BPF's last hurrah: it's the Stoke-Leeds match thread.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
throbbinrobin

Re: BPF's last hurrah: it's the Stoke-Leeds match thread.

Postby throbbinrobin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:20 pm

At least one great save and positionally fine, for once. A few he snuffed out by coming smartly when Afobe hared forward.

If you're a shitheel and just don't like him you'll find fault, obnobviously... Personally think the goals were defensive errors, not GK ones.

Cheers BW, was wondering whether he’d done enough to keep his place.
Marchando adelante juntos, vamos a ganar !
Nos somos Leeds !

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Yeah, I'd say so mate, easily. The anticipated On It performance, I thought. He's to keep it up now...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:04 pm

BPF did pretty well on saturday, definitely, but there's no way that kiko came here from madrid to sit on the bench, he'll be starting very soon, it's just a question of when.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 pm

the flying pig wrote:BPF did pretty well on saturday, definitely, but there's no way that kiko came here from madrid to sit on the bench, he'll be starting very soon, it's just a question of when.

agree, it'd be nothing to do with the peacock's performance yesterday, but i can see kiko getting the nod next week simply because of the dodgy recent results so marcelo may want to make a few changes to kick us out of the rut, even though that 'rut' is primarily the result of the attackers.

be interesting to see if berardi plays for the u-23's tomorrow, cos i can see him replacing pontus. personally i wouldn't mind seeing the shack replace ayling, who i thought was below par again yesterday. kalvin into the midfield, klich dropped, roofe dropped and roberts starting up front and edmondson on the bench.

he doesn't normally make many changes as we know, so this is probably nonsense, but i bet recent results will have hurt him, especially with jones claiming to have outsmarted bielsa with his change of tactics. training this week will be additionally intense.

we miss having saiz as an option. :(
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Yeah as much as I’m loath to say it Ayling does feel like one of the weakest components of Bielsa-ball at the moment. Just ball retention alone is problematic, always feels like he’s either giving it away or getting dispossessed. Maybe still feeling his way back from the injury? I wouldn’t be devastated to see Shack in, though equally I’d be happy for Ayling to be allowed to play his way into form.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:40 pm

MightyWhite wrote:Yeah as much as I’m loath to say it Ayling does feel like one of the weakest components of Bielsa-ball at the moment. Just ball retention alone is problematic, always feels like he’s either giving it away or getting dispossessed. Maybe still feeling his way back from the injury? I wouldn’t be devastated to see Shack in, though equally I’d be happy for Ayling to be allowed to play his way into form.

Yeah, dunno. I think for ayling to be offering a lot (let's not forget, for a team at the very top of the table so I'm setting the bar high) both going forward and defending he's got to be physically in perfect shape, which I don't think he is right now, doesn't seem to be moving as well as he was doing early in his leeds career.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:22 am

Ayling had more touches than anyone else in the first half. Didn't think he played badly personally. He also had our best chance, great save from Butland.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:59 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Ayling had more touches than anyone else in the first half. Didn't think he played badly personally. He also had our best chance, great save from Butland.

he just seems to run himself up blind alleys more and more, either ending up with a dodgy pass or losing the ball.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Colonel White

Postby Colonel White » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:13 am

This Jones boasting about changing the formation because Biesla had watched 26 Luton games. Smells a bit to me. Didn’t see the game myself but anyone notice what formation they played and whether that unsettled us at all - midfield diamond, 3-5-2, or what?

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 am

Quiffy wrote:he just seems to run himself up blind alleys more and more

Does he post on these pages? He’d fit right in.
I like it. What is it?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 am

Colonel White wrote:This Jones boasting about changing the formation because Biesla had watched 26 Luton games. Smells a bit to me. Didn’t see the game myself but anyone notice what formation they played and whether that unsettled us at all - midfield diamond, 3-5-2, or what?

Main thing was 3 at the back. Snuffed out Roofe completely, he never got a kick.
Don Marcelo didn't counter it. Orthodox thinking is that if they have 3 at the back you go with a false 9 so they have nobody to mark.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 am

Chieftain626 wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:
Don't expect whole sale changes but it would be nice to get some bodies to take the strain off the players who have pretty much played every game. Phillips in front of the defence is also key he knits everything together so well.

And we haven’t had this luxury for a long time. I suspect Pontus will get a talking too to adjust his attitude down a couple notches very needless booking.

Pontus does seem to come back in, build up into the player we know he can be, then get a bit silly in response to it all, then come a cropper... and repeat. I was expecting the fancy tricks to bring him down eventually, but he found a more boring way. I agree: they'll have a word in his ear.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:27 am

Is it Rovrum he misses?
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 am

Devi wrote:Is it Rovrum he misses?

Yes.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:58 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Devi wrote:Is it Rovrum he misses?

Yes.

could be worse. all games are equally important in terms of the points you get from them but, surely, that's one we'd hope to win with or without him.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am

Ta DL

And what TFP said.
I like it. What is it?

Return to “The Square Ball”