Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
welshwhite

Re: Spies Like Us v Frankly Cunt We Don't Give A Dampard CK

Postby welshwhite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am

Don't spy for me Argentina...

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:04 am

welshwhite wrote:Don't spy for me Argentina...

:salute:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 am

sweeper wrote:So many good performances tonight but a special mention has to go to Alioski, he played like a man possessed. That guy just never stops.

Yep he was a real threat down the left. I actually think it suits him better.

Roofe's performance was also very mature. When the defence were being pressed he was often coming short showing for the ball recieving and then laying it off. showing football intelligence that I didn't think he was capable of based on the two previous seasons.

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Any truth to the ‘pliers’ comment that is being branded around? Also Martin Keown on FF bell end.

Yesterday’s performance was awesome hats off to all of the guys. Forshaw great game after the shocker. Going to try re watch the game today :D

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
sweeper wrote:So many good performances tonight but a special mention has to go to Alioski, he played like a man possessed. That guy just never stops.

Roofe's performance was also very mature. When the defence were being pressed he was often coming short showing for the ball recieving and then laying it off. showing football intelligence that I didn't think he was capable of based on the two previous seasons.

Agreed: Roofe is quite a different player these days. His hold-up play is excellent for a lad his size. Never saw that coming. Truly amazing what Bielsa's team has got out of several of our players.

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:31 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Agreed: Roofe is quite a different player these days. His hold-up play is excellent for a lad his size. Never saw that coming. Truly amazing what Bielsa's team has got out of several of our players.

His strength has got astronomicaly better must of been putting allot of effort in off the pitch and learning how to use his size better against bigger opponents.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Chieftain626 wrote:Any truth to the ‘pliers’ comment that is being branded around?

Not that I've heard. And having seen the setup you wouldn't need to cut fences to watch, and if he had we'd have heard about the criminal damage.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:04 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:

There's no doubt Bielsa is getting more out of a high number of players but Roofe was doing a lot of this last season just in shorter bursts and less often. The QPR games spring to mind mostly but it wasn't just those.

He's consistently improved over his time here and getting that chance as a striker last season certainly highlighted he's a better player than he'd ever looked on the wing.

Similar to Cooper really, there are those who still think he's average at best but he's stepped it up every season and is now one of the best CBs the championship has to offer. Massive leap this season purely because he seems to have pretty much eliminated the brain farts he was prone to.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Its hard to believe that most of our squad are the same ones that's disappointed for the last couple of seasons.

It was a masterstroke by Orta and the club putting them on long term contracts. We'd soon be seeing the likes of Phillips and Roofe leaving for fuck all otherwise,

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:57 pm

welshwhite wrote:Its hard to believe that most of our squad are the same ones that's disappointed for the last couple of seasons.

It was a masterstroke by Orta and the club putting them on long term contracts. We'd soon be seeing the likes of Phillips and Roofe leaving for fuck all otherwise,

:mrgreen:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

dirty leeds wrote:So we apologised: https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ver-spying

We're terribly sorry.
Now fuck off.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:52 pm

welshwhite wrote:Its hard to believe that most of our squad are the same ones that's disappointed for the last couple of seasons.

Roofe got the contract when he signed. Which was a season before Orta arrived.

Phillips was the only renewal which was warranted at the time.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Dallas, Berardi, Ayling & Cooper have been rocks at the back for us this season and well worth their extended contracts.

They were always quality players, they just needed a top manager to bring it out of them.
Giving them the long term contracts has saved us millions on not having to sign replacements in their positions.

Orta was right, I was wrong.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

welshwhite wrote:Orta was right, I was wrong.

Last.season was a fuck up of massive proportions financially, but Radz obviously learned from it and Bielsa cleared the deck when he arrived after listening to the club's advice. That clear out probably cost millions.

This season Orta signed Bielsa.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:45 pm

welshwhite wrote:Dallas, Berardi, Ayling & Cooper have been rocks at the back for us this season and well worth their extended contracts.

They were always quality players, they just needed a top manager to bring it out of them.
Giving them the long term contracts has saved us millions on not having to sign replacements in their positions.

Judging a contract after a good run of performances is never sensible. At the time they were given they didn't make financial sense. The inability to bring in players at the moment backs that up.

They all got improved contracts that will have cost millions.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:42 pm

I mean, it’s barely in English but you get the gist:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Dallas, Berardi, Ayling & Cooper have been rocks at the back for us this season and well worth their extended contracts.

Judging a contract after a good run of performances is never sensible. At the time they were given they didn't make financial sense. The inability to bring in players at the moment backs that up.

They all got improved contracts that will have cost millions.

Apologies, but this is bollocks.

Take it you've never seen good people perform better with a change of management. Assume you'd set their salary based on their blocked performance, not the unleashed one. Strange.

I wonder why players who turn out well elsewhere fail with us. Again, I wonder what the problem might be :scratch:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:22 pm

So it's supporters fault? Sorry thats bollocks this is the most patient set of supporters in the country. The problem at Elland road has been incompetent owners and owners who don't have the best interests at the club at heart. This combined with a distinct lack of any type of planning on the football side has seen so much money wasted on journey men.

Some players have improved this season but the idea they are the only players who could have done so is ludicrous. It's like the silly suggestion that certain posters were putting out the other year that club could only buy certain players and no there players were available.

The contracts given out were irresponsible at the time. Radrizanni even admitted as much on one of his rants last season. Let's not forget a player is judged over their full time at a club not a 20 game period. Dallas playing as utility player reasonably well when he has filled in doesn't justify a pay rise he recieved 18 months ago after 3 average seasons at best (which is very kind).

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 am

Mr Reality wrote:So it's supporters fault? Sorry thats bollocks this is the most patient set of supporters in the country. The problem at Elland road has been incompetent owners and owners who don't have the best interests at the club at heart. This combined with a distinct lack of any type of planning on the football side has seen so much money wasted on journey men.

Some players have improved this season but the idea they are the only players who could have done so is ludicrous. It's like the silly suggestion that certain posters were putting out the other year that club could only buy certain players and no there players were available.

The contracts given out were irresponsible at the time. Radrizanni even admitted as much on one of his rants last season. Let's not forget a player is judged over their full time at a club not a 20 game period. Dallas playing as utility player reasonably well when he has filled in doesn't justify a pay rise he recieved 18 months ago after 3 average seasons at best (which is very kind).

I'm sorry but what? Most patient? We're not even close! If we'd been bottom half right now, even playing the way we are but having drawn every genre we've won by 1 and lost the dramatic 3-2s you can guarantee some would want Bielsa out. Wagner took a couple of seasons to get Huddersfield getting results in a passing style, he'd have lasted about as long as Uwe here with those first season results. The pressure and expectation on our players is immense every season.

I agree ownership has been a bigger problem.

My opinion on this squad last season was that it was top 6 capable. It lost an edge with Wood going but until the Heck had me doubting I felt it was stronger than Monk had, Bartley/Wood aside, I even thought Wiedwald was decent until his confidence was destroyed. In this league, continuity and team work are far more important - Radz tried to give the first of these, he did it too scattergun but the recruitment was worse than the contracts, O'Kane aside.

I'm delighted by Bielsa but I'm not wholly convinced he's taken a bottom half dive to the top, I think he's taken a top 6 side there.

If Bielsa spent August signing players to back fill Berardi, Dallas, Cooper and Klich (most would have moved him on, even after preseason), he'd either have been starting Baker every week or frustrated we didn't have the tools for him to work with. 3 of those are the kind of championship experience we said we needed to buy last season, not the scattergun imports we got. All have played a big part this season. We mostly wanted Bartley or Flint at CB, well, right now Cooper is proving better than both.

Return to “The Square Ball”