Postby FER » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm

Munson wrote:Possible UP...

Yep. :salute:
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Vampire

Re: Roll Over, Play Dead Again DISCUSSION Thread 2019

Postby Vampire » Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Bob Hawke Down?

I don’t usually visit this thread as I view it as extreme bad taste. But since it was inevitable you’d post something about Bob, I’d just like to pay tribute to a great leader, and more importantly a great Australian.

Like all the best political leaders Bob had a degree in economics, and his partnership with Paul Keating opened Australia to the global economy and laid the foundations for an economic performance that has broken global records. They floated the dollar, reduced tariffs, important economic reforms in the labour market and other areas, introduced medicare, invested in education, and a successful superannuation scheme. They understood you needed to manage the economy well to deliver social reform.

But Bob was also a great character - held the record for the yard of ale at Oxford, famously declared any boss disciplining a worker for throwing a sicky after we won the Americas Cup is a “bum,” and simply connected with people.

A great leader and a great Australian.

:salute:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Vampire wrote:great Australian.[/url]

Two words you never see wrote together, unless it's by an Aussie of course.

Dash time.
:basket:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Vampire wrote:

I don’t usually visit this thread as I view it as extreme bad taste.

Fuck off, then.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu May 16, 2019 1:14 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:

Fuck off, then.

Fuck off yourself.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:

Fuck off, then.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andymac

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:

Fuck off, then.

:cheers: :mrgreen:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Vampire wrote:

I don’t usually visit this thread

Thought maybe you had this thread on 'ignore'

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am

FER

Postby FER » Fri May 17, 2019 11:39 am

Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun May 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Just learned that Les Murray died last month.
Won't mean anything to most.
Great poet, and that rarest of beasts, a talented Australian who stayed in Australia.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 6:53 pm

FER wrote:Ash'd Out

Ash-Shoo?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Just learned that Les Murray died last month.
Won't mean anything to most.
Great poet, and that rarest of beasts, a talented Australian who stayed in Australia.

They could have used him in the Eurovision Song Contest. Would have made a great lyricist:

Everything except language
knows the meaning of existence.
Trees, planets, rivers, time
know nothing else. They express it
moment by moment as the universe.

It's bigger than us.
It's bigger than you and me.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 am

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 21, 2019 5:14 am

I vaguely remember there being a glut of jokes about his misfortune when I was at school, but not any of the details.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Tue May 21, 2019 7:40 am

Lauda was a bit of a hero. His bravery and strength of will to return after the crash was nothing short of incredible...

From wiki

On 1 August 1976 during the second lap at the very fast left kink before Bergwerk, Lauda was involved in an accident where his Ferrari swerved off the track, hit an embankment, burst into flames, and made contact with Brett Lunger's Surtees-Ford car. Unlike Lunger, Lauda was trapped in the wreckage. Drivers Arturo Merzario, Lunger, Guy Edwards, and Harald Ertl arrived at the scene a few moments later, but before Merzario was able to pull Lauda from his car, he suffered severe burns to his head and inhaled hot toxic gases that damaged his lungs and blood. As Lauda was wearing a modified helmet, the foam had compressed and it slid off his head after the accident, leaving his face exposed to the fire.[9] Although Lauda was conscious and able to stand immediately after the accident, he later lapsed into a coma.[10]

Lauda suffered extensive scarring from the burns to his head, losing most of his right ear as well as the hair on the right side of his head, his eyebrows, and his eyelids. He chose to limit reconstructive surgery to replacing the eyelids and getting them to work properly. After the accident he always wore a cap to cover the scars on his head. He arranged for sponsors to use the cap for advertising.

With Lauda out of the contest, Carlos Reutemann was taken on as his replacement. Ferrari boycotted the Austrian Grand Prix in protest at what they saw as preferential treatment shown towards McLaren driver James Hunt at the Spanish and British Grands Prix.

Return to racing
Edit
Lauda missed only two races, appearing at the Monza press conference six weeks after the accident with his fresh burns still bandaged. He finished fourth in the Italian GP, despite being, by his own admission, absolutely petrified. F1 journalist Nigel Roebuck recalls seeing Lauda in the pits, peeling the blood-soaked bandages off his scarred scalp. He also had to wear a specially adapted crash helmet so as to not be in too much discomfort. In Lauda's absence, Hunt had mounted a late charge to reduce Lauda's lead in the World Championship standings. Hunt and Lauda were friends away from the circuit, and their personal on-track rivalry, while intense, was cleanly contested and fair. Following wins in the Canadian and United States Grands Prix, Hunt stood only three points behind Lauda before the final race of the season, the Japanese Grand Prix.

Lauda qualified third, one place behind Hunt, but on race day there was torrential rain and Lauda retired after two laps. He later said that he felt it was unsafe to continue under these conditions, especially since his eyes were watering excessively because of his fire-damaged tear ducts and inability to blink.

RIP
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 21, 2019 8:05 am

Wakefield White wrote:Lauda was a bit of a hero. His bravery and strength of will to return after the crash was nothing short of incredible...

Yeah, looking back I vaguely remember him through an early example of being exposed to fuckwit patriotic zeal: think I expressed the opinion in the playground that he was a better driver than Shunt, and being told to fuck off back to somewhere I hadn't come from.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 pm

She died 11th May, it says.

You'd think the care home would've noticed quicker, but these are the times in which we live...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Wakefield White wrote:Lauda was a bit of a hero. His bravery and strength of will to return after the crash was nothing short of incredible...

Yeah, looking back I vaguely remember him through an early example of being exposed to fuckwit patriotic zeal: think I expressed the opinion in the playground that he was a better driver than Shunt, and being told to fuck off back to somewhere I hadn't come from.

The film Rush captures his recovery really well.

Return to “The Square Ball”