O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Oheddieeddie

Re: O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am

Blackwhite wrote:Don't know about the male BC thing, and I'm on the beach so ain't looking.

Ask me again in a week or so.

Oohh la-de-dar, get her etc

Ain't Whitley Bay a bit cold this time of year?

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:15 pm

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Yeah, good for them I think. The more people do what they can to make a public noise the better.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Came across an alternative to google, it claims that all profits are used to plant trees, over 43 million of them so far.

You search the web, we plant trees.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Nice concept but i'll only believe it when they have a live cam showing a little Irish fella spade in hand planting the trees,coz that ticker looks suspect.

I'm gullible though so shall give it a whirl.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:06 pm

We're destroying the planet, lads

Sending even a short email is estimated to add about four grammes (0.14 ounces) of CO2 equivalent (gCO2e) to the atmosphere.

To put this into perspective, the carbon output of hitting "send" on 65 mails is on par with driving an average-sized car a kilometre (0.6 of a mile).

It gets worse when you send an email with a large attachment, which puts about 50 gCO2e into the air. Five such messages are like burning about 120 grammes (0.27 pounds) of coal.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Anyone’s offspring doing the school strike on Friday? If nothing else it’s affording the opportunity for some good - if I’m sure dull to him - conversations with Step Devi around what government might do to prolong planetary life.
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm

I disappeared down one of your google wormholes today, on Inevitable Near Term Human Extinction (INTHE).

Fuck.

Basically there’s a whole set of people who think we’ve screwed it beyond repair already and that we might even have as little as ten years. Firstly, there’s a whole argument about scientists having a natural tendency to under present how bad things are, and people are unwilling to comprehend the idea that there’s nothing we can do. Secondly, whilst we understand ideas about global warming, insect collapse etc, we don’t really begin to understand how they amplify each other or the impact of sudden massive crop failure etc. If this doesn’t kill us, resource wars, migration, the failure of nuclear power stations etc will.

There’s a secondary position which doesn’t consider extinction so much as the idea of total societal collapse. If you have time and fancy some joy, read this or listen.

Just be nice if we got back to the Prem before the end of football.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:19 pm

Some things are not good to consider unprepared and unargued mate: tie a rope around your ass. You could go mad worrying about it.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:02 am

eric olthwaite wrote:I disappeared down one of your google wormholes today, on Inevitable Near Term Human Extinction (INTHE).

Fuck.

Basically there’s a whole set of people who think we’ve screwed it beyond repair already and that we might even have as little as ten years. Firstly, there’s a whole argument about scientists having a natural tendency to under present how bad things are, and people are unwilling to comprehend the idea that there’s nothing we can do. Secondly, whilst we understand ideas about global warming, insect collapse etc, we don’t really begin to understand how they amplify each other or the impact of sudden massive crop failure etc. If this doesn’t kill us, resource wars, migration, the failure of nuclear power stations etc will.

There’s a secondary position which doesn’t consider extinction so much as the idea of total societal collapse. If you have time and fancy some joy, read this or listen.

Just be nice if we got back to the Prem before the end of football.

Oh yep reet clever fckers us humans, live to 120 it's great! Interfere with natural selection it's great! Inoculate everywhere! Cure this cure that asap don't let time itself do it we've got huge fantastic brains....Let's try and get 20 billion on the planet asap.. Then 30 if we can! :lol: :lol:

Then sleepwalk into the disaster that no doubt awaits. :thumbl:

" But Professor Guillebaud said: "We urgently need to stabilise and reduce human numbers. There is no way that a population of nine billion - the UN's medium forecast for 2050 - can meet its energy needs without unacceptable damage to the planet and a great deal of human misery."

Nah fck it let's carry on it feeds capitalism.....You have a small village of 300 people and served by 1 village store....Hey lightbulb moment put 900 people in that village we can open 3 village stores, good thinking Einstein.
Masters of our own downfall...There are none so blind as those that will not see.

:basket:
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:20 pm

"Now c'mon move along, there's nowt to see here, nothing to be concerned about, nowt medicine from 17th century can't fix"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_ove ... _curve.svg

Smashin,just fcking smashin :salute:

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Nope.

I just can’t do it.

Try and try as I have to understand, I simply can not work out what the point is that you’re trying to make, Kenny.
I like it. What is it?

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Quite simple really, we interfered.

I'm not saying whether it was morally right or wrong, it's a simple fact that we altered our natural course of evolution, it cannot be disputed, we did and that's that.
What we'll become fck knows, but we'll also now never know where not interfering would have taken us, 15ft humans? who knows? It's altered now and we seem to be doing just fine yes?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Devi wrote:Nope.

I just can’t do it.

Try and try as I have to understand, I simply can not work out what the point is that you’re trying to make, Kenny.

kennyb41, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Reads ok to me, Devi.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm

kennyb41 wrote:Quite simple really, we interfered.

I'm not saying whether it was morally right or wrong, it's a simple fact that we altered our natural course of evolution, it cannot be disputed, we did and that's that.
What we'll become fck knows, but we'll also now never know where not interfering would have taken us, 15ft humans? who knows? It's altered now and we seem to be doing just fine yes?

Kenny, how much do you actually know about evolution?
Do you think it's about the survival of the fittest?
Do you reckon it works on individuals or populations?
Are you a saltationist or a gradualist?
Is Alioski better suited to the LB role than Douglas in a Bielsa team?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:59 pm

kennyb41 wrote:I'm not saying whether it was morally right or wrong, it's a simple fact that we altered our natural course of evolution, it cannot be disputed, we did and that's that.

This makes no sense at all Kenny. Spiders evolved, penguins evolved, trees evolved. We evolved. We haven’t altered our ‘natural course of evolution’ because that ‘natural course’ is exactly where we have ended up. That we have evolved to make decisions which might make us extinct is not unnatural.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:11 pm

It doesn't matter what you or I think or know in our wisdom we altered it whether that involved part of our evolution or not, the simple fact is, we did.

Against these, Douglas.
But so is Shack at RB, Roberts up top, Harrison on bench, Alioski at LM, Klich on bench, Pablo pulling the strings, Izzy starting etc etc etc. But let's see what a good team talk can achieve tonight.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Here, read all this wilya, I can't be arsed...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1852567/

When ya get tert thend let me know what tha thinks.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Gradualist i suppose, that somehow made some fcking huge leaps lol.

Return to “The Square Ball”