O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:50 pm

welshwhite wrote:My water heating device boils the water in about two minutes.
With the clever lid I can add as much water that's needed for each session of coffee merrimentation.
The downside is I have to pick it up to pour the water out of it.
The upside is I can make six mugs of coffee in under four minutes.

Hooray for Mr Kettle and his invention :cheers:

"Coffee". I'm hearing jar. And about four sugars. How wrong am I? :mrgreen:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
welshwhite wrote:My water heating device boils the water in about two minutes.
With the clever lid I can add as much water that's needed for each session of coffee merrimentation.
The downside is I have to pick it up to pour the water out of it.
The upside is I can make six mugs of coffee in under four minutes.

Hooray for Mr Kettle and his invention :cheers:

"Coffee". I'm hearing jar. And about four sugars. How wrong am I? :mrgreen:

One sweetener, decaf, and you're very close :thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Decaf :thumbd:

Sweetener :puker:

Like you give a fuck :mrgreen: :salute:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:20 pm

What are your thoughts on the Impossible Burger?

Basically a meat free burger that apparently looks, tastes, has the same texture and smells like the real thing, and it is good for the environment. Currently selling at hundreds of places across the US. Anyone had one?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:26 pm

OWETB wrote:What are your thoughts on the Impossible Burger?

Basically a meat free burger that apparently looks, tastes, has the same texture and smells like the real thing, and it is good for the environment. Currently selling at hundreds of places across the US. Anyone had one?

dunno m8.

but some of those numbers you see bandied about, about the like-for-like carbon footprint of veggie food vs meat/dairy, are a bit iffy imo, since they usually compare [e.g.] co2 per gram of food produced, not co2 per calorie, meat/dairy is usually very calorific per gram, so you'd need to eat a lot of vege stuff to get the same number of calories innit.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Is that a bad thing though? A Whopper with cheese meal is over a thousand calories, and that is without sauces or drinks. If a false burger drops that down to less than 500, that can only be a good thing.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:57 pm

the flying pig wrote:but some of those numbers you see bandied about, about the like-for-like carbon footprint of veggie food vs meat/dairy, are a bit iffy imo,

Theyre not even slightly iffy. You can google it and youll find ablut a million articles explaining the environmental impact of [especially] beef production. One basic fact they quote all over the place is that "51 percent or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture," Which is a ridiculous number considering how much shit other industry, fuel and aviation gets. What would beef cost if it was taxed at the same rate as petrol?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:29 pm

topbin wrote:And Eric - the best thing you can possible do for sustainability if you’re worried about water/nutrients usage over anything else is to cut out meat as much as possible. The redder (and tastier) it is, the worse it is for the environment.

I’m gonna start going ‘less-meat’ in a couple of months once the wife is done breast feeding, I.e. don’t just go for it with every meal but have it as a treat instead.

the flying pig wrote:but some of those numbers you see bandied about, about the like-for-like carbon footprint of veggie food vs meat/dairy, are a bit iffy imo, since they usually compare [e.g.] co2 per gram of food produced, not co2 per calorie, meat/dairy is usually very calorific per gram, so you'd need to eat a lot of vege stuff to get the same number of calories innit.

Meant to reply to your comment before, Topbin. In principle, I agree. A couple of observations on all of the meat vs vegan mullarkey.

There's an oft-quoted statistic somewhere to the effect that the human race would need three planets if everyone consumed resources at the rate of the 'developed' world - ie our continued lifestyle is contingent on an awful lot of people consuming significantly less.

But I read a blog recently (can't find it now. typically) suggesting that a lot of stuff written about veganism wildly overestimates the availability of land for crops. There are various (typically arid) parts of the globe where the human diet is pretty much meat dependent: we need animals to convert scrub plants we could not digest into meat we can. So I s'pose the point is that the world could never be vegan - at least not without a massive population drop - but we need to figure out how that meat is best produced and who gets to eat it.

I think the most efficient farming nation on the planet is the Netherlands, and that's because they've committed huge acreages to greenhouses. Crops grow under glass all year round, use less water and less volume of pesticides. I think we need to head the same way. Maybe serious consideration should be given to red meat rationing.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Eat the rich.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Seriously mate, don't. We have them at my work and there constantly broken or in clean mode. Cleaning routines are a cunt, get an aeropress. Twenty quid or so. Clean in seconds. Does whatever style you want, really. Only waste goes on the compost.

i've taken this advice BW, it arrived this afternoon and i'm buzzing off my tits. :D

i used to make espressos, freshly ground and all that, but problems sleeping meant i knocked coffee on the head about a year ago and the espresso machine went upstairs to the loft.

months later tiredness meant i was popping in to the sainsbury's by work to buy energy drinks, soon after i dabbled with the instant espressos, was still sleeping and then i read this thread.

the taste of the instant espressos was utter garbage after being used to proper coffee, but they had the benefit of being able to make half a mugs worth, then i saw the aeropress, thought that sounds good, a nice price and could be taken camping. and it is good, just done my first upside down brew, a bit of brown sugar and rediscovered what coffee ought to taste like. :cheers:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Excellent, very glad for you. For what it's worth I'd ignored them for ages as hipster faddery until Moscow (possibly also A.N.Other) put me right. It's like the circle of life, Simba, but more jittery.

I like body in my coffee, and the little cunt delivers like a mokka or better

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:17 pm

I dunno, I find hyperbolic contrarian articles like this a bit irritating. I just suspect they set out to provide a one-liner when reality may be more complex. But, y'know, take from it what you will.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 pm

I found myself without a motor for a few days last week, so it was either taxis or walking. I was in town which is maybe 2 miles away and decided to walk home, it was about 4pm. The walk involves a busy road which I drive up and down near enough every day, as soon as I got onto this road - I tasted it, the acrid taste of pollution. Yes I've smelled it before but tasted it? Fuck me, it was absolutely vile, people are walking up and down that road all the time being exposed to this shit, a little further up there are houses - fuck me, I would never be able to have my windows open. I'm not surprised people are dying at a fairly significant rate with pollution being attributed to fucking their lungs which in turn causes their deaths.

We need more electric motors, only problem with them is charging the cunts.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Where I work at the moment, it’s about a 20 minute walk in London from the station to the office, including crossing one bridge which is always - when I cross it - standing traffic in both directions.

Just from those few minutes, the wife often says my clothes smell of exhaust when I get it. London’s really fucking grim these days like that. If you’re near a busy road most of the time, you’re screwed.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Diesel is the pits. Needs banning.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Diesel is the pits. Needs banning.

It is but my fuel economy is excellent and I pay £20 a year tax.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:39 pm

AndyPaul wrote:

How would you feel if it cost twice as much per litre and tax was insane?

Mrs BW winds me up about this, every time I have to pay a monkey in tax and hers is the choker, mine just turns dinosaur juice into water and fun* :x

*and a bit of fizz

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:

How would you feel if it cost twice as much per litre and tax was insane?

Mrs BW winds me up about this, every time I have to pay a monkey in tax and hers is the choker, mine just turns dinosaur juice into water and fun* :x

*and a bit of fizz

This is exactly it. I’d rather have a cleaner car even if it cost a bit more but my car is so much cheaper to run that until the government eventually hammer the cost of diesel I’ll keep with it.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm

AndyPaul wrote:

Company car tax on diesels now is getting ridiculous but fuel economy means the company won't look at other options. Can't go electric because of the pain in the arse charging them and the shitty range they have. A lot of the hybrids are a bag of shit for the silly money they cost.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”