many injuries.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Terre Harte and 21 guests