Planning for next season

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
sebastianlovemonkey
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby sebastianlovemonkey » Wed May 22, 2019 10:50 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nited-city

Some interesting reading of the here’s what we could have won variety. Almost all clubs with a hefty debt. Despite the Prem windfall. Check out Chelsea and the loan they owe Abramovich, should he ever call it in.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby jackos » Thu May 23, 2019 5:45 am

moscowhite wrote:
On a question from Kvällsposten if it had still been nice to test in the Premier League, the answer was:

- Understand me right. I played in Malmö for four to five seasons, that one ultimately wants a new challenge. Get out and do the same, you can do everything ... We'll see.


I get the first part; after a while at Malmo he wanted a new challenge so left. But then, 'Get out and do the same, you can do everything ... We'll see' seems to be lost in translation. Any clues? Thanks in advance :)


He's just saying that he needed a new challenge after 4-5 years in Malmö like you wrote. He'd been doing the same thing every day, he knew it all. Since he was responding to a question about the PL you have to assume he feels it's time for a change now as well, but he doesn't say that directly.

Could speculate about a lot of the stuff he say's in the interview, what does he mean when he say's "We were so close, and with this squad .." Dot dot dot, that the squad over achieved? That it was a good squad? He is under a lot of pressure. "When will he move home to play for Malmö", "Does he want to stay in Leeds", "WIll he move to the PL", "Is he looking forward to playing for Sweden". So I guess he's trying to answer them all without pissing anyone off.

He'd be bloody daft not to move on if he has an opportunity to play in the PL. Stick with Bielsa's regime, which must be one of the toughest unforgiving there is, or move to a PL and be pampered like a prince for 3-4 years. LIke other articles have speculated in, I don't think he really likes Bielsa or his training methods/philosophy. In the interview he say's he feels like his move home to Malmö is getting closer, he's 29, so this might be his last chance to play at the highest level.

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: Planning for next season

Postby MightyWhite » Thu May 23, 2019 7:08 am

Yeah I’ve got it pretty much banked that Jansson will be the big ticket sale to fund the summer spending. We’d be mad to turn down anything north of £10m and he’d be mad not to take it.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby welshwhite » Thu May 23, 2019 8:20 am

Our main Goalkeeper is suspect.
Defence not all that bad.
Midfield lacks width and creativity.
Strikers need too many chances to score.

All in all even with Bielsa at the helm a top six is about the best we can hope for.

Time for Bielsa to step up and bring in players that he would have identified during his time here.

If players like that Commie Pontus want out then we can rebuild with the money they bring in.

Three quality players could be enough if we add them to what we'll be left with.

In a perfect world we'd unleash the youngsters but Bielsa preferred to end the season with our older heads.

Interesting times ahead.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Planning for next season

Postby Mustafaster » Thu May 23, 2019 8:40 am

I'm expecting da yoot to play a much bigger part next year.
They all know the system perfectly now. They're a year older and physically stronger.
Shackleton & co. It's your time.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
moscowhite
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby moscowhite » Thu May 23, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks Jackos, that all makes sense :thumbl:

As to whether he likes working under Bielsa, he mentioned a bit when I interviewed him but I couldn't fit it in anywhere. He said that because he's always played every game at "110% or 120%" intensity, he finds playing matches exhausting — he leaves it all on the pitch. So training at 100% every day as well is hard for him to cope with. It wasn't a complaint, he was just saying, that's his situation. It sounded a bit like the old David Batty philosophy — not motivated in training, but more committed than anyone at 3pm.

(The context was about his body language at the end of last season, and how he finds it hard to maintain the in-game intensity when there's nothing at stake; he feels, and his brother always tell him, that he plays better when it's a big game with lots of work to do. Said the Reading game, after we'd gone 3-0 up, was hard to play in. The tone was kind of accepting, he's 28/29, this is the way he is.)

I think you're bound to get that in a squad of 25 — you'll always have some who do/don't like the coach, and I guess that's taken to extremes when you're worked as hard as Bielsa works you. I think it might be a factor in the second season/burnout stories people like to tell. Bielsa's methods have increased the transfer and salary value of pretty much every player at Leeds. This summer those players will be getting a lot of offers like, 'We'll pay you loads more money, and you won't have to do half as much work.' That's got to be tempting, although it's a the buying club and moving player's risk whether they can be as good without the work. For someone like Jansson, I suppose he's old enough to say he's proved himself with or without Bielsa.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Planning for next season

Postby the flying pig » Thu May 23, 2019 8:52 am

jackos wrote:
moscowhite wrote:
On a question from Kvällsposten if it had still been nice to test in the Premier League, the answer was:

- Understand me right. I played in Malmö for four to five seasons, that one ultimately wants a new challenge. Get out and do the same, you can do everything ... We'll see.


I get the first part; after a while at Malmo he wanted a new challenge so left. But then, 'Get out and do the same, you can do everything ... We'll see' seems to be lost in translation. Any clues? Thanks in advance :)


He's just saying that he needed a new challenge after 4-5 years in Malmö like you wrote. He'd been doing the same thing every day, he knew it all. Since he was responding to a question about the PL you have to assume he feels it's time for a change now as well, but he doesn't say that directly.

Could speculate about a lot of the stuff he say's in the interview, what does he mean when he say's "We were so close, and with this squad .." Dot dot dot, that the squad over achieved? That it was a good squad? He is under a lot of pressure. "When will he move home to play for Malmö", "Does he want to stay in Leeds", "WIll he move to the PL", "Is he looking forward to playing for Sweden". So I guess he's trying to answer them all without pissing anyone off.

He'd be bloody daft not to move on if he has an opportunity to play in the PL. Stick with Bielsa's regime, which must be one of the toughest unforgiving there is, or move to a PL and be pampered like a prince for 3-4 years. LIke other articles have speculated in, I don't think he really likes Bielsa or his training methods/philosophy. In the interview he say's he feels like his move home to Malmö is getting closer, he's 29, so this might be his last chance to play at the highest level.


according to wiki pj doesn't turn 29 till february but, yeah, he could be forgiven for thinking that if a PL move doesn't materialise this summer then he won't ever get one. i wouldn't particluarly grudge the guy it, tbh, three seasons is a good chunk of itme to commit to a club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontus_Jansson

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby welshwhite » Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am

Mustafaster wrote:I'm expecting da yoot to play a much bigger part next year.
They all know the system perfectly now. They're a year older and physically stronger.
Shackleton & co. It's your time.


It would be good to see but would they cope with the pressures put upon them if we're in the top six towards the end of the season.

A few old head loan players would be top of my shopping list.

Our rose tinted glasses hope there's another four young players to add to Shacks and Clarke.
In reality it's highly unlikely.

User avatar
moscowhite
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby moscowhite » Thu May 23, 2019 11:37 am

moscowhite wrote:
Yeboah wrote:It’s also why ‘being happy playing ticki tacka’ is just fucking mental. It can’t happen.


I don't think I saw any tiki-taka football last season, that's not how Bielsa's teams play. But I did see Leeds win more games than in any season since 2009/10, which suggests to me that Bielsa's football does win games in this league.

As win percentages, Norwich's was 58.7%, Sheffield United's was 56.5%. They won one more game than we did.

Our win percentage was 54.3%, our best for a league season since 1999/00 (55.3%).


Correction to this; even though I said this was most wins since 2009/10, I then forgot to work out the win percentages in League One.

1999/00: 55.3%

2007/08: 58.7%
2008/09: 56.5%
2009/10: 54.3%

2018/19: 54.3%

Point still stands, that Bielsa's football has given us a once-every-decade level of winning.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Planning for next season

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Didn't know were to put this, any way I hoping this cunt would die soon. Fans would not have clubs without owners. Yeah, try and unline your pockets you utter cunt. Ask Blackpool or Bolton
Andymac

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Planning for next season

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 26, 2019 3:58 pm

Looks like we can plan a day out at Charlton next season, then...

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: Planning for next season

Postby MightyWhite » Sun May 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Sunderland might be more hapless than us. Not one but two Wembley defeats after taking the lead
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

User avatar
sebastianlovemonkey
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Planning for next season

Postby sebastianlovemonkey » Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Looks like we can plan a day out at Charlton next season, then...


Yep job well done for Bowyer. Feel sorry for the mackems a bit. Lad at work drove down this morning with his son, that’s two Wembley trips for them and double the heartache.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests